Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

Charlie Shirek was looking like a trade piece in the first half this year, putting up very solid numbers for the most part (except the low K rate). Then he got hurt, but he's back now, injury was apparently minor. He's a guy who might get moved, as part of a deal. He's got a far higher ceiling than Torres, but isn't major-league ready yet.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we keep Arizona in the mix for a three team deal, but instead have them send Edwin Jackson to Milw so we can get Fielder.

I think I'm the only Sox fan that doesn't want the big donkey. Obviously he is an upgrade over what we currently have; I would just rather have Prince over him.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Can we keep Arizona in the mix for a three team deal, but instead have them send Edwin Jackson to Milw so we can get Fielder.

I think I'm the only Sox fan that doesn't want the big donkey. Obviously he is an upgrade over what we currently have; I would just rather have Prince over him.

If we are getting a hitter and dh'ing the guy, I'd rather get Prince. He is better all-around then Dunn. If we are throwing one into the field assuming we can sign them long-term then great, try Dunn I guess. Neither is a wizard.

The one thing that will be nice is when they don't resign with us we can for once offer someone arbitration and receive compensation picks. Instead of fearing they'll accept and take us to the hearing because no one else would pay them circa Dye and thome last year. AJ will have that problem for us as he is type A and I highly doubt goes anywhere if we offer arb.

Lets just land something and put this beast to rest. Assuming we have the chips to do it.

The problem is that you can't really think of them as players. You have to think of them as contracts.

In other words, the choice is between "60 games of Dunn before free agency" vs. "220 games of Fielder before free agency".

So, Fielder is likely to be significantly more expensive to acquire.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
So, I'll probably get laughed off for this, but here goes... what about trading to get Carter back? Anyone think that's even possible?

Beane normally hordes prospects, not trades them

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
Really? I feel like Beane has done plenty of trading of prospects...but he mainly does that when he thinks he has a shot at a playoff run.

When I think of Beane I think of him signing reclamation projects and 1 year deals with bigtime players like Holliday, or developing pitching to flip them for more prospects so he can repeat the cycle. I cant think of him really dealing prospects a lot.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
When I think of Beane I think of him signing reclamation projects and 1 year deals with bigtime players like Holliday, or developing pitching to flip them for more prospects so he can repeat the cycle. I cant think of him really dealing prospects a lot.

He traded closer Huston Street and Carlos Gonzalez (who was, at the time, a 22 year old prospect who had 300 major league at bats) for Holliday.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
He traded closer Huston Street and Carlos Gonzalez (who was, at the time, a 22 year old prospect who had 300 major league at bats) for Holliday.

and flipped Holliday(who was in the last year of his deal) for 3 pretty good prospects at the trade deadline. Gonzalez had to go for Holliday, they werent getting him just for Street. I didnt say he doesnt do it, but he normally holds on to his prospects and develops them and trades them. There is really no reason at this point for him to trade away Carter, the kid is absolutely raking in the minors right now

Carter has homered at least once in each of his last three games for Triple-A Sacramento, batting .538 (7-for-13) with four homers, seven RBI, six runs and a 2:0 BB:K ratio during that span. Carter has not struck out in four games.

Spin: This comes with all of the small sample size caveats, but this is the kind of mouth-watering power potential we expected out of Carter this season. More impressive may be the plate discipline over the last four games, as Carter otherwise sports a 55:108 BB:K ratio in 95 games this season. Carter is now second in the Pacific Coast League in home runs with 23, but he's also leading the league in strikeouts.

Just about every Sox fan would rather have Fielder. He'd be a LOT more expensive though, since he's under team control next year.

Talks of a 3-team player trade right now between Sox, Dbacks, and Nationals....

Sox get: Dunn

Nationals get: Edwin Jackson

Dbacks get: Collection of prospect pitchers from Sox

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/edwi...team-rumor.html

So the Nationals would essentially be trading Dunn for Edwin Jackson, and the Sox trading pitching prospects for Dunn. Not sure why the Nationals would trade Dunn straight up for Jackson IMO.

EDIT: Apparently I am late to this discussion.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Because Jackson is cheaper than Dunn this year and is also signed for next year.

I would think Dan Hudson would be just as valuable as Edwin Jackson, so if they want just Jackson for Dunn, then why can't we just trade them Hudson + Torres or some other mid-level prospect?

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
I would think Dan Hudson would be just as valuable as Edwin Jackson, so if they want just Jackson for Dunn, then why can't we just trade them Hudson + Torres or some other mid-level prospect?

Probably because the White Sox realize they're 100% screwed this season if they have to trade Hudson, so they're trying to find a way to do the deal without moving Beckham or Hudson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Probably because the White Sox realize they're 100% screwed this season if they have to trade Hudson, so they're trying to find a way to do the deal without moving Beckham or Hudson.

I wouldn't put Hudson and Beckham in the same group at all. Beckham should be rather untouchable. Hudson is only hard to get because of our lack of depth, not because he is a great looking pitcher. Is the difference between Adam Dunn and Mark Kotsay not greater than the difference between Dan Hudson and say...Tony Pena?

Ken_Rosenthal Source: #Diamondbacks will not hesitate to trade EJax if they get what they want. No 3-way talks with #Nationals and #WhiteSox - yet

3-way w Dunn going to #WhiteSox a little difficult to imagine; White Sox don't have much to give.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal Source: #Diamondbacks will not hesitate to trade EJax if they get what they want. No 3-way talks with #Nationals and #WhiteSox - yet

3-way w Dunn going to #WhiteSox a little difficult to imagine; White Sox don't have much to give.

Sounds about right.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Sounds about right.

Yeah, it's true. I think people are way underestimating what it would take to pull this off. The Nationals have no need to move Dunn, they'll need a big offer to do it. Hudson, Santos, and Shirek won't be enough probably. Maybe if they add Viciedo to that package something would happen, but I doubt it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
I wouldn't put Hudson and Beckham in the same group at all. Beckham should be rather untouchable. Hudson is only hard to get because of our lack of depth, not because he is a great looking pitcher. Is the difference between Adam Dunn and Mark Kotsay not greater than the difference between Dan Hudson and say...Tony Pena?

The last time Tony Pena started a game at any level, Carl Everett was the starting DH for a World Series winning team.

Tony Pena is not a starting pitcher on this team, he is the swingman, and he will remain that for the rest of the season as there is no time to stretch his arm out to be able to throw even 80 pitches, let alone 100 or so. Carlos Torres would be his replacement. He might not be the worst 5th starter the White Sox have ever had, but he is not a desirable option to say the least. His major league equivalent FIP is 4.94, which could lead him anywhere from a 4.50 to a 5.50 ERA. As stated, that wouldn't be the worst 5th starter ever, but on this club, it would not be desirable. Hudson's 4.51 FIP translates to the majors much better, and he is a much better looking pitcher than Torres or any other replacement from within the system.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
@Buster_ESPN:

Well, what are the Sox waiting for, lets throw in a guy or two to help them if that means we are getting Dunn.

Even "IF" we get Dunn, I think we could use a starter because I just don't trust Hudson, however I was never high on him from the start.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Yeah, it's true. I think people are way underestimating what it would take to pull this off. The Nationals have no need to move Dunn, they'll need a big offer to do it. Hudson, Santos, and Shirek won't be enough probably. Maybe if they add Viciedo to that package something would happen, but I doubt it.

And that's obviously way more than the Sox can give up for a 2 month rental. If you are talking about dealing Hudson, Santos, Viciedo, and Shirek, you are back on the phone with the Brewers.