Another Starter or a Big Bat

The Gooch

Which is more important?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Big Bat or Another starting pitcher?

• Pitcher
    • Big Bat

If we can only get one before the trade deadline, which do you think is more important? Would you rather let Hudson ride out the rest of the season and pick up a solid DH, or would you rather get another solid starter in the rotation? I am leaning towards a starting pitcher. Before Peavy got injured, we had an outstanding chance at winning every game, but after todays game, Hudson made me a little nervous. If Freddy comes back to earth a little bit in the 2nd half we might have something to worry about.

Bat, if Hudson has to be included in a trade or sent down (crossing my fingers neither happens), we can promote someone like Torres to be a servicable option for a 5th starter, or use Pena there since he seems confident he can start for us

If we could dump Teahen to a team in a trade, i'd be giddy

I'd want a pitcher if he is good enough to be a potential playoff starter. That would keep Freddy in a #5 hole, where he's usually going to best the other guy. And if you have 5 solid pitchers, you never let the other team's hitters come up for air. You can continue to put great winning streaks together.

An offensive guy seems less critical to me now that TCQ is killing the ball, Viciedo looks like a real hitter, Beckham is starting to find his stroke again, and other guys will hit better than they have. (Pierre, AJ, Ramirez) Plus, TCQ needs to DH a fair amount to stay healthy, which he can't do if you add LaRoche or another 1B guy.

In the postseason, we are going to have to outpitch opponents.

I've been looking up as many speedy outfielders as I can lately as Pierre seems like a guy who could be replaced. Guys who would look good include Brett Gardner, Andrew McCuthchen, David DeJesus, Chris Young, Dexter Fowler, Carlos Gonzales, Seth Smith (last 3 all in crowded Colorado outfield) which might mean Brad Hawpe would be good to pick up as a DH type though not exactly an impact bat he's better than Kotsay . Trouble is most of theses guys are still on contending teams, though I'm sure I've overlooked a few players

Pitching will be much harder to find but with Mark getting hit by a line drive recently and Freddie's always suspect health it might be wiser to somehow find a pitcher. Maybe Kenny can find out if Jarrod Washburn has anything left in the tank .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)
I've been looking up as many speedy outfielders as I can lately as Pierre seems like a guy who could be replaced. Guys who would look good include Brett Gardner, Andrew McCuthchen, David DeJesus, Chris Young, Dexter Fowler, Carlos Gonzales, Seth Smith (last 3 all in crowded Colorado outfield) which might mean Brad Hawpe would be good to pick up as a DH type though not exactly an impact bat he's better than Kotsay . Trouble is most of theses guys are still on contending teams, though I'm sure I've overlooked a few players

Pitching will be much harder to find but with Mark getting hit by a line drive recently and Freddie's always suspect health it might be wiser to somehow find a pitcher. Maybe Kenny can find out if Jarrod Washburn has anything left in the tank .

I'd die of joy if we got any of those OF.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:14 AM)
I think Kenny will manage to get both, just neither will be HUGE players, but both will be decent players. A player like Adam LaRoche that every one is throwing out, and maybe a Ted Lilly.

Ted Lilly would be terrible.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
I am saying he is the type of pitcher we will get. Not a big name guy, but someone who is a decent player.

I agree with that, I just think that Lilly would be a disaster at the Cell. I think he is a semi-big name, and I think a team in the NL will overpay for him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)

McCutchen would cost us more than Carl Crawford and BJ Upton combined.

I'd rather that the Sox just stood pat than move Hudson or Viciedo. Not only do we need those guys to contribute right now, but we'll be needing them in the future as well.

If you think TCQ should DH a lot more than he has because (a) it will help keep him healthy, and (B) eliminate his weak outfield defense, then it is harder to make a case for the big bat people are talking about. If you add a DH/1B, then TCQ has to play the outfield, since he's likely to be the best hitter we'll have in the second half.

If you want to add an outfield bat, unless you DH that hitter, then conversely TCQ mostly has to DH, and it's not yet clear if that's the way to go either. As far as I'm concerned, you could replace Pierre, but the Sox aren't going to do that. Also, your outfield bat has to be better hitting and fielding than Andruw Jones, which may or may not be that easy, given how Jones has responded to some regular playing time.

I'd rather add a pitcher, keeping Hudson in reserve. Pitching, defense, and enough hitting to win. That was the 2005 formula, and probably gives us the best chance again. I'd count on the offense improving because TCQ appears to be BACK, Beckham is going to find his stroke again, AJ and Ramirez will hit better, as will Pierre, and Viciedo might be a huge addition if you give him enough playing time.

Plus, I'd rather go for a quality pitcher rather than trying to divide resources between a pitcher and a bat.

No Ted Lilly. I agree he's not the answer. Maybe Oswalt, though he's kind of a jerk.