Ozzie Guillen

BigSqwert

Take him or leave him?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If we DON'T make the post season....

• Get rid of him. He's outstayed his welcome.
    • Keep him. The players let him down.
    • Give him one more year.
  2. 2. If we DO make the post season...

• Get rid of him. He still can't manage worth a lick.
    • Keep him. How can you get rid of a guy that brought us a WS and 2 other DIV titles.
    • Give him one more year.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the reasons I am tired of Ozzie include:

- Repeated instances of lineups that make no sense

- Disregard for using any statistical analysis for lineup or bullpen decisions

- Falls in love with players that should play no more than once every 10 days and plays them at near full time status

- General consensus around the league that he's a manager that people don't want to play for. Might be part of the reason why so many NTCs have been enacted against us

- Obsession with building an NL style ball club in the AL and in a park that is built for power hitters

- The stats in my sig

Edited by BigSqwert

I'll give him one more year. Maybe next year he will complain that they're discriminating against crab grass by using blue grass all the time. JUST BECAUSE IT'S THICK AND UGLY AND HURTS WHEN YOU FALL ON IT DOESN'T MEAN IT HASN'T STRUGGLED THROUGHOUT ITS TIME ON THIS PLANET

I think I'd be fine with Ozzie sticking around longer. I think with the teams he has had, he has done alright. Do I agree with all the decisions he makes? No, but that will happen with any manager and I don't think he's the baseball idiot that many around here believe.

That being said, are there other managers I'd rather have? Yeah. If they could sign one of the top guy to replace him, would I be for it? Sure, but I don't think he should be fired just to be fired, I think he's done a good job overall.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
I for one don't think I know more than a major league manager and his coaching staff. The Sox have struggled and the fact we had a winning period seems to have clouded all that has gone wrong for some reason.

/deviladvocat'd

Ozzie is extremely stubborn and falls in love with players that have no business being starters. His lineups often make me scratch my head. And I think you're right, Sqwert, a lot of players don't want to play for him. His latest embarrassing rant about Latin vs. Asian players was even shunned by the Sox. Unless the Sox win the division, I think Ozzie has to go. Regardless, I would hope that KW doesn't let Ozzie have as much power again.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
I'm curious as to why making the playoffs makes a difference (unless we would make it due to a drastic shift in his baseball philosophy).

For two reasons. One, I think given that we're in contention, he deserves the chance to finish proving out his plan, even if I don't like certain aspects of it. And two, even though I despise certain things he does, if he does manage to take this team to a division win, then I might just be wrong. In that case, I want him to show me again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
You don't fire a guy for being in the pennant race.

Good call. Maybe the team isn't really that good. Right now is a bad time for the bull pen to fail.

Where's the angst against Coop?

How about Walker?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Good call. Maybe the team isn't really that good. Right now is a bad time for the bull pen to fail.

Where's the angst against Coop?

How about Walker?

Ozzie is the one who runs far too often, and causes this team to run into more outs than any other team by far. Ozzie is the one who didn't want Thome or a real DH, he wanted the rotating B.S. that we currently have, which has been far and away the biggest detriment to their success on offense. Ozzie is the one who ran JJ Putz out there three days in a row, if you want to get more specific and more recent. Ozzie deserves a significant portion of the blame for the Sox being 3 out.

Now, he does not deserve ALL the blame, by any stretch. Similarly, he deserves some credit for making sure his team didn't quit, and came roaring back into contention. But again, not all of it.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
God we are starting to sound like Bears fans. There's always something clearly better out there.

No manager will ever be good enough. They should just run the team based on fan voting before every game, I think we'd be set then.

Funny that you should mention the Bears. Similar to that team, the White Sox and Ozzie will always be defended for a title they won years ago. Ditka is still considered great by idiots all over the city. I wonder how long Ozzie will get the free pass due to 2005?