August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
Whomever they send down has to stay down for 10 days. So it's not going to be TPain.

What they should do is put Kotsay on the 15 day DL retroactive to whenever he last played (Wednesday?) with a forearm strain or something bogus, bring Torres up, then send him back down after the start and bring Chris Sale up.

Then bring Teahan back when we return home and send down whomever you feel least comfortable with, Threets or Sale.

Send down Lilli or Viciedo after an more extensive look at what Dayan can do when it is time to bring Kotsay back.

Why would there be a reason to ever bring him back?

Floyd has made 22 starts.

1st 11 starts:

6.64 ERA, 61 innings, 78 hits, 45 ER, 23 BB, 49 K, 7 HR

2nd 11 starts:

1.06 ERA, 76.1 innings, 54 hits, 9 ER, 17 BB, 63 K, 0 HR

That's right. Floyd has not given up a homer in 11 starts. 77 innings. That's impressive.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
When he comes back, I bet money he is wearing one of those space cadet helmets like David Wright wore

At least IMO, anyone in MLB who isn't wearing one of those for "fashion" reasons is out of their minds.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
I like our chances to take 3 of 4 in Detroit with the way the Tigers offense has been playing. However, looking at the pitching matchups in Tampa, the Twins might be able to take 3 of 4.

Even though the Twins looked really good beating up the teams at the bottom of the AL...I think you're seriously underestimating how good the Rays are, esp. at home.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
Floyd has made 22 starts.

1st 11 starts:

6.64 ERA, 61 innings, 78 hits, 45 ER, 23 BB, 49 K, 7 HR

2nd 11 starts:

1.06 ERA, 76.1 innings, 54 hits, 9 ER, 17 BB, 63 K, 0 HR

That's right. Floyd has not given up a homer in 11 starts. 77 innings. That's impressive.

now you've done it!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Even though the Twins looked really good beating up the teams at the bottom of the AL...I think you're seriously underestimating how good the Rays are, esp. at home.

But you have to give the Twins the edge tonight with the rookie going tonight against Pavano (8-0 in last 10 starts).

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
But you have to give the Twins the edge tonight with the rookie going tonight against Pavano (8-0 in last 10 starts).

I'd like to note...in this post, you used the phrase "The rookie" as opposed to other phrases you could have chosen. For example "Hellickson" or "the Rays top prospect" or "one of the top prospects in baseball coming into this year" or "The 23 year old who has gone 18-4 with an ERA of 2.5 at AAA Durham over a year there".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I'd like to note...in this post, you used the phrase "The rookie" as opposed to other phrases you could have chosen. For example "Hellickson" or "the Rays top prospect" or "one of the top prospects in baseball coming into this year" or "The 23 year old who has gone 18-4 with an ERA of 2.5 at AAA Durham over a year there".

He's still a prospect that hasn't proven anything at the major league level. Sure he might dominate tonight but it's a stretch to think that he is favored to win. Besides, the Twins offense has been clicking.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
He's still a prospect that hasn't proven anything at the major league level. Sure he might dominate tonight but it's a stretch to think that he is favored to win. Besides, the Twins offense has been clicking.

The Rays have won 8 of their last 9, and in the process beat up on Cleveland (Who was playing good ball), the Tigers (Who weren't playing good ball), and the Yankees.

Chances are pretty good that Mauer is out tonight.

The Twins said they planned to sit him for a couple of games after a cortisone shot in his shoulder Saturday night.

Without him, I like the Rays at home, even with a rookie on the mound.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)

Vegas has Tampa as a slight favorite to win tonight at -115

I was at a party Saturday during the deadline, and a friend was constantly checking his phone for updates. By 3:30 we knew nothing else was going to happen. At that point and for the next day I was content to give KW a D+ for the deal. Swapping Hudson for Jackson seemed like an even trade (no real improvement), and for that he gets a C. But factor in the money and that drops his grade to a D. I added the plus because of the experience Jackson has.

Today though, I feel a little better about it. If Coop can fix him and Jackson goes out there and pitches his ass off and helps the Sox get to the post-season, I'll be happy. Like someone else said, Coop may have very well went to KW and said that Hudson's celing is lower than we thought. And if that is the case, that's fine. The $8 million Jackson is owed next year is still a concern.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
I was at a party Saturday during the deadline, and a friend was constantly checking his phone for updates. By 3:30 we knew nothing else was going to happen. At that point and for the next day I was content to give KW a D+ for the deal. Swapping Hudson for Jackson seemed like an even trade (no real improvement), and for that he gets a C. But factor in the money and that drops his grade to a D. I added the plus because of the experience Jackson has.

Today though, I feel a little better about it. If Coop can fix him and Jackson goes out there and pitches his ass off and helps the Sox get to the post-season, I'll be happy. Like someone else said, Coop may have very well went to KW and said that Hudson's celing is lower than we thought. And if that is the case, that's fine. The $8 million Jackson is owed next year is still a concern.

I'm sure all the variables you mentioned in your second paragraph were all taken into consideration and thoroughly discussed by the Sox brain trust.

Just looked over our schedule. I think 18-10 or 19-9 are possible for what we can achieve for the rest of the month.

That'd make us either 77-55 or 78-54 by September. If that were the case, we'd be in pretty damn good shape. With this schedule, we just have to do what we've been doing. Beat up on the bad teams (Baltimore, KC, Cleveland), compete with the good ones (Minnesota, New York, Detroit).

With the Twins' schedule, I'm thinking they'll go somewhere around 14-13. So that'd make them 73-59, making them 4-5 games back by September. I can dream right? :)

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Just looked over our schedule. I think 18-10 or 19-9 are possible for what we can achieve for the rest of the month.

That'd make us either 77-55 or 78-54 by September. If that were the case, we'd be in pretty damn good shape. With this schedule, we just have to do what we've been doing. Beat up on the bad teams (Baltimore, KC, Cleveland), compete with the good ones (Minnesota, New York, Detroit).

With the Twins' schedule, I'm thinking they'll go somewhere around 14-13. So that'd make them 73-59, making them 4-5 games back by September. I can dream right? :)

I remember looking at the final weeks of the 2008 season and wondering how we could possibly lose it...then with the scheduling, how the Twins could possibly blow it, with the likes of Kansas City as their final series of the season.

Now that the Twins' CLE-BALT-KC-SEATTLE part of the schedule is over, it's going to be interesting to see what team sustains its success.

It used to be that the Twins almost always had the easier schedule coming down the stretch, for some reason...although in 2008, that Republican National Convention played a HUGE role in putting them into a tailspin because of the nearly two week road trip it created.

Edited by caulfield12