Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
I'm not basing it off the fact he hit 2 HRs since coming off the DL, but just that he would be an upgrade, I think Luke Scott would be a suitable guy to target and probably get him for something reasonable.

I like Luke Scott as a possible option. He's not very good in the OF, but he's not Carlos Quentin or Jermaine Dye bad. You can play him there once in a while and he can be part of the rotating DH as he has good versatility.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
Luke Scott would be a great fit and hopefully wouldn't cost too much.

I have a feeling Ozzie would like him since he can play a couple of positions and he also gets to keep his little rotating DH scheme running.

Assuredly wouldn't cost as much as Dunn, which is a big thing. The Sox might also be able to use Morel as a trading chip to Baltimore too. Josh Bell is a good prospect, but it doesn't appear as though he's very good defensively, and the Orioles have been searching for a 3Bman for quite a while now. It also speaks either to their ineptitude as an organization or how they feel about Josh Bell that they're so willing to go with Tejada at 3B too.

He'd be great since he would reduce the usage of both Kotsay and Jones. Dunn is the better hitter, but Ozzie would probably only play him at DH and we'd still see Jones in RF a lot.

I hope the Sox DO NOT trade for Adam Dunn. The reasons are many.

1. Carlos Quentin needs to DH much of the second half to stay healthy. Getting Dunn will relegate Quentin to the OF, where if he gets hurt, will negate much of the value of adding Dunn as a bat.

2. Dunn does not want to DH, and therefore would not be looking to help the Sox after this year. Why add a potential malcontent to a happy clubhouse?

3. What would Dunn's presence do for Paul Konerko? With his "retirement" comments, it looks like Konerko is positioning himself to return to the Sox on maybe a 2-year + option deal. If Dunn were here, you'd have to offer him arbitration to get the draft picks. What if he accepted? Would that mean having to cut payroll, i.e., Paul Konerko?

4. The W. Post talks about the price being Viciedo+ or Hudson+.

Viciedo is likely our best young hitter not named Beckham. He can play 3B, 1B, DH, and probably the outfield. Why trade a young hitter for a rental before we know how good he is. Forget Cabrera -- remember Bobby Bonilla. Bonilla was traded for Doug Drabek I think. Drabek was done, Bonilla took off.

Hudson is our 5th starter. We have nothing reliable behind him. After the semi-meltdown in Minnesota this week, we have to keep our identity, which is solid starting pitching.

I wouldn't trade either for a rental player. I would trade Hudson for a better pitcher like Roy Oswalt. I probably wouldn't trade Viciedo at all -- not until I give him a better chance to see what his upside might be.

5. Let's say we get to the postseason. You are trading good young players under control for several years for basically 20 ABs from Adam Dunn. Pitching dominates the postseason, not lumbering sluggers like Adam Dunn. Dunn has no postseason experience, so we have nothing to go on. But given the struggles of guys like A-Rod and Bonds and others in the postseason, you might get nothing at all out of Dunn. In the only Sox game I've been to this year (at Nationals Park), Freddy Garcia handled him easily. How do you think he'll do against CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte?

6. Dunn destroys flexibility. He's a lumbering DH who doesn't want to DH. If you put him in the field, it's worse.

7. Starting pitching is the key to the postseason. The Sox should be angling for a guy like Roy Oswalt. Gives us a power pitcher at the front of the rotation. Helps all pitching matchups in the postseason. Keeps him away from the Yanks/Tigers/Twins. Much more likely to win a postseason game than a slugger like Dunn.

I would take Dunn only if the price were no front-line prospects, but I assume Washington would pass and take the draft picks instead if they can't sign him.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
I hope the Sox DO NOT trade for Adam Dunn. The reasons are many.

1. Carlos Quentin needs to DH much of the second half to stay healthy. Getting Dunn will relegate Quentin to the OF, where if he gets hurt, will negate much of the value of adding Dunn as a bat.

2. Dunn does not want to DH, and therefore would not be looking to help the Sox after this year. Why add a potential malcontent to a happy clubhouse?

3. What would Dunn's presence do for Paul Konerko? With his "retirement" comments, it looks like Konerko is positioning himself to return to the Sox on maybe a 2-year + option deal. If Dunn were here, you'd have to offer him arbitration to get the draft picks. What if he accepted? Would that mean having to cut payroll, i.e., Paul Konerko?

4. The W. Post talks about the price being Viciedo+ or Hudson+.

Viciedo is likely our best young hitter not named Beckham. He can play 3B, 1B, DH, and probably the outfield. Why trade a young hitter for a rental before we know how good he is. Forget Cabrera -- remember Bobby Bonilla. Bonilla was traded for Doug Drabek I think. Drabek was done, Bonilla took off.

Hudson is our 5th starter. We have nothing reliable behind him. After the semi-meltdown in Minnesota this week, we have to keep our identity, which is solid starting pitching.

I wouldn't trade either for a rental player. I would trade Hudson for a better pitcher like Roy Oswalt. I probably wouldn't trade Viciedo at all -- not until I give him a better chance to see what his upside might be.

5. Let's say we get to the postseason. You are trading good young players under control for several years for basically 20 ABs from Adam Dunn. Pitching dominates the postseason, not lumbering sluggers like Adam Dunn. Dunn has no postseason experience, so we have nothing to go on. But given the struggles of guys like A-Rod and Bonds and others in the postseason, you might get nothing at all out of Dunn. In the only Sox game I've been to this year (at Nationals Park), Freddy Garcia handled him easily. How do you think he'll do against CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte?

6. Dunn destroys flexibility. He's a lumbering DH who doesn't want to DH. If you put him in the field, it's worse.

7. Starting pitching is the key to the postseason. The Sox should be angling for a guy like Roy Oswalt. Gives us a power pitcher at the front of the rotation. Helps all pitching matchups in the postseason. Keeps him away from the Yanks/Tigers/Twins. Much more likely to win a postseason game than a slugger like Dunn.

I would take Dunn only if the price were no front-line prospects, but I assume Washington would pass and take the draft picks instead if they can't sign him.

So in Peavy, Buehrle, Oswalt and Rios you're talking almost 59 million dollars in salary for 2011. Yeah, that's, like, not happening.

If Dunn accepts arbitration (which he wouldn't) then that's still a tradeable asset, you're not saddled with that contract. Amazing that you're worried about paying Dunn $14M next year but have no problem paying Oswalt $16M per in '11 and '12 (yeah, he's demanding that his option be picked up)

Personally I'm not too worried about "losing flexibility" I'm not seeing a whole lot of that right now from our current DH, seeing as how Kotsay is a disaster in the field in his own right.

Oswalt does not want to play here, he's said it in years past and he said it again this year. Hell even if he did want to play for us the Phillies are looking to turn Werth into Oswalt right now, I can't see any way in hell we could top a package they put together after turning a hell of an outfielder into prospects.

Whether we get Oswalt or not, I don't want Dunn at the price of a major-league player like Viciedo or Hudson. These guys are not prospects in my opinion, they are current major league players. If you are going to pay that price, you should get the guy for more than one shot at the postseason.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:22 AM)
In Cowley's article about the Sox interest in Fielder it mentions that KW has given Washington the entire minor league sysytem to pick from. The nice thing is Beckham, Hudson, and Viciedo are on the major league roster.

:lolhitting

Get it done KW.

The Sox aren't going to be able to complete a trade with Washington with just the assets in the minor league system. It's going to take atleast one of Viciedo or Hudson.

If Williams can prove me wrong and acquire Dunn while not dealing Viciedo or Hudson, and keeping an elite talent like Trayce Thompson in the system, I'll be blown away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
The Sox aren't going to be able to complete a trade with Washington with just the assets in the minor league system. It's going to take atleast one of Viciedo or Hudson.

If Williams can prove me wrong and acquire Dunn while not dealing Viciedo or Hudson, and keeping an elite talent like Trayce Thompson in the system, I'll be blown away.

I'll bake Kenny Williams a ****ing cake.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

That has to be about impossible.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:22 AM)
In Cowley's article about the Sox interest in Fielder it mentions that KW has given Washington the entire minor league sysytem to pick from. The nice thing is Beckham, Hudson, and Viciedo are on the major league roster.

That's like giving me the option to bone one of Beyonce, Meagan Good, Rihanna and Jennifer Hudson then saying I can only choose the plump one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
That has to be about impossible.

I figure that as well. If the Nationals aren't getting someone close to the majors who is also very talented, they are much better off getting the added value of retaining Dunn through the deadline while also selecting two players themselves.

As is, Danks' value is low (and may never be that high), Morel is virtually useless to Washington, Flowers' value is much lower as they still have Jesus Flores who looks like a solid player (though he hasn't played this year).

I think they'd like Viciedo, but would probably want Hudson most of all.

Williams obviously wants to upgrade the offense, but he wants to upgrade it in a big way by acquiring Dunn or Fielder. I don't know that the Sox have the bullets to do so without mortgaging a bit of the future (or, at the very least, a good, young starting pitcher in Hudson). One of Rizzo and Williams is going to blink and cave one way or the other (and I think Williams blinking would be to the effect of him acquiring a different, lesser bat, which I would be perfectly content with).

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
I could see both Flowers and Dayan go. The Sox will likely re-sign AJ. He's a perfect match for our pitching staff.

AJ's got a few more good years left; by then, Miguel Gonzalez might be ready.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)

I'd like to see AJ re-sign. He's much more than a bat and a glove. Besides, my kids want Pierzynski jerseys for their birthdays. If I'm going to spend the money, I hope it means something next year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
I'd like to see AJ re-sign. He's much more than a bat and a glove. Besides, my kids want Pierzynski jerseys for their birthdays. If I'm going to spend the money, I hope it means something next year.

I'm getting more and more a feeling that AJ will wind up back next year...

But I'm getting that feeling because I don't get the impression that any other MLB team will be interested in dealing with him unless he's basically making the minimum.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
That's like giving me the option to bone one of Beyonce, Meagan Good, Rihanna and Jennifer Hudson then saying I can only choose the plump one.

OT but... I prefer the plump one. ;)

For me it's 1. Jennifer Hudson, 2. Beyonce, 3. Megan Good, and then farther down at a distance at #4 is Rihanna with a bag over her head.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)

Gonzalez hasn't adjusted to A ball well with the bat. He's still young and one to watch, but even if he pans out, I'd say he's 3 years away at least - another A ball year in 2011, then AA and AAA.

Per MLBTraderumors...

Trade Possible, Nats May Try To Extend Dunn Soon

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 23 at 9:57am CST]

Adam Dunn is looking for a long-term deal, and if he and the Nationals can’t agree on his value, the team will likely trade him, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Dunn would stay in Washington if he and the Nationals can agree to the parameters of a deal, even if they don’t formally announce an agreement. The Nats have the chance to keep Dunn in Washington, so they may try to extend him before the trade deadline, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter).

Dunn, 31 in November, has 23 homers and a .933 OPS, so he remains one of the game's elite power hitters. Many have suggested that Dunn's poor defense makes him an ideal candidate to DH, but that hasn't prevented NL teams like the Giants from showing interest. The Nats seem reluctant to deal their top players, including Dunn, but the White Sox are definitely interested.