AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
Was I the only one who watched Bobby Jenks his first 3 years in the big leagues? He always, always, always used the curveball as his out pitch. He'd get ahead, get 2 strikes on the hitter, and everyone knew the hook was coming...no one could hit it though since they still had the fastball to protect against.

You're exactly right . 2005 Bobby was really the only version that was fastball dominant. From 2006 on he used the hammer curve to finish people off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
You're exactly right . 2005 Bobby was really the only version that was fastball dominant. From 2006 on he used the hammer curve to finish people off.

which, for whatever reason, isn't working right now, so adjustments, either mechanically to get the curveball back or as Balta pointed out in another thread, possibly not tipped or a change in philosophy of how he attacks hitters.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Here is the deal....

Thornton sucked today....walked two to lead off the inning?

JJ Putz sucked yesterday....did he even get an out? And today he gave up a rope that Alexei miraculously turned into a inning ending doubleplay.

Sergio struggled as recently as last week.

Hello,gang, Bobby was nasty today,cept for no command of his breaking stuff. If they stick to fastballs,he closes it out no problem.

The Twins new closer blew a save this week. It happens.

Bobbys stuff is still very good...97mph fastball.

The breaking ball to Raeburn was a stupid pitch to call....that is all.

Wow, Hawk Harrelson actually posts on this board.

When are you going to retire, Ken?

Love the posts on here praising Kotsay. Shows soxtalk is not full of a bunch of ingrates. Konerko witih two more hits as well as Pierre. Just three guys with multi hit games. Kotsay's four RBIs really stand out. We win.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
Love the posts on here praising Kotsay. Shows soxtalk is not full of a bunch of ingrates. Konerko witih two more hits as well as Pierre. Just three guys with multi hit games. Kotsay's four RBIs really stand out. We win.

I dont think anyone on here wants any player to actually fail while they are on the Sox, they may feel that a change is best for the team but if a player is batting for the Sox I bet you everyone is rooting for them to do something well.

The sum is greater than the parts.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
I dont think anyone on here wants any player to actually fail while they are on the Sox, they may feel that a change is best for the team but if a player is batting for the Sox I bet you everyone is rooting for them to do something well.

The sum is greater than the parts.

Exactly. I hate Juan Pierre. I think he's a mediocre player with exactly one tool. But he's been outstanding the last three months. We wouldn't be where we are without him. If you can help my team win games, that's all that matters to me.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Can someone remind me what Kotsay WAR is right now? Yaknow, that useless stat which is routinely proven to be bulls***.

It's not useless. And you don't really need a stat to figure out that Mark Kotsay is not really good at baseball.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Can someone remind me what Kotsay WAR is right now? Yaknow, that useless stat which is routinely proven to be bulls***.

It was at -1.0 entering the game and my guess is it's highest is at -0.9 after today.

It's not useless. And you don't really need a stat to figure out that Mark Kotsay is not really good at baseball.

No, its utterly and completely useless. A lame attempt to find a credible stat that ties individual production to team winning, which would circumvent the argument "the stat that matters is wins!". Did Mark Kotsay WAR magically go up by one in the last 24 hours? Because I'm fairly certain he just won us one baseball game more than the phantom Replacement Player.

I'm not using this to defend Kotsay, who has not been good this season, this is purely an attack on stupid statistics that dont make any sense.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
which, for whatever reason, isn't working right now, so adjustments, either mechanically to get the curveball back or as Balta pointed out in another thread, possibly not tipped or a change in philosophy of how he attacks hitters.

The bench calling for a slider was dumb as f***. His fastball and hard curve was what he needed, unfortunately he hit Jackson with that curve, but the fastball was working. Eliminate all of his pitches but 3 and let the guy throw.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
No, its utterly and completely useless. A lame attempt to find a credible stat that ties individual production to team winning, which would circumvent the argument "the stat that matters is wins!". Did Mark Kotsay WAR magically go up by one in the last 24 hours? Because I'm fairly certain he just won us one baseball game more than the phantom Replacement Player.

I'm not using this to defend Kotsay, who has not been good this season, this is purely an attack on stupid statistics that dont make any sense.

According to WPA, Kotsay was responsible for winning half a game today.

Saying things like WAR should incorporate walk-off hits as "winning a whole game" is flat out ridiculous. Unless that guy pitched to get all 27 outs, played every position, got every single hit in every batting slot, he doesn't deserve a whole WAR just because he came up in the right spot at the right time.

Your perception of value and contribution to wins are skewed.

And if you would like, please explain to us why WAR is bulls***. Do you know how it is calculated? Do you know the components of it for position players, for pitchers? If you don't know how it goes, don't knock it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
The bench calling for a slider was dumb as f***. His fastball and hard curve was what he needed, unfortunately he hit Jackson with that curve, but the fastball was working. Eliminate all of his pitches but 3 and let the guy throw.

i think you mean Santiago?