Does AJ get traded this weekend?

southsider2k5

AJ trade poll  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does AJ get traded this weekend, or does he get his 10/5 rights?

• He Gawn!
    • WhiteSox4life!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point does it become time to move on from a 33-year old catcher who is showing signs of decline, can't hold or throw out a baserunner, has an expiring contract, and has a terribe approach at the plate? How about when your team is terrible, has a promising catcher waiting in the wings, and when it looks like you can actually get something for him. Eventually, we're all going to have to move on from the 2005 Good Feelings tour. Now, is as good a time as ever.

If AJ gets traded, I fully expect Castro merely to become the starter, don't you?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
If AJ gets traded, I fully expect Castro merely to become the starter, don't you?

No, I would assume it would be Flowers with Castro keeping his current role..

If you are making the move to trade AJ, you need to see what you have in Flowers..

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 07:23 AM)
What's the word on Salty besides the fact that he can't throw the ball back to the pitcher? How's his hitting?

His minor league numbers have progressively worsened since he put up a 1.022 OPS in 2007 in AA for the Braves. Currently he's sporting a .774 OPS for the Rangers AAA team. He's a revival project at the least.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:25 AM)

You don't trade a veteran in a down year, to start another verteran in a down year, Flowers will start and Castro will either follow A.J. out or continue catching once a week.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
You don't trade a veteran in a down year, to start another verteran in a down year, Flowers will start and Castro will either follow A.J. out or continue catching once a week.

Castro has, throughout his career, been a pretty good option as a RH platoon/backup catcher. You really don't ask for more than a .750 ish OPS from those guys, and he's reliably given teams that.

What teams are out there that are missing a solid backup C or missing a RH C?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
I'd just demand Smoak.

Hmmm, didn't I say something about how the White Sox should have drafted him? In fact, they passed on him.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
AJ is not going anywhere... at least not right now. I don't think he'll have a problem approving a trade to a contender after his 10/5 rights kick in.

Except he's at least strongly suggested that once June 13th passes "They can't trade me".

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 06:23 AM)
What's the word on Salty besides the fact that he can't throw the ball back to the pitcher? How's his hitting?

I say if they trade A.J. to Texas, KW asks for Salty first, if he's turned down, then ask for Chris Davis. If all he gets back is some pitiful RHP from low A, then what a waste. The White Sox need to get position players, especially left handed power hitters, in any trade from here on out.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
I say if they trade A.J. to Texas, KW asks for Salty first, if he's turned down, then ask for Chris Davis. If all he gets back is some pitiful RHP from low A, then what a waste. The White Sox need to get position players, especially left handed power hitters, in any trade from here on out.

I have zero problem with targeting RHP from low-A ball if there's a scout who really likes that person and says that in a year or two he could be a star.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
I have zero problem with targeting RHP from low-A ball if there's a scout who really likes that person and says that in a year or two he could be a star.

The White Sox need bats.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)

I would. Guillen likes to take his rookies and give them the best possible match ups to try to get them off on the right foot.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
Bats passed their prime, no thank you.

So, if KW was, hypothetically, able to move Peavy's contract by the end of 2011 and was able to bring up Hudson and another RHP starter, and thus had freed up say $20 million in salary, and he decided to blow it all at once on Prince Fielder, you'd be mad because Fielder is past his prime?