YOUR FIRST PLACE CHICAGO WHITE SOX!!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
First place and the Sox are under .500 against AL opponents (34-35), and AL Central opponents (16-17).

That'll change for the better, but kind of interesting I think.

Huge test right after the AS break with a 10 game road show against Twins, Mariners and A's. West coast games have not been kind to the Sox in recent years and the Sox power on the road has been down.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
Only the 6th perfect homestand in White Sox history per Bruce Levine . There's one for you Statmandu.

Really??? I'm not doubting it, but its hard to believe that in about 110 years of baseball, they only had 6 perfect homestands??? Wow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Of at least six games...

I guess in baseball it is a lot harder than it sounds. There's always that one game or two every week that gets away from you that you can't do anything about. In 2008, they swept a 7-game homestand (3-KC, 4-MIN), but skimming the schedules as far back as 1990, I couldn't find another one. (I heart baseballreference.com)

Some of you have been around longer than I, but I can't ever recall a Sox season where they turned it around so quickly--and to do it, get into first, on the eve of the ASB is just poetic.

Just last month I was complaining here that we never seem to ever put any STREAKS together, the past few years.

Done, and done.

If we can get through the Twins/California road trip with a winning record, I think people should be scared of us.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Some of you have been around longer than I, but I can't ever recall a Sox season where they turned it around so quickly--and to do it, get into first, on the eve of the ASB is just poetic.

Just last month I was complaining here that we never seem to ever put any STREAKS together, the past few years.

Done, and done.

If we can get through the Twins/California road trip with a winning record, I think people should be scared of us.

In 2001 we had a streak in june where we went 22-7 to fight back to above .500 but then just kind of hung around .500 while the twins had their coming out party.

That said, our pitching is much better than in 2001. Such a weak rotation except for buerhle's awesome rookie season.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
What the hell is wrong with Keith Law? This morning on the Score they were talking about how the White Sox recent surge to the top of the AL Central was all smoke and mirrors and how the Sox took advantage of a weak schedule and they weren't really a good team.

To be quite fair, most of the teams on that stretch were pretty bad. But it's not like the Sox didn't face good teams, or didn't play good baseball. I don't know how you qualify a 25-5 stretch and suggest that a team isn't good. I haven't ever seen a mediocre team go 25-5 over a stretch of 30 games.

If the Sox acquire a big bat, they are going to be a very scary team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
To be quite fair, most of the teams on that stretch were pretty bad. But it's not like the Sox didn't face good teams, or didn't play good baseball. I don't know how you qualify a 25-5 stretch and suggest that a team isn't good. I haven't ever seen a mediocre team go 25-5 over a stretch of 30 games.

If the Sox acquire a big bat, they are going to be a very scary team.

Not to mention they won in many different ways. 1-0 games, 15-5 games, with homers, without homers.

When are we as White Sox fans just going to embrace the fact that the Sox will never be media darlings. Will never get the respect of many other teams in the league. We are who we are...and that's a team that represents it's fans well. So screw the know-it-alls.

Keith Law's Agendas

1. Suck off a prospect he likes at the time (Right now, Mike Trout is that guy).

2. Hate on the White Sox farm system

3. Hate on the White Sox and anyone they draft (ie. Chris Sale)

4. Leave Chris Carpenter off the Cy Young ballot and vote for an ex-White Sox just so he can help Javy say, "I told you so" and make the Sox look bad.

5. Just hate on the White Sox in general while sucking off their division rivals like the Twins.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Eight in a row. 11 games above .500 highest all year, a grand slam, Andruw's 400th, Tanks 2nd, Gordons 1st 3 hit game of the season , Hudsons 1st start of the season, a sweep of the whole home stand, a Linebrink scoreless inning and 1st place all at the end of the 1st half. WOW !!! Did I miss anything ?

Yes, you missed me and my brother and friends and family in a diamond suite (me from Los Angeles, him from Colorado Springs, rest of the people from all over) for his 50th birthday! To have a game like that and have the Sox move into first.... indescribable!

QUOTE (Hanky Panky @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
This is starting to be a storybook season like 2005!

This team has a lot more similarities to 1983 than 2005. Pitching not as good as '83, however...

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
This team has a lot more similarities to 1983 than 2005. Pitching not as good as '83, however...

The 1983 team finished with an ERA+ of 114. The 2010 team currently has an ERA+ of 110, and there is plenty of room for improvement on that number still. Neither team will be able to hold a candle to what that 2005 team did when they put up an ERA+ of 125. It's entirely possible that the 2005 team will be the best pitching staff I will see in my lifetime.

The 1983 team will almost inevitably end up with better raw numbers, but that was a very mediocre offensive era. The Sox led the AL in runs scored that year with 800. Even this year, which is one of the worst offensive years in recent memory, multiple teams will end up scoring more than 800 runs.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)

Done, and done.

I totally agree with that.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
What the hell is wrong with Keith Law? This morning on the Score they were talking about how the White Sox recent surge to the top of the AL Central was all smoke and mirrors and how the Sox took advantage of a weak schedule and they weren't really a good team.

Any such comment or statement like this one is just ridiculous and should be dismissed outright. "Good teams" beat the bad teams - that's how it works. That's why some teams are good while others are not. And no doubt, we beat a lot of bad teams this past month, but that's because we are - surprise! surprise! - good! And to prove the point further, really good teams also beat other good teams, and we just got done giving some good teams like Atlanta, Texas, and Los Angeles an a*s whoopin' they won't soon forget. I might also add we are in first place after 87 games, and last I looked, first place is where you usually find your good teams. So Keith Law, go peddle your illogical drivel somewhere else, you moron. Enough, already!

Edited by Thad Bosley