Day 2 Draft thread

southsider2k5

Thunderbolt, you are preaching a philosophy that would ruin a club in terms of drafting. Drafting for need in the later rounds? C'mon!

The best drafting teams pick the best available, end of story. They'll figure out the details later, but if you always of talent in the system those details are good ones to have.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Sweet, probably the 2nd best QB in Chicago now! Can he bring those hot cheerleaders from Hoover High School with him?

I use to live in Hoover. Regions Park is down the street from the high school.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Who's he talking about, KW Jr?

Super stud Kenny Williams Jr.? He's playing everyday and hitting 6th...instead of a guy (Ozzie Lewis) who's hitting .300. I'll vomit if KW Jr. ever wears a Barons uniform.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 07:54 PM)
Super stud Kenny Williams Jr.? He's playing everyday and hitting 6th...instead of a guy (Ozzie Lewis) who's hitting .300. I'll vomit if KW Jr. ever wears a Barons uniform.

Better get your barf bags and tic tacs ready.

It's a lock he'll move up eventually.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
So, it turns out that Ozzie actually was really upset that Ozney fell. This coming from a guy who said that we shoudn't draft the kid as a favor to him. It's not a surpise to see how his children behave, when he himself acts like a hypocritical child. http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...-usf-bound.html

Reality is...it's probably his family matters that contributed to him plummeting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 03:35 AM)
Reality is...it's probably his family matters that contributed to him plummeting.

It may have been a contributing factor, but teams do like to draft players with good bloodlines. Ozney just isn't a good prospect. He was expected to be drafted in the late teens to early 20's and he's expected to go to college.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Thunderbolt, you are preaching a philosophy that would ruin a club in terms of drafting. Drafting for need in the later rounds? C'mon!

The best drafting teams pick the best available, end of story. They'll figure out the details later, but if you always of talent in the system those details are good ones to have.

What teams do this? Everyone drafts for need at some point. And just because Team X happens to land a player in the 18th round who was slotted top-5 and then gets to keep him because of a large bonus doesn't mean that said team had been going BPA all the way up to that point. All drafts are full of easy signs/overdrafts/areas-of-weakness players, etc.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
So, it turns out that Ozzie actually was really upset that Ozney fell. This coming from a guy who said that we shoudn't draft the kid as a favor to him. It's not a surpise to see how his children behave, when he himself acts like a hypocritical child. http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...-usf-bound.html

Did you read the article?

"It's not a happy day for us, but in the meanwhile, we got to go through it and move on

Ok, his son was drafted about 10 rounds later than they, and many scouts, thought he might be. That's understandable they'd be a little disappointed.

"I give my kid 50 grand just to go to school," the elder Guillen said. "I got 50 grand in my pocket to send my kid to go to Niketown or buy something. I don't need the money. But I respect scouts. I respect the scouts' opinion with all my heart.

How inflammatory!

"I hope the 20 guys they picked before help us or help the White Sox, and everyone has different opinion, and I respect their opinion. And now I talked to (sons) Ozzie and Oney, and we might think about family, not baseball. But I'm a baseball man. And I'm a very (big) baseball man. I saw him play and I saw him compete against a lot of people out there and I think this kid, it might help him to improve himself in a lot of situation

Seriously, what is wrong with that statement? Disappointment does not equate to anger. He even admits to people having varying opinions.

"I think the 22nd round in high school doesn't mean anything," Ozzie Guillen said. "I think the White Sox did what I told them ... I don't need any favors or he doesn't need any favors. In the meanwhile, it's kind of hard. His expectations, not mine, were a little higher. He thought he was a little better player than what other people think."

As is the case with a lot of young players.

Seriously, what is with this getting pissed off just for the sake of getting pissed off lately. (I'm not saying it's just you btw.)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
This kid has an unhealthy obsession with Chocolate Milk. From his bio: PERSONAL: Born in September of 1988... son of Roger and Debbie Murray... brother Greg played baseball at Pacific (2007-08)... goal for the season is to help the team as much as possible... thinks the best thing about being a student-athlete is priority registration and the free showers and soap... chose USF because of the coaches, it is close to home and has great weather... would like to be the Nesquick Bunny for a day so he could drink chocolate milk all day... lists Kobe Bryant as the most impressive person he has ever met... would like to backpack around the West Coast after graduation... favorite sports hero is Greg Maddux... favorite movie is Big Daddy... favorite book is Mental ABC's of Pitching... favorite musical artist is Bob Marley... favorite food is chocolate milk... hobbies include ping pong and drinking chocolate milk... majoring in Environmental Studies.

OK, I changed my mind on my AAP from this draft - I want THIS guy. LOL @ free showers and soap.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)

If you actually read the article, you'd see that...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)

Ok, his son was drafted about 10 rounds later than they, and many scouts, thought he might be. That's understandable they'd be a little disappointed.

How inflammatory!

Seriously, what is wrong with that statement? Disappointment does not equate to anger. He even admits to people having varying opinions.

Seriously, what is with this getting pissed off just for the sake of getting pissed off lately. (I'm not saying it's just you btw.)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)

How inflammatory!

Thank you, I thought I was alone in not seeing what was so inflammatory about the quotes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
If you actually read the article, you'd see that...

Look at this in the greater context of this year, On the 5th of the month, Ozzie said this to Merkin, "I respect the scouts' opinion about how low or how high they have my kid." He would later say to KW "Don't feel any pressure about him being my kid," Ozzie said. "Whatever team out there thinks he's good enough for them, that's fine with me." He would couch that by asking the organization not draft his kid as favor to him but on talent alone. Now on the 8th we get, ""Obviously, it's a disappointment," said the White Sox manager … shortly after his son was selected." Despite, Guillen’s admission to not having talked to “anyone involved with the Draft to see where their projections had Ozney slotted. “ Ozzie felt the need to talk through both sides of his mouth here, "I saw him play, and it surprised me that he [fell] that far before getting picked," Guillen said of his son. "I know baseball a little bit. This kid has a good future as long as he doesn't get hurt. ...” This seems fair to me, he is the kids’ father after all. I’d be disappointed too, but he doesn’t let it lye there, “Twenty-second round? Anybody can go 22nd round," Guillen said. "I respect the scouts' opinion with all my heart. I hope the 20 guys they pick before [Ozney] help us or help the White Sox ... But I'm a baseball man. I saw him play, and I saw him compete against a lot of people out there and I think this kid -- it might help him to improve himself. “ This is an interesting section here. We have Ozzie couching his comments with, "i respect the scouts' opinions" while saying that what they thought about his kid was wrong (in his baseball experiences) He finishes this off with saying that Ozney should use this as an incentive to improve himself. Which is exactly right, and is what he should have been saying all along. “I think the 22nd round in high school doesn't mean anything. I think the White Sox did what I told them ...” Ozzie is trying to say in the most diplomatic fashion possible, that the White Sox scouts were wrong. He'll say later that they pretty much dicked him over. Despite, Ozzie's admission that the White Sox simply did what he told them, he goes on to say that the drafting was a slap in the face, and that he’d pay Ozney the sighing bonus he would have received NOT to sign with the White Sox. Ozzie approached this from two ways, as a good point of adversity for Ozney and as an attack on the Guillen Family, by the White Sox organization. You can’t have it both ways.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Look at this in the greater context of this year, On the 5th of the month, Ozzie said this to Merkin, "I respect the scouts' opinion about how low or how high they have my kid." He would later say to KW "Don't feel any pressure about him being my kid," Ozzie said. "Whatever team out there thinks he's good enough for them, that's fine with me." He would couch that by asking the organization not draft his kid as favor to him but on talent alone. Now on the 8th we get, ""Obviously, it's a disappointment," said the White Sox manager … shortly after his son was selected." Despite, Guillen’s admission to not having talked to “anyone involved with the Draft to see where their projections had Ozney slotted. “ Ozzie felt the need to talk through both sides of his mouth here, "I saw him play, and it surprised me that he [fell] that far before getting picked," Guillen said of his son. "I know baseball a little bit. This kid has a good future as long as he doesn't get hurt. ...” This seems fair to me, he is the kids’ father after all. I’d be disappointed too, but he doesn’t let it lye there, “Twenty-second round? Anybody can go 22nd round," Guillen said. "I respect the scouts' opinion with all my heart. I hope the 20 guys they pick before [Ozney] help us or help the White Sox ... But I'm a baseball man. I saw him play, and I saw him compete against a lot of people out there and I think this kid -- it might help him to improve himself. “ This is an interesting section here. We have Ozzie couching his comments with, "i respect the scouts' opinions" while saying that what they thought about his kid was wrong (in his baseball experiences) He finishes this off with saying that Ozney should use this as an incentive to improve himself. Which is exactly right, and is what he should have been saying all along. “I think the 22nd round in high school doesn't mean anything. I think the White Sox did what I told them ...” Ozzie is trying to say in the most diplomatic fashion possible, that the White Sox scouts were wrong. He'll say later that they pretty much dicked him over. Despite, Ozzie's admission that the White Sox simply did what he told them, he goes on to say that the drafting was a slap in the face, and that he’d pay Ozney the sighing bonus he would have received NOT to sign with the White Sox. Ozzie approached this from two ways, as a good point of adversity for Ozney and as an attack on the Guillen Family, by the White Sox organization. You can’t have it both ways.

In the article from above? No he didnt.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)

The only one wanting it both ways is you. Ozzie said absolutely nothing - zero - to indicate he felt this was somr sort of attack on his family as you state, or that it was a slap in the face, etc. Ozzie said beforehand that he felt his son was a strong player who could contribute, but that he respected the scouts' opinions. Afterwards, he expressed disappointment that he wasn't drafted higher, and then reiterated the exact same things. He has been quite consistent, and not inflammatory in the slightest. Your opinions about Ozzie's feelings are not reflected in the reality of that article.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
Thank you, I thought I was alone in not seeing what was so inflammatory about the quotes.

Yeah, I'm with the growing numbers. He's allowed to be mad that his son wasn't picked higher. I don't think he was mad at the White Sox specifically, just a frustrated parent.

This is the latest from my GT source about Grimes: This kid has so much potential that he was drafted higher than expected. His Junior year he was an All-American and going to be a sure fire top 5 round lock. Then he was hurt all summer long and hurt his status, well he sure did bounce back strong. Id give him a 30 percent chance he lands at GT.