September Catch-All Thread

iamshack

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Daniel Hudson improves to 6-1 with a 1.67 ERA as a Diamondback tonight, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel tweets that Hudson "probably" could have been a Brewer had Milwaukee accepted a one-for-one offer from Chicago for Prince Fielder.  The problem at the time was that the Brewers projected Hudson as only a third or fourth starter and wanted more for their slugger.  Obviously hindsight is 20/20 on any missed trade, but if Hudson continues to pitch well in Arizona, it will put even more pressure on the Brewers to get a big return back if they do end up dealing Fielder.

Seeing huddy s numbers alone hurt but getiing prince would have been great, though I doubt hudson for prince straight up wouldn't happen. Still intrestinf post.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
As Daniel Hudson improves to 6-1 with a 1.67 ERA as a Diamondback tonight, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel tweets that Hudson "probably" could have been a Brewer had Milwaukee accepted a one-for-one offer from Chicago for Prince Fielder.  The problem at the time was that the Brewers projected Hudson as only a third or fourth starter and wanted more for their slugger.  Obviously hindsight is 20/20 on any missed trade, but if Hudson continues to pitch well in Arizona, it will put even more pressure on the Brewers to get a big return back if they do end up dealing Fielder.

Seeing huddy s numbers alone hurt but getiing prince would have been great, though I doubt hudson for prince straight up wouldn't happen. Still intrestinf post.

If that trade did happen then we would have needed another starter.

I don't care about the bulls***, "He's only in the NL argument."

This Hudson story is sad.

One of the few prospects we have worth a s*** in recent years and bam, we trade him for another pitcher who makes way more money.

Stupid s***.

As much as we b**** about the same things on here over and over ... bunting, Kotsay, Thome, Jenks ... I'd be all for thread after thread lamenting the loss of Hudson.

Oh I forgot. We don't care because he's only doing it in the NL.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)

One of the few prospects we have worth a s*** in recent years and bam, we trade him for another pitcher who makes way more money.

Stupid s***.

As much as we b**** about the same things on here over and over ... bunting, Kotsay, Thome, Jenks ... I'd be all for thread after thread lamenting the loss of Hudson.

Take it easy! There's no telling what Hudson will do in the long run. I personally gave KW a C for the trade. I do think he got a better, more experienced pitcher but for more money. As far as what Hudson is doing so far, he's not only doing it in the NL but some games in Petco which is a pitcher's paradise. And there have been threads or parts of threads about Hudson. There's one in the Diamond Talk that is over 200 posts.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)

Stupid s***.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78783

J4Life and I, plus a few others, have been arguing the whole time that losing Hudson will come back to haunt us big time, mostly because of the expense of Jackson and losing the cheap, quality 4/5th starter that we need to balance out the expensive rotation.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78783

J4Life and I, plus a few others, have been arguing the whole time that losing Hudson will come back to haunt us big time, mostly because of the expense of Jackson and losing the cheap, quality 4/5th starter that we need to balance out the expensive rotation.

We’re also establishing a troubled precedent of trading all our best assets the minute they make the major leagues. That’s quite the reward for the guys trying to work their way up in our system.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
We’re also establishing a troubled precedent of trading all our best assets the minute they make the major leagues. That’s quite the reward for the guys trying to work their way up in our system.

? Gordon Beckham, Alexei Ramirez, Chris Sale, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Sergio Santos, Dayan Viciedo all say hi.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
? Gordon Beckham, Alexei Ramirez, Chris Sale, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Sergio Santos, Dayan Viciedo all say hi.

Only two of those guys were drafted by this organization. I'm talking about in-house options, not Cuban national players or reclamation projects,

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
Sale to compete for a starting job in spring training next year. He is Peavy insurance it seems. Article also mentions the possibility of a 6 man rotation (lol wut) or Sale moving back into the pen after Peavy returns. (if Peavy's return was delayed in the first place)

http://tinyurl.com/2b8tr2f

I quite like the idea of going into next season with Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson and Sale all in the mix for the rotation. Definitely should be a strength, or maybe provides a very valuable trade chip if Peavy is indeed healthy and back to form.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
I quite like the idea of going into next season with Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson and Sale all in the mix for the rotation. Definitely should be a strength, or maybe provides a very valuable trade chip if Peavy is indeed healthy and back to form.

The only way I'd even consider trading Sale middle of next year...if he's having a successful year in AAA as a starter...is if I'm convinced he's 100 innings away from the Tommy John surgery.

Between D1 hitting FA at the end of 2012, Jackson hitting FA at the end of 2011, neither one having any reason to be extended, and Mark constantly talking about retirement...we need that extra arm. Hell, we could use a couple of them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
The only way I'd even consider trading Sale middle of next year...if he's having a successful year in AAA as a starter...is if I'm convinced he's 100 innings away from the Tommy John surgery.

Between D1 hitting FA at the end of 2012, Jackson hitting FA at the end of 2011, neither one having any reason to be extended, and Mark constantly talking about retirement...we need that extra arm. Hell, we could use a couple of them.

I wasn't talking about Sale.

Don't know where to put this, I'll put it here.

The starting pitching situation for next year does look good, but its scary how little depth there is behind those six in terms of real talent. AAA had nothing of use this year at all. Next year, the two guys who are above the Harrell/Torres level that are closest to ready would be Leesman and Shirek, neither of which look ready for 2011 after their 2010 campaigns (Leesman was mid-season to AA before he really got strong, and Shirek had injury issues). Behind those two you have guys like Dylan Axelrod and a bunch of really young guys in rookie ball that are not anywhere near ready. Some of those may have the talent, but are multiple years from contributing in any case.

This is an area the org needs to develop quickly, before an already expensive pitching staff starts reaching the end of their contracts or arb periods.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
Sale to compete for a starting job in spring training next year. He is Peavy insurance it seems. Article also mentions the possibility of a 6 man rotation (lol wut) or Sale moving back into the pen after Peavy returns. (if Peavy's return was delayed in the first place)

http://tinyurl.com/2b8tr2f

This is absolutely the right decision to make and I commend Kenny for not responding to the conventional thinking of putting a lefty kid with his kind of arm into the back of the bullpen and letting him rot.