AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
My first game at the Cell in 10 years tomorrow and they're 1 game out going into it.

That's funny, my first game was 10 years ago. :)

Ramirez has quietly emerged as an All-Star shortstop and a "plus" offensively, especially for a middle infielder.

We still have some dilemmas with Viciedo getting inconsistent playing time and a decision to make about giving at-bats to Beckham...as long as we're so close, you have to think they'll stick with Beckham, but the Minnesota plays the Indians, Orioles and Royals after taking on the Sox to begin the 2nd half, so any big decision might really go down to the July 31st deadline. Kotsay has actually been a pretty productive player over the last 20-25 games as well. Still, you'd like to see one superior bat who can take the role of Jones/Kotsay and lower the playing time of Mark because he'll probably wear down in July/August/September. Same with Vizquel.

Anytime we can go 3-3 on the road (although you expect 2/3 in KC, not Arlington), it's a "victory" especially when you can play a very hot Rangers team to standstill on their own field. Right now, they've got two TOP 10 MVP candidates in Hamilton and Guerrero.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Ramirez has quietly emerged as an All-Star shortstop and a "plus" offensively, especially for a middle infielder.

We still have some dilemmas with Viciedo getting inconsistent playing time and a decision to make about giving at-bats to Beckham...as long as we're so close, you have to think they'll stick with Beckham, but the Minnesota plays the Indians, Orioles and Royals after taking on the Sox to begin the 2nd half, so any big decision might really go down to the July 31st deadline. Kotsay has actually been a pretty productive player over the last 20-25 games as well. Still, you'd like to see one superior bat who can take the role of Jones/Kotsay and lower the playing time of Mark because he'll probably wear down in July/August/September. Same with Vizquel.

Anytime we can go 3-3 on the road (although you expect 2/3 in KC, not Arlington), it's a "victory" especially when you can play a very hot Rangers team to standstill on their own field. Right now, they've got two TOP 10 MVP candidates in Hamilton and Guerrero.

He's more than a plus defender. Try the best defensive shortstop in baseball. His UZR of +8.6 is 4.2 runs higher than the next guy, which is Yunel Escobar.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
He's more than a plus defender. Try the best defensive shortstop in baseball. His UZR of +8.6 is 4.2 runs higher than the next guy, which is Yunel Escobar.

He's saying offensively.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
The postgame guys are thoroughly enjoying making fun of some hungover guy. Awesome.

That guy looked like he was more than hungover. He was nodding like he was on heron. Gross.

Good win tonight! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
Read that wrong. And I'm probably going to disagree with the plus offensive player thing.

Do you have to look at stats to know a plus offensive player ? What exactly is a plus offensive play ? He's hitting .278 with some power and decent speed on the bases. That's plus enough for me.

He's been over a .300 hitter with an 800+ OPS since first month of the season.

He's obviously improved by leaps and bounds defensively in the last 4-6 weeks...for whatever reason.

When I said "plus" hitter, I meant compared to the league average for that position.

You won't find many shortstops who are in the Top 5 defensively and Top 10 offensively that are 28 years old and signed to such an affordable contract. I'd like to find another one that wouldn't cost our entire farm system to trade for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
I'll start believing as soon as we beat some AL teams...

Plowing through the Braves and taking 2/3 from a sizzing hot Rangers team on a field we never play that well on, those are some nice indicators...as you said, we've got a long ways to go, and the Angels at home will be another good barometer.

Only 3 teams have won a series at Minnesota so far, the Yankees and Rays being two of those teams, so ANYTIME you beat a team 14-15-16 games over .500 in the first half of any season 2/3 on their home field is a pretty big moral victory.