Waiver Wire Thread

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Some other things worth mentioning on waiver trades...

Teams waive pretty much every single player on their roster during August. This is done to mask the players that they are looking to trade. It is also done because each team can only claim so many people per day. I also believe you can only waive 5 people per day.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:31 PM)
Some other things worth mentioning on waiver trades...

Teams waive pretty much every single player on their roster during August. This is done to mask the players that they are looking to trade. It is also done because each team can only claim so many people per day. I also believe you can only waive 5 people per day.

I think it's 7.

So, if a player is claimed off Waivers, can that team decide "Ah, nevermind"? Or can the team who placed him on waivers say "Too bad, we are giving him to you for free".

I know they have like 72 hours to work out a trade or whatever the time frame is, but can the team just decide to give him away for free to the other team (like the Rios situation), and the recieving team not be able to stop it?

Basically, I want to know if there is a risk to claiming a player you don't intend to actually acquire (like in a blocking situation).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
So, if a player is claimed off Waivers, can that team decide "Ah, nevermind"? Or can the team who placed him on waivers say "Too bad, we are giving him to you for free".

I know they have like 72 hours to work out a trade or whatever the time frame is, but can the team just decide to give him away for free to the other team (like the Rios situation), and the recieving team not be able to stop it?

Basically, I want to know if there is a risk to claiming a player you don't intend to actually acquire (like in a blocking situation).

Yep. If you claim him, you have to be ready to take on his contract.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
So then how often does "blocking" actually occur if the team may end up getting stuck with the player they didn't even want?

I think last year's waiver claim of Rios, was kind of a block against the Tigers. I read a report last year stating that, although I'd assume there would be some interest if any team were to attempt a block; considering getting stuck with said player and their contract is a possibility.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
So then how often does "blocking" actually occur if the team may end up getting stuck with the player they didn't even want?

There is zero protection to the claiming team. The two teams can hold talks, but the team who owns the player has all of the cards. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened in the past.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
I think last year's waiver claim of Rios, was kind of a block against the Tigers. I read a report last year stating that, although I'd assume there would be some interest if any team were to attempt a block; considering getting stuck with said player and their contract is a possibility.

The Rios claim was not a $50 million block to the Tigers. The Rios claim was a Rios claim. The Sox are incredibly thorough in their player evaluations and they saw a very good chance Rios would recover, and they were right.

No business makes $50-60 million dollar guesses.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
The Rios claim was not a $50 million block to the Tigers. The Rios claim was a Rios claim. The Sox are incredibly thorough in their player evaluations and they saw a very good chance Rios would recover, and they were right.

Yeah, people like to say it was a block but there's simply no way you make a $60M block, not a chance. Especially when you KNOW the team putting him on waivers is desperately cash strapped and not all that happy with the performance/attitude of said player. KW wanted Rios.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Yeah, people like to say it was a block but there's simply no way you make a $60M block, not a chance. Especially when you KNOW the team putting him on waivers is desperately cash strapped and not all that happy with the performance/attitude of said player. KW wanted Rios.

And now we know why. The dude is a hell of an all-around player!

That's where I goofed up, the team waiving the player can rescind the waiver. A team making a claim can't rescind the claim.

So like I though, the only way to "block" someone from another team is to claim them yourself.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Yes...it's plausible, but the odds are that it would require taking on a bad contract (a-la Rios last year).

Or simply an upcoming free agent on a non-contender.

Not that I assume it likely, but can players' non-trade clauses come into play, like Derek Lee for example. Does he have any sort of "non-waive" rights?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)

I don't think it was a block either. But the Tigers, were in fact blocked by a team with a worse record coveting a player which could've been theirs. I also don't know who you speak to that tells you how thorough we are but I'd like to hear more about your source or your affiliation with the club. And it wasn't a 50-60 million dollar guess, what it was, was a guy worth X amount of dollars based on his current and previous play, a team wanting to shed his actual salary, a team with gaping whole at the position he played, and that team willing to take the GAMBLE that he could rebound to be worth close to his contract value.

Anyone follow the player values on some of the other websites? How much is he worth this season. Since he is having his best season potentially of his career, is it worth the money being paid or short or over? Just curious.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
That's where I goofed up, the team waiving the player can rescind the waiver. A team making a claim can't rescind the claim.

So like I though, the only way to "block" someone from another team is to claim them yourself.

Or simply an upcoming free agent on a non-contender.

Not that I assume it likely, but can players' non-trade clauses come into play, like Derek Lee for example. Does he have any sort of "non-waive" rights?

Yes.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Ah nevermind. I just looked up Fukudome's offensive numbers and he sucks.

Not with that OBP and his plus defense he doesn't suck.

But he's sure not worth his price tag, which means he could likely pass through waivers, and then a deal could be worked out where the Cubs pay a big chunk of his salary.

I never stated that KW didn't have any interest in Rios and the move was purely a block. In fact I stated the contrary and said any block performed by any team have to consider the option of that player joining them, since it's a strong possibility. There were several reports last year, because of how quick the claim was put in, that the Sox knew Detroit had interest in Rios and acted quickly.

Anyone think the Mets would put Carlos Beltran on waivers? His power numbers dipped last year and he is coming off major knee surgery. If he made it to us in the scenario would he be worth the taking if the Mets pay some salary? I would see him as a salary dump as he is a FA after next year? When healthy he does pose a nice threat from the left side but he is owed 18 million next year, ouch!! OK flame away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
Is that something he had written into his contract, or is that something that comes with 10-5 rights?

It would be either - I believe they work essentially the same. If a player negotiates for no trade protection, he is protected from exactly that, being traded. Claiming a player on waivers still must technically result in a trade of that player for him to change teams. Otherwise, a player with no trade protection has no protection at all. A team could just place him on waivers and give him away for nothing if they wanted badly enough to get out from under the contract, and the player would be rendered powerless.

Now what a team could do is simply DFA the player and the player could then choose to sign with another team or choose to sit on his couch, but you cannot technically force a player with no trade protection to play for another team, as far as I understand.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Anyone think the Mets would put Carlos Beltran on waivers? His power numbers dipped last year and he is coming off major knee surgery. If he made it to us in the scenario would he be worth the taking if the Mets pay some salary? I would see him as a salary dump as he is a FA after next year? When healthy he does pose a nice threat from the left side but he is owed 18 million next year, ouch!! OK flame away.

Every player on every team will probably be placed on waivers. Your question is better phrased as will he pass through waivers unclaimed.

The answer is absolutely.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
Every player on every team will probably be placed on waivers. Your question is better phrased as will he pass through waivers unclaimed.

The answer is absolutely.

Ya. I always read that most players get put on it.

Beltran is an interesting name. I know he has one more year after this on contract for a whole lot. Anyone know how his deferred money works? I saw online his salary is 18.5 but it says he is owed 22mil from 08-2011 with a 1.72% compounding interest.

He hasn't exactly proven anything this season but if the Mets wanted to pick up most of the tab, probably would cost us more and isn't really worth it at that point, but he would be an interesting guy for us. DH him, put him in the OF to give someone else a day off.