August White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
ESPN did an E:60 report on Nick Swisher. Swisher talked about how "I have a reputation around the league as being a really great clubhouse guy"......

Yeah, except for the fact we traded you because you annoyed the s*** out of our players.....

We traded him because Ozzie didn't like him.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not denying that Swisher was probably disliked by a great many people in our clubhouse. Hell as far as I know, Crede, Uribe and Jenksy are the only people who openly seemed to like Swish. I’m just saying that when it comes down to it everything leading up to Swish’s dismissal from this team comes from a deep division that existed between himself and the manager. I'd say Swish and Ozzie share equal blame for how things turned out. Swish was a punk and Ozzie was stubborn. It was a bad combination from the start.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Surely Nick Swisher would be smarter than too allow pictures of such a thing. But seriously, I thought that was Chicago's worst kept secret?

It would be up there along with the extracurricular activities of Kyle Farnsworth, Scottie Pippen, etc.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
The Quotable Ozzie Guillen from The Onion

The colorful White Sox manager is in the spotlight for comments about supposed favoritism toward Asian players, but it isn't the first time he's had something to say.

* 2006: "I very much love the people and the fans of Chicago, because they pay me very much to play a baseball manager in Chicago, even though I very much hate the people and fans in Chicago"

* 2006: "I don't give s*** about the home-field advantages for the World Series. You know what I care about? Where the f*** is the Smash Mouth? Why aren't they here for singing the 'All Star' song? I love that s***"

* 2007: "I love Dustin Pedroia. He is very good hitter. And he has a strong back, so he could be climbed up on and I sit on his shoulders and ride around on him like riding a little horse that loves me and eats apples and I have to pitch around because he is a good hitter"

* 2008: "I never say one bad thing about those stupid f***ing Cubs fans. Not a single word about those mother-s***ting pieces of f***"

* 2008: "If we win the World Series, I will quit baseball and run for mayor mostly on a campaign platform of minimizing the city's budget, while still raising revenues with strategic tax plan for Chicago businesses"

* 2009: "Wrigley Field makes me puke. When I eat a little bit of the ivy on the wall it make me puke barf everywhere"

* 2010: It's not the fair for Japanese players have the interpreter. I want the interpreter so I can understand what the f*** it is I am talk about"

lol, all of this could very well be actual Ozzie quotes

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
Hey Alex Cora was released by the Mets. I bet Ozzie would be salivating to add him to the lineup, maybe at DH, 3B or 2B.

I believe I read a quote from Ozzie in the Trib saying he honestly would have wanted him earlier in the season if he was released.

I know everyone keeps saying our pitching staff is better than the Twins but they are playing really well, posting a 3.42 ERA since the ASB. I just don't see them falling apart out of nowhere. They've been consistently solid all year long.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
I know everyone keeps saying our pitching staff is better than the Twins but they are playing really well, posting a 3.42 ERA since the ASB. I just don't see them falling apart out of nowhere. They've been consistently solid all year long.

The Twins 3-4-5 in their rotation from June until the ASB were terrible, and Liriano wasn't outstanding by great either. Slowey, Baker, and Blackburn are 3 of the big reasons the Sox 25-5 run didn't just get them back into the race but instead into 1st place heading into the ASB. Duensing is better than Blackburn (who had an ERA of 6+ before being sent down) and both Slowey and Baker have turned it on a bit in the past 3 weeks.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)

the twins arent going anywhere. i consider them the favorite to win the division still. and if we dont have a lead of a couple games going into september i think we are in trouble.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
I had the same reaction.

I really didn't get it.

He clearly jogged towards the bag and tried to tag it.

"I screwed that up by going toward first base," Konerko said. "But what actually happened on that play, if you watch the replays, is I never touched first base. They called that guy safe, but out for running out of the baseline. I fired home because I knew I made a wrong decision by going to the bag."

wow....seems like in that situation, if the batter obstructs the play at the plate, the runner who is coming home should be the one called out.

i mean theoretically you could force a tag instead of a force out of you are the batter in that situation....clearly i dont think wieters tried to, but it happened anyways....can't say ive ever seen that before....baseball is a weird sport

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...ame_pk%3D265482

if you watch teh second replay, you can clearly see the first base umpire call the runner safe (in other words konerko DIDN'T STEP on 1b)....the home plate ump probably never even realized this, and didn't realize it should have been a force play at home (its debatable whether AJ had the plate or not...1st replay looked like it, second was iffy)

the runner (wieters) was or at least should have been called out for abandoning his effort on the basepaths.....the question is whether this call comes before or after the play at the plate, and whether or not the home plate umpire knew this was the call....

weird weird and interesting play

Edited by daa84