White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
is this sarcasm?

No, I think there were a lot of players who seemed like they would be good fits at DH.

Thome, Vladdy and Huff all ended up badly or worse...yet ended up having good to great rebound seasons.

If we spent on the likes of Damon or Matsui, that money wouldn't be there now for Jackson, ARGUABLY.

Too funny that the M's had to send down Justin Smoak to AAA, btw.

Two months ago, the idea of trading Viciedo for Smoak would have been laughed at hysterically. Now at least 50% of MLB GM's would take Dayan, I'd venture.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
I'd personally like to see Teahen and Viciedo platoon at DH with Omar at 3rd when Mark comes back. If you want to put Mark in RF and give CQ some DH appearances to try to keep him healthy on days righties pitch, I'm fine with that since Teahen can't be any worse than Carlos out there. Anything like that works.

I wouldn't want a straight platoon cause Teahen will get way too many at bats. Viciedo is a much better option. Teahen I still think is buzzkill.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I wouldn't want a straight platoon cause Teahen will get way too many at bats. Viciedo is a much better option. Teahen I still think is buzzkill.

I've seen strong evidence to tell me the pimp can crush lefties. And Mark has an .820 OPS against righties this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
I've seen strong evidence to tell me the pimp can crush lefties. And Mark has an .820 OPS against righties this year.

I am in favor of the platoon. I'm more in favor of Carlos DHing full time though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
I am in favor of the platoon. I'm more in favor of Carlos DHing full time though.

Well in my scenario, you can DH Carlos and put Teahen in RF on days he plays (which is the majority of the time since he plays against righties). That's the best you can do with keeping Carlos out of the field for the rest of this year, he has to be out there against lefties.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
We'll see how you feel if we have to trade Danks due to money issues or cannot re-sign Konerko.

The trade would have never have been approved by JR if he felt that was the case.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Well in my scenario, you can DH Carlos and put Teahen in RF on days he plays (which is the majority of the time since he plays against righties). That's the best you can do with keeping Carlos out of the field for the rest of this year, he has to be out there against lefties.

Combining the two plans would work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
The only flaw is that it involves Mark Kotsay losing at-bats, which won't happen.

I'm trying to ignore that right now. At some point, Kenny has to point out that Mark Kotsay sucks to Ozzie and tell Ozzie to stop playing him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
The only flaw is that it involves Mark Kotsay losing at-bats, which won't happen.

Haha not only does the plan involve Kotsay losing at bats, it involves him being designated for assignment. Which is why it'll really never happen.

Everything I could possible say here has been said a lot more succinctly then I could have put it. To reiterate the points would only serve to frustrate and I have no intention of doing that. Simply put: I’m disappointed. I’m not giving up on this team; I just think that certain adjustments need to be made now. Namely, the installation of Dayan Viciedo as the permanent DH on this team. A lot of my concerns can be addressed right here: dump Kotsay when Teahen gets back,

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
The trade would have never have been approved by JR if he felt that was the case.

I see this argument all the time, and I laugh. JR leaves so much trust and power in KW and Ozzie. I highly doubt he puts in much word over personal as you make it seem to be.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:41 PM)
I see this argument all the time, and I laugh. JR leaves so much trust and power in KW and Ozzie. I highly doubt he puts in much word over personal as you make it seem to be.

meh, i don't think there's an ownership in the league that doesn't have to approve an increase in salary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
meh, i don't think there's an ownership in the league that doesn't have to approve an increase in salary.

Oh, I know he had to approve of it. But some people are acting like JR said okay and increased the budget for next year. For all we know, JR doesn't care as long as we are under X amount next year.

Plus, it's only a slight increase of about 1.5 million in budget this year.

That's a reason to keep Jones and DFA Kotsay, he make swing and miss, but if he can make contact it can go into the seats, something that Kotsay seems to not have the ability to do anymore...

The tank is swinging too hot a bat right now to be sent down, Lilli has speed so he's great for pinch running, Jones has the defensive substitution factor, and what does Kotsay have? He's a lefty...Guess what? So is Teahen....

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
That's a reason to keep Jones and DFA Kotsay, he make swing and miss, but if he can make contact it can go into the seats, something that Kotsay seems to not have the ability to do anymore...

The tank is swinging too hot a bat right now to be sent down, Lilli has speed so he's great for pinch running, Jones has the defensive substitution factor, and what does Kotsay have? He's a lefty...Guess what? So is Teahen....

This is the same group of guys that decided that Kotsay was more valuable to the club than Thome (sorry Kyyle). I would not be surprised at all if they saw something in him that no other human being on the planet does.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
I thought there'd be more complaining about our hitting tonight vs. the A's on a night we made no improvement in the offense.

We're 0-1 post trade deadline.

Kotsay wasn't in the lineup, Viciedo was effective, and Jones had the Sox's RBI, even though he had some defensive issues.

Yeah, good post. That is about right.

I know this doesn't belong in this thread. But I'm pissed. The Twins have won 7 freaking games in a row. I'm sick of them. They are too good every single year only to suck in the playoffs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)

I know this doesn't belong in this thread. But I'm pissed. The Twins have won 7 freaking games in a row. I'm sick of them. They are too good every single year only to suck in the playoffs.

They're beating up on crap right now, just like we are. That's the schedule.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)

You know they've been on fire since a certain closer went dookie in his pants a few weeks back, right? :P