Viciedo...

southsider2k5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:23 AM)
So has anyone made the Juan Uribe comparison yet? Dayan has the full body swing like Juan, except the ball just explodes off of Viciedo's bat. I can see the 40 homer talk with the way the line drives come off for him.

Said it after the very first game. Not sure about the 40 homers, but hopefully he can be a 25 home run, 40 double, 100 RBI player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Said it after the very first game. Not sure about the 40 homers, but hopefully he can be a 25 home run, 40 double, 100 RBI player.

In our ballpark.. I can see 30+ easily actually. Now 40... we'll see. Still can't believe he have a guy who is only 21 though. Seems like it's been forever, though I believe since Sweeney. (Hudson and I believe Danks just missed) That is of course... if he isn't traded.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
In our ballpark.. I can see 30+ easily actually. Now 40... we'll see. Still can't believe he have a guy who is only 21 though. Seems like it's been forever, though I believe since Sweeney. (Hudson and I believe Danks just missed) That is of course... if he isn't traded.

Huh?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
If KW doesn't wind up trading him while his value is high to get say.. a bat for instance.. that's huh.

I think what he was saying is that he wants you to reread your original post and rewrite using sentences that make sense.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
If KW doesn't wind up trading him while his value is high to get say.. a bat for instance.. that's huh.

No, I didn't understand what you were trying to say...you mean you can't believe we have a player on the big league club that is 21...I gotcha...I just didn't understand what you were saying.

QUOTE (Phil McKrevice @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
I think what he was saying is that he wants you to reread your original post and rewrite using sentences that make sense.

Who are you? Meh.. not wasting my time...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
No, I didn't understand what you were trying to say...you mean you can't believe we have a player on the big league club that is 21...I gotcha...I just didn't understand what you were saying.

Ya I caught the glimpse after I re-read it. Your forgiven Mark. ;)

I think he has talent. The guys in the chat room during the game don't like Tank though.

If he truly is only 21 ... wow.

Can you be taught a tiny bit of plate discipline? I don't think he'll draw more than 10 walks in 500 at bats.

I can't imagine him EVER walking.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:06 AM)
I think he has talent. The guys in the chat room during the game don't like Tank though.

If he truly is only 21 ... wow.

Can you be taught a tiny bit of plate discipline? I don't think he'll draw more than 10 walks in 500 at bats.

I can't imagine him EVER walking.

he'll have to learn to do it at least occasionally if he's every going to truly dominate. Once people figure out that they don't have to throw him anything over the plate, he will go down in flames otherwise.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:12 AM)
he'll have to learn to do it at least occasionally if he's every going to truly dominate. Once people figure out that they don't have to throw him anything over the plate, he will go down in flames otherwise.

I disagree. As I stated in the game thread, he seems to actually have a pretty good eye at the plate. I think the reason he does not walk much is because he makes contact with everything, and puts it into play. If you take a look at his at-bats recently, you will see he is actually taking some balls, but it's hard to take a walk when you are putting the ball in play all the time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 01:15 AM)
I disagree. As I stated in the game thread, he seems to actually have a pretty good eye at the plate. I think the reason he does not walk much is because he makes contact with everything, and puts it into play. If you take a look at his at-bats recently, you will see he is actually taking some balls, but it's hard to take a walk when you are putting the ball in play all the time.

If he made contact with everything, he wouldn't have struck out 50 some times in Charlotte.

Viciedo is showing potential, but I'm not gonna bust a nut just yet. 1, this is his first time through the league, he will have to adjust once pitchers adjust to him. 2, his K:BB ratio in AAA was awful, he's gonna have to improve on that if he wants any chance of having any long term success in the MLB. Hopefully he will.

Viciedo runs a little better than most expected....should be a doubles machine.

The thing I liked about him the most (and the same thing was said of Beckham last year) is he really has a nice, natural opposite field and up the middle stroke, but he has also shown the ability to turn on some balls already when the occasion demands it.

Until today, the defense was also much better than advertised, and the error was one of those where the 3B just gets off balance and the throw either sails or goes into the dirt...unfortunately it sailed but the unearned run didn't come back to haunt us (or 5 total errors, aka one month for the Twins when they're playing well).

As far as the Uribe comparison, I'm not really seeing it. Dayan has a lot more pop and overall hitting ability...the one thing about Uribe that was always undervalued, clutch RBI's, driving in the runner from 3B with less than 2 outs was always his specialty. No matter what his average was, you could always count on him for 20 homers and 60-75 RBI's without fail, along with super solid D.

People keep bringing up the BB:K rate and rightfully so, but it's not as if the guy was a K machine down at Charlotte. it was slightly above 20%, which is fine for someone if he's gonna hit 30+ HR. He's young so patience could come, but also he seems to swing at the first pitch a lot too. That doesn't always mean he's pitch or plate recognition is bad, just that he likes swinging at the first good pitch he gets. If he's gonna put it in play and get on base that's acceptable for someone who will be counted on to drive in runs.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
People keep bringing up the BB:K rate and rightfully so, but it's not as if the guy was a K machine down at Charlotte. it was slightly above 20%, which is fine for someone if he's gonna hit 30+ HR. He's young so patience could come, but also he seems to swing at the first pitch a lot too. That doesn't always mean he's pitch or plate recognition is bad, just that he likes swinging at the first good pitch he gets. If he's gonna put it in play and get on base that's acceptable for someone who will be counted on to drive in runs.

Even the K rate is a little misleading... Viciedo struggled in April and had 23 K (2 BB) in 83 at bats. The rest of the time in Charlotte he had 29 K (6 BB) in 155 at bats, which is more in line with his Birmingham numbers (struck out 89 times in 504 at bats, around 17%). So while it would be nice for him to draw a walk a little more often, he was only striking out around 18% of the time in Charlotte.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
So has anyone made the Juan Uribe comparison yet? Dayan has the full body swing like Juan, except the ball just explodes off of Viciedo's bat. I can see the 40 homer talk with the way the line drives come off for him.

I sure wish he had Uribe's glove. I like Viciedo, but he's a brutal in the field.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:15 AM)
I sure wish he had Uribe's glove. I like Viciedo, but he's a brutal in the field.

I'm not yet sure he's any worse than Teahen at 3B. Have to watch him more. He's got a strong arm, seems to have good hands, but his foot work awkward and I have concerns about his range.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:17 AM)
I'm not yet sure he's any worse than Teahen at 3B. Have to watch him more. He's got a strong arm, seems to have good hands, but his foot work awkward and I have concerns about his range.

Which makes him an ideal DH if we don't wind up getting another bat.