Reasons we can catch the Twins

caulfield12

Reasons to think MINN will come back to us...which also, of course, involve us playing better and the Tigers tanking a bit as well

1) Mauer has a bad heel (lingering problems) and only has 2 homers

2) JJ Hardy is hurt, forcing them to play Punto and Harris more often

3) Jon Rauch

4) Mauer always is a little "touchy" with various injury issues (see 1, had to stretch it out to ten somehow)

5) Liriano is coming back down to earth after starting 4-0

6) Carl Pavano can't really be relied upon for a full season, can he?

7) Nick Punto in the line-up at any time (like our Vizquel/Kotsay)

8) Kubel isn't as good as he has been the last couple of seasons, same with Denard Span

9) They don't have Valentino Pascucci at 1B

10) Because I don't want to be bored the next four months like July-September 2006 and 2007

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Reasons to think MINN will come back to us...which also, of course, involve us playing better and the Tigers tanking a bit as well

3) Jon Rauch

4) Mauer always is a little "touchy" with various injury issues (see 1, had to stretch it out to ten somehow)

8) Kubel isn't as good as he has been the last couple of seasons, same with Denard Span

10) Because I don't want to be bored the next four months like July-September 2006 and 2007

Ah you changed it. I was about to call you out because you had that as Morneau at first.

Mauers game has never been a HR game, he just keeps getting hits. The injury issue is definitely something to keep an eye on

ps: you better go to the AL Central thread and change your bad heel comment there too ;)

Reasons to think MINN will come back to us...which also, of course, involve us playing better and the Tigers tanking a bit as well Since we're only up 2 games to the Indians and Royals, they better play badly as well.

1) Mauer has a bad heel (lingering problems) and only has 2 homers On the other hand, what if he continues to heal properly?

2) JJ Hardy is hurt, forcing them to play Punto and Harris more often Wouldn't they then play better when he returns?

3) Jon Rauch How badly do you think he's going to fall off? He certainly hasn't been bad for his career.

4) Mauer always is a little "touchy" with various injury issues (see 1, had to stretch it out to ten somehow) Like you said, stretch.

5) Liriano is coming back down to earth after starting 4-0 I'd say the chances are better that he gets hurt rather than he continues to decline.

6) Carl Pavano can't really be relied upon for a full season, can he? Wouldn't be the first time the Twins got a great season from a mediocre player.

7) Nick Punto in the line-up at any time (like our Vizquel/Kotsay) Doesn't this happen all of the time, every year?

8) Kubel isn't as good as he has been the last couple of seasons, same with Denard Span If we expect our guys to get closer to career numbers, shouldn't he?

Sorry, sometimes it's fun to rain on another person's parade. :lol:

3) Jon Rauch

The twins may not be this good all year, but we may be this bad.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
But the reason we won't: Our starting pitchers can't protect a f***in lead.

I hate when our pitchers give up more than the token run our anemic offense scores. The offense scored its token run, our pitchers just need to stone up and throw shutouts.

I hate when our pitchers give up more than the token run our anemic offense scores. The offense scored its token run, our pitchers just need to stone up and throw shutouts.

Amen. Anybody who mentions anything negative about Danks tonight is simply off base.

My god.

#1 Reason: TCQ and Beckham are gonna start hitting like they are capable of and we will start winning games like todays.

If that doesn't happen, then thank god for the Hawks & the World Cup to hold me over til Bears training camp, cause this team will be going nowhere.

TCQ one day might get it, but he seems too jittery. I wonder if he'll ever be calm at the plate and drive the ball like Paulie. Didn't it take Paulie a few years to figure it out before he became an ultra stud?

Beckham ... who'd a thunk it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
TCQ one day might get it, but he seems too jittery. I wonder if he'll ever be calm at the plate and drive the ball like Paulie. Didn't it take Paulie a few years to figure it out before he became an ultra stud?

ultra stud? when did I miss that?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
#1 Reason: TCQ and Beckham are gonna start hitting like they are capable of and we will start winning games like todays.

If that doesn't happen, then thank god for the Hawks & the World Cup to hold me over til Bears training camp, cause this team will be going nowhere.

I hate to s*** on your parade, but the Bears are the 3rd best team in their division, just like the Sox are. If people think Ozzie and Kenny are bad, Lovie and Jerry are 10 times worse. If the Bulls strike out on the Lebron sweepstakes, then for the next 3-4 years or so the Hawks will be the only team in town with any chance of winning anything(hopefully in a few weeks it will be winning again) If the Sox can't turn it around, then the only thing I'll be looking forward to sports wise is the Hawks ring ceremony in October. (crosses fingers)

Edited by Elgin Slim

Tonight's game is another reason we ain't catching anybody. We'll battle the Royals for the bottom slot in the division.

Nix's error ... we play just well enough to lose. That was key.

The CQ and Lexi choke at bats in the ninth. We play just well enough to lose.

I will give some credit to Pierre. He's resembling an actual big league player the past couple weeks and is much less hate-able.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)
Tonight's game is another reason we ain't catching anybody. We'll battle the Royals for the bottom slot in the division.

Nix's error ... we play just well enough to lose. That was key.

The CQ and Lexi choke at bats in the ninth. We play just well enough to lose.

I will give some credit to Pierre. He's resembling an actual big league player the past couple weeks and is much less hate-able.

Even Hawk is thoroughly disgusted. He's said a few times recently that the defense has been "at best, bad". If it wasn't for Nix's TWO errors on one play, Konerko's homer ties the game in the ninth. But, like you said, TCQ and Alexei choked as usual.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 20, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
Even Hawk is thoroughly disgusted. He's said a few times recently that the defense has been "at best, bad". If it wasn't for Nix's TWO errors on one play, Konerko's homer ties the game in the ninth. But, like you said, TCQ and Alexei choked as usual.

You simply cannot build a team around pitching and have a bad defensive team. It won't work. It has never worked. Until the White Sox put some importance on defense and getting on base we will get the annual "I believe in the talent" speeches from KW signalling dissappointing results.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2010 -> 06:32 AM)
You simply cannot build a team around pitching and have a bad defensive team. It won't work. It has never worked. Until the White Sox put some importance on defense and getting on base we will get the annual "I believe in the talent" speeches from KW signalling dissappointing results.

Absolutely true. But the problem is the individual players aren't bad defensive players (with the exception of Teahen) but they seem to take turns screwing up.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
I think we should have a thread that contains a recap of tonights game entitled, Reasons we can't catch the Twins..

Reason #25. Jayson Nix at 3rd.

;)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
But the reason we won't: Our starting pitchers can't protect a f***in lead.

this would make more sense in green