White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
A lot of people on this board who look at numbers, study minor leaguers were all excited over Hudson a few weeks ago. I thought he looked pretty good on the mound as I wasn't expecting a rookie to dominate right away.

Now we are saying maybe he just wasn't that good? Well he was our top prospect and all we could do with him was trade him for a salary dump??

Weird.

how do I word this in a way as to not offend anybody... ok, here it goes... It's great that people on this site and other sites follow and scout the minor leagues, but it is such an inexact science that for a vast majority of the players scouting evaluations can be all over the place... many things could have happened, the Sox were purposely overtauting him knowing they were going to trade him or this last stint confirmed some concerns they had about him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Originally when Cowley said Kenny is working on a 'world shocker' we were throwing out names that would really 'shock the world' take it with a grain of salt, and this isn't meant to you bud, just overall.

yeah, no I agree, I got chastised by J4L for mentioning Ethier, I'm just reacting to it and that's why I put the thing at the end where it said "who knows"

I'm all for wild speculation, it's part of the fun of being on an internet board

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
thanks for the LOL baseball guru, just killing time and throwing names out, and it was one I didn't even bring up initially.

It wasn't a personal shot at you. It's just an unrealistic dream. Whoever brought that up pulled it out their ass. Other than John Danks or Beckham, we don't have a thing in our organization that could net us Ethier.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
It wasn't a personal shot at you. It's just an unrealistic dream. Whoever brought that up pulled it out their ass. Other than John Danks or Beckham, we don't have a thing in our organization that could net us Ethier.

ah OK, you're a good poster man, just wanted to let you know that crazy names were being floated

That was Jason who brought that up.

See my earlier post Jordan, we were just throwin out names like Either, Greinke, Markakis, etc. It was after Cowley said Kenny is trying to shock the world.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
My guess would also be A-Gon. Or maybe it's not even a trade. Maybe he's trying to revive Ken Griffey Jr. Watch him pull off a trade for Joey Votto though. That would be amazing.

The Padres are contending and A-Gon is under control for another year. He's not coming. Votto would be a surprise, but aren't the Reds contending as well?

See chw42, they just mentioned that some team "asked about Jim Edmonds" on B&B and they laughed and said "asked what, asked that he wasn't going to be on their team?"

Bernstein is just so incredibly arrogant for the amount of knowledge he has.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
The Padres are contending and A-Gon is under control for another year. He's not coming. Votto would be a surprise, but aren't the Reds contending as well?
In first by 0.5 games.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
My guess would also be A-Gon. Or maybe it's not even a trade. Maybe he's trying to revive Ken Griffey Jr. Watch him pull off a trade for Joey Votto though. That would be amazing.

The Padres are not trading AGon they are in first place and fans are finally starting to come back. They are not movig their hometown star player. I'm staying with Big Poppi.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Usually teams don't trade top prospects for top prospects for the reason you mentioned. The team receiving the overhyped prospect would think to themselves, "Why do they want to trade us their top pitching prospect for one of our guys?" Then they'll proceed not to do the deal because they'll think possible injury, lack of potential, or lack of major league potential.

True, but it's not unheard of. Kenny did this a few years ago with the Rangers (McCarthy for Danks).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
See my earlier post Jordan, we were just throwin out names like Either, Greinke, Markakis, etc. It was after Cowley said Kenny is trying to shock the world.

My bad then. I thought some were thinking these were legitimate possibilities. And it now looks like the Yankees are about to acquire Berkman.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)

Justin Morneau me!

Frank Thomas out of retirement?

David Ortiz?

Kevin Youkilis?

Billy Butler?

Manny Ramirez?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I am really encouraged by the prospect of Edwin Jackson.

The last time that we heard, "We see 1 flaw in his mechanics." was with Thornton - and we've helped him reach his ceiling.

I do not know if you guys realize this but... Edwin Jackson's ceiling is an ACE. What he did last year in Detroit was nice - but his ceiling is still higher than that.

He has the potential to be a 20 game winner with a low or sub 3 ERA / low 1 WHIP.

This could be another trade that makes a lot of you appreciate our GM, our management, and our scouting.

I also remember Contreras and have a similar feeling regarding this trade as I did at that time.

When we traded for Contreras, everyone was saying he was horrid - was a failure - wasn't a successful pitcher - was a bum - etc.

We heard at that time, "He may be tipping his pitches and we can fix that."

Another similar situation where our team helped a struggling pitcher reach their potential.

Even if Edwin doesn't get traded by us in another deal - I am happy with this.

I love this guys stuff and have always thought he will be an amazing starter some day.

I love all of this. Consider me on this boat. Im my opinion there is a far greater chance of DH washing out than EJax and it's not even close.

I wouldn't mind seeing Peavy Buehrle Floyd Danks Jackson next year at all!

I also wouldn't mind seeing Peavy Buehrle Floyd Danks Garcia plus prospects acquired from an EJax trade.

I like the chances of our coaching staff increasing this kid's value as it's pretty low right now. If he tears it up this year he could bring us a stud outfielder in the offseason or carry us to hopefully another playoff berth.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
True, but it's not unheard of. Kenny did this a few years ago with the Rangers (McCarthy for Danks).

it comes down to internal scouting, Rangers must have not liked Danks or at least thought he didn't fit their org for some reason and same with McCarthy

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Bernstein is just so incredibly arrogant for the amount of knowledge he has.

Love to listen to him talk about football. Very knowledgeable.

Hate to listen to him talk about baseball. Completely clueless but acts like he knows what he's talking about.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
Love to listen to him talk about football. Very knowledgeable.

Hate to listen to him talk about baseball. Completely clueless but acts like he knows what he's talking about.

I actually like Bernstein, both his on air character and I've met him in social settings a few times, but you are right about baseball... to me it's like he learned about Sabermetrics in the last 2 years or so and tries to apply the numbers to everything and it's the final answer.