August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 06:49 AM)
Floyd has made 22 starts.

1st 11 starts:

6.64 ERA, 61 innings, 78 hits, 45 ER, 23 BB, 49 K, 7 HR

2nd 11 starts:

1.06 ERA, 76.1 innings, 54 hits, 9 ER, 17 BB, 63 K, 0 HR

That's right. Floyd has not given up a homer in 11 starts. 77 innings. That's impressive.

He did something similar last season as well, apparently he's not a fan of April and May either.

FROM Scott Merkin's blog:

Sale soon could join the White Sox

The White Sox will have to make a roster move in between games of today's doubleheader in order to bring up expected Game 2 starter, Carlos Torres, from Triple-A Charlotte. That temporary odd man out figures to be left-handed reliever Erick Threets, with the White Sox not needing to go with 13 pitchers, although Threets is out of options.

But with Torres being unavailable for the next four games after his start, the White Sox basically will be down to 11 pitchers and need another arm. They also will be left with one southpaw, in Matt Thornton, so they could dip to Charlotte for a left-hander and send Torres back, as they did with Lucas Harrell after last Friday's victory.

Randy Williams, who started the season with the White Sox, could come back to the South Siders. Don't be surprised, though, if Chris Sale, the team's top pick from the 2010 First-Year Player Draft and 13th selection overall, is promoted.

Sale has been dominant since being moved to Charlotte, fanning 15 over 6 1/3 innings. The White Sox believe he can help out of the bullpen this season, and with a spot open on the 40-man roster, Sale could start helping this week in Detroit.

Edited by justBLAZE

Well, I can't say I feel like Threets has earned a demotion, nor am I 100% sure Sale has earned a callup yet, but I think giving him an August callup was likely in his contract when he signed it. Better Threets - > Sale than dumping Viciedo for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Well, I can't say I feel like Threets has earned a demotion, nor am I 100% sure Sale has earned a callup yet, but I think giving him an August callup was likely in his contract when he signed it. Better Threets - > Sale than dumping Viciedo for him.

Theets being out of options has to clear waivers before being sent?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Theets being out of options has to clear waivers before being sent?

I'm not totally sure about that...I'm sure he signed a minor league deal before the season, so I think there are instances where guys on minor league deals can be sent up and down without having to clear waivers.

Of course, that could be why he's to the DL and not AAA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
I'm not totally sure about that...I'm sure he signed a minor league deal before the season, so I think there are instances where guys on minor league deals can be sent up and down without having to clear waivers.

Of course, that could be why he's to the DL and not AAA.

Not after he was added to the 40 man and big league roster. He'd have to clear waivers, hence why he's on the DL.

Saw this on my CBS Fantasy League, LMAO

Beckham gets pranked at deadline

Gordon Beckham, 3B CHW

News: From The Sports Xchange notes: 2B Gordon Beckham was the target of a Kenny Williams joke as the non-waiver trade deadline came to a close Saturday. The GM called his second-year player into manager Ozzie Guillen's office just 10 minutes before the deadline and closed the door behind him. "Ozzie went 'No!' and the other coaches said 'No!'" Williams said. "(Beckham) had this look of like, 'No, really?'" What did Williams tell him? "'Well, I would really like to say one thing to you before I get into the nuts and bolts of this stuff,'" Williams said. "'That at-bat you had (Friday) night, where you pushed across that run, it was one of the best at-bats you had all year. I just want to say nice job.' Then I shook his hand, and he said, 'That's it?' And I said 'That's it.' He had a sigh of relief. Ozzie had a sigh of relief and started cursing at me." Beckham has been subject to trade rumors for the last month, but was told last week he was not going to be traded.

Analysis: Beckham has hit .379 since after the break and is much closer to the player we saw in 2009 than in the first half. Consider him a sleeper to use in all Fantasy formats again, especially if he is eligible at second or third in your league still.

We fell to 11th in CBS Sports Power Rankings, while the Twins are up to 7th.

The reasoning: mostly because the Twins have a plus-91 run differential on the season while the White Sox run differential is plus-53.

Of course, since June 9 (a period of nearly two months) our run differential is plus 90 while the Twins' is plus 36. If you are going to use run differential to justify a power ranking, you should probably take that into account...

Their other reason is that Pierre's OBP at the top of the order is a "sinkhole." Over the last 30 days, Juan's OBP has been .367. If this is a power ranking, it should reflect the fact that Pierre is not killing us right now.

QUOTE (asmithxc @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Their other reason is that Pierre's OBP at the top of the order is a "sinkhole." Over the last 30 days, Juan's OBP has been .367. If this is a power ranking, it should reflect the fact that Pierre is not killing us right now.

It's been .357 since May 1 (not counting his awesome power and RBI surge today)

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Saw this on my CBS Fantasy League, LMAO

Beckham gets pranked at deadline

Gordon Beckham, 3B CHW

News: From The Sports Xchange notes: 2B Gordon Beckham was the target of a Kenny Williams joke as the non-waiver trade deadline came to a close Saturday. The GM called his second-year player into manager Ozzie Guillen's office just 10 minutes before the deadline and closed the door behind him. "Ozzie went 'No!' and the other coaches said 'No!'" Williams said. "(Beckham) had this look of like, 'No, really?'" What did Williams tell him? "'Well, I would really like to say one thing to you before I get into the nuts and bolts of this stuff,'" Williams said. "'That at-bat you had (Friday) night, where you pushed across that run, it was one of the best at-bats you had all year. I just want to say nice job.' Then I shook his hand, and he said, 'That's it?' And I said 'That's it.' He had a sigh of relief. Ozzie had a sigh of relief and started cursing at me." Beckham has been subject to trade rumors for the last month, but was told last week he was not going to be traded.

Analysis: Beckham has hit .379 since after the break and is much closer to the player we saw in 2009 than in the first half. Consider him a sleeper to use in all Fantasy formats again, especially if he is eligible at second or third in your league still.

That is a phenomenal prank. Kudos to Kenny. Wow.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 06:26 AM)
Looking ahead to this weekend, gotta be a bit worried about the 9th inning. Sox need to score a lot of runs vs. the awful Oriole rotation to avoid close games.

Jenks career vs. BAL: 8 for 13 in save opps, 7.98 ERA, 2.18 WHIP, .379 BAA

I think we should worry more (if any) about the currently hot Orioles team as a whole, Bob looks fine.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:05 AM)
I think we should worry more (if any) about the currently hot Orioles team as a whole, Bob looks fine.

I don't know if I'd call them hot. They have won two in a row against an Angels team that hasn't exactly been playing their best baseball. Before this series, the Orioles had lost 14 of their previous 17. I'm just saying that for some reason Bobby has always struggled against the Orioles, just something to watch out for.