GT: White Sox @ A's 7/25, 3:05 CT, CSN

justBLAZE

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the PTBNL better be f***ing special for this deal to make any sense at all for the D-Backs. Rodriguez and Corbin do not look like anything remotely good, and Saunders has proven to be a very mediocre pitcher at best, outside of 1 year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
That's really just an awful trade for Arizona.

Makes it seem like Haren could have been had for Hudson + prospects to top the Angels deal, all it means Kenny not interested in Pitching.

So, why is it that the White Sox are required to give up their best prospects (Beckham or Viceido) and then we see the best starter remaining on the market go for a bunch of garbage? Are the Sox lesser prospects so bad that they can't get pull off a trade like this?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Makes it seem like Haren could have been had for Hudson + prospects to top the Angels deal, all it means Kenny not interested in Pitching.

Sounds like Rosenthal was correct yesterday when he said Kenny was working on hard on getting one of the top lefty bats, either Dunn or Fielder. Because unless that PTBNL is Trout (highly doubt it), we could have easily matched the Angels offer.

Honestly, when was the last time a PTBNL was an actual stud prospect but rather a mediocre, throw in prospect?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
I really can't believe that there's people that believe Ozzie made the right decision by not wanting Thome. REALLY?

Don't worry, he'll have hell to pay if they don't make the postseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Am I a bad fan for wanting Quentin traded if he has any value? Between his defensive awfulness, injury issues, and streaky hitting...I really would love to get good value for him.

No i would rather deal Q than Beckham....Q is made of glass but I doubt he has any real value due to that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
Don't worry, he'll have hell to pay if they don't make the postseason.

That's just the thing: he probably won't. Ozzie has torpedo'd this team, but the team has played past it. I've got to hand it to the guys.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
So, why is it that the White Sox are required to give up their best prospects (Beckham or Viceido) and then we see the best starter remaining on the market go for a bunch of garbage? Are the Sox lesser prospects so bad that they can't get pull off a trade like this?

We already did that deal. It brought us Jake Peavy last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Am I a bad fan for wanting Quentin traded if he has any value? Between his defensive awfulness, injury issues, and streaky hitting...I really would love to get good value for him.

No. I even stated if Quentin finishes the year strong, we should definitely trade him for whatever he's worth.

He gets injured sliding into bases, his injury history has hurt his range so much that he is like an old Jermaine Dye out there, and his injuries have caused his offense to be up and down.

I said trade him as soon as his value is at it's highest, whether that be now or after the season.

I'm beginning to wonder how much worse the Sox would have been this year with Jermaine Dye as the DH or in RF and Quentin DHing. Similarly, I wonder what would have happened if Thome was the DH and not this DH by committee bulls*** that Ozzie spoonfed to Williams. I know, I'm hearing Rongey's voice in the back of my head saying, "There's a reason why 30 teams have passed over Dye," and I'm recalling the argument of, well Thome is a bad choice for a, b and c. But anyway, Kotsay sucks, there's a reason why they traded Anderson for him. Just wondering how the team would have been otherwise, especially if Podsednik was back instead of Pierre, who isn't the worst candidate for the job - at least they don't have 'W' Harris out there.

EDIT: I would trade Quentin in a heartbeat.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
Sounds like Rosenthal was correct yesterday when he said Kenny was working on hard on getting one of the top lefty bats, either Dunn or Fielder. Because unless that PTBNL is Trout (highly doubt it), we could have easily matched the Angels offer.

Honestly, when was the last time a PTBNL was an actual stud prospect but rather a mediocre, throw in prospect?

The Sox used Gio Gonzales as a PTBNL the first time he was traded...because the Phillies needed to use our 40 man slot to protect him from the rule 5 draft.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm beginning to wonder how much worse the Sox would have been this year with Jermaine Dye as the DH or in RF and Quentin DHing. Similarly, I wonder what would have happened if Thome was the DH and not this DH by committee bulls*** that Ozzie spoonfed to Williams. I know, I'm hearing Rongey's voice in the back of my head saying, "There's a reason why 30 teams have passed over Dye," and I'm recalling the argument of, well Thome is a bad choice for a, b and c. But anyway, Kotsay sucks, there's a reason why they traded Anderson for him. Just wondering how the team would have been otherwise, especially if Podsednik was back instead of Pierre, who isn't the worst candidate for the job - at least they don't have 'W' Harris out there.

Rongey was one of the main people supporting the DH by committee.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Wow, the PTBNL better be f***ing special for this deal to make any sense at all for the D-Backs. Rodriguez and Corbin do not look like anything remotely good, and Saunders has proven to be a very mediocre pitcher at best, outside of 1 year.

Corbin looks like he has some talent, but he's only in high A ball (he's 20 years old and in high A ball and putting up decent numbers, so he's well ahead of the age curve). But that shouldn't be close to enough for Haren...even if one of your scouts is begging you for Corbin.

This seems like a move that a team obsessed with getting "Major League ready talent" would make. Because Rodriguez and Saunders are major leaguers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
The Sox used Gio Gonzales as a PTBNL the first time he was traded...because the Phillies needed to use our 40 man slot to protect him from the rule 5 draft.

Ok. I wasnt sure if the PTBNL in that trade was Gio or that other lefty (forget his name, had really good numbers in the minors but wound up doing nothing).