September Catch-All Thread

iamshack

If the New York Mets general manager job opens up, White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn will be asked to interview, according to numerous major league sources. The sources say the Mets are ready to buy out the $2.2 million remaining on current general manager Omar Minaya’s contract that runs through 2012.

EDIT: soruce espn.com

Edited by justBLAZE

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
Why can't Ozzie just keep his mouth shut? I agree, this team has to get past the damn soap opera that is KW and Ozzie.

It's obvious he wants the Florida job and many of you will get your wish for a new manager.

It's actually a good way for Ozzie to come back someday.

Take another job now, turn Florida into a perennial playoff team, then come back to Chicago again when he needs a dose of hero worship at age 55 or so..

If he stays here much longer he will get fired as all managers are hired to be fired. Only way to come back to Chicago will be to take another job then come back again someday. It'll be tough to come back to the Sox some day if he's fired by the Sox now.

He'll enjoy the Florida weather much.

It's weird he wants to manage NL type baseball so much since he played for the Sox for so long in the AL.

I wonder who gets the Sox job: LaRussa or Torre?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
It's obvious he wants the Florida job and many of you will get your wish for a new manager.

Take another job now, turn Florida into a perennial playoff team, then come back to Chicago again when he needs a dose of hero worship at age 55 or so..

If he stays here much longer he will get fired as all managers are hired to be fired. Only way to come back to Chicago will be to take another job then come back again someday. It'll be tough to come back to the Sox some day if he's fired by the Sox now.

It's weird he wants to manage NL type baseball so much since he played for the Sox for so long in the AL.

The same way he did with the Sox?

I think you guys take Ozzie for granted, but you will get your wish.

In my mind, I think this is playing out it's 90-10 he's gone to Florida.

So the question is, who does Jerry turn to for next season?

Is it simply going to be Cora, or does he go for Torre?

I would prefer Torre. No guarantees we'll win s***, but after the volatile Oz, we probably need to go calmer and then after he retires at 70, we can go back to Oz, hopefully with a successful 10 years of Torre under our belts.

Problem is Jerry will really have to pay big bucks to get Torre. Huge bucks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)

I don't know if he's mouthing off and making bad managerial decisions because he wants to manage the Marlins. I would be willing to bet he would like the job, but he's been this way for quite a while.

How many managers leave a club and then return again years later? I can only think of Cito Gaston, but I would imagine there are others, however not many.

You make the point that many argue on this site about how Ozzie manages NL-type baseball in the AL. It hasn't exactly worked, and aside from 2005 (when just about everything went right), he hasn't done much to make me want him to stay.

I'm hoping for a new manager next year. If the new manager has a bad stretch, he may be bad-mouthed here on SoxTalk, but I wouldn't expect many to say they want Ozzie back.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)

I would prefer Torre. No guarantees we'll win s***, but after the volatile Oz, we probably need to go calmer and then after he retires at 70, we can go back to Oz, hopefully with a successful 10 years of Torre under our belts.

I can't imagine any scenario that brings Torre here.

Otherwise, how do many of us take Ozzie for granted?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
I can't imagine any scenario that brings Torre here.

Otherwise, how do many of us take Ozzie for granted?

I don't think you want me to list all the reasons I think people take Ozzie for granted. But I can list them all if people want.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
I don't think you want me to list all the reasons I think people take Ozzie for granted. But I can list them all if people want.

2005 - he did a good job there

Deflects the attention from the team onto himself - sure, but he goes overboard

I'm sure there are other managers and managerial candidates out there that we don't want anywhere near the Sox, and in those cases Ozzie is the better choice. But...

I would prefer Torre. No guarantees we'll win s***, but after the volatile Oz, we probably need to go calmer and then after he retires at 70, we can go back to Oz, hopefully with a successful 10 years of Torre under our belts.Problem is Jerry will really have to pay big bucks to get Torre. Huge bucks.

Torre just turned 70. He will not be managing for another 10 years.

Based on what exactly?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
If the New York Mets general manager job opens up, White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn will be asked to interview, according to numerous major league sources. The sources say the Mets are ready to buy out the $2.2 million remaining on current general manager Omar Minaya’s contract that runs through 2012.

EDIT: soruce espn.com

NO!

Rick is ours...he is ours precious.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 04:24 AM)
Based on one article 2 months ago???

And the fact it makes sense. It's obvious the Marlins will offer Ozzie.

Why wouldn't he take it?

Much more peaceful down there where nobody cares bout baseball. And he'll get his NL ball all he wants.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
And the fact it makes sense. It's obvious the Marlins will offer Ozzie.

Why wouldn't he take it?

Much more peaceful down there where nobody cares bout baseball. And he'll get his NL ball all he wants.

Why would the Marlins offer him a job? They are a notoriously cheap organization looking to save a buck in any manner they can. To hire Ozzie, they'd have to either get permission from the White Sox or, similar to what the Rays did with Lou Piniella, "trade" for Ozzie Guillen. Do you really think the White Sox would "trade" Ozzie Guillen to the Marlins?

What you are suggesting is absurd, and if Ozzie Guillen becomes the manager of the Marlins, it will be because he was fired. He can't just leave and go to the Marlins or he will be taken to court by the White Sox for breach of contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)
Why would the Marlins offer him a job? They are a notoriously cheap organization looking to save a buck in any manner they can. To hire Ozzie, they'd have to either get permission from the White Sox or, similar to what the Rays did with Lou Piniella, "trade" for Ozzie Guillen. Do you really think the White Sox would "trade" Ozzie Guillen to the Marlins?

What you are suggesting is absurd, and if Ozzie Guillen becomes the manager of the Marlins, it will be because he was fired. He can't just leave and go to the Marlins or he will be taken to court by the White Sox for breach of contract.

Maybe it's from reading Soxtalk so much but my feeling was the Sox would let him go cause he's so worthless.

I never even thought the Sox would want compensation. I figure after reading Soxtalk every day, they'd welcome somebody taking Ozzie off their hands and then they could get LaRussa or Torre.

As far as money, don't all managers make about the same amount of loot? They can afford Ozzie.

For anyone who was curious, the Triple Threat Prize Pack that you get for being the 670th texter from the pregame show consisted of the following for me.

A 1985 Donruss Ron Kittle card in a small plaque frame.

An autographed picture of Steve Trout with the Sox in an 11X14 frame

A Rawlings White Sox logo'd offical MLB baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Maybe it's from reading Soxtalk so much but my feeling was the Sox would let him go cause he's so worthless.

I never even thought the Sox would want compensation. I figure after reading Soxtalk every day, they'd welcome somebody taking Ozzie off their hands and then they could get LaRussa or Torre.

As far as money, don't all managers make about the same amount of loot? They can afford Ozzie.

Most managers don't make a lot of money, unless they're Torre or LaRussa. Ozzie made $1.1 mill in 2007, and I'm sure he's seen his yearly salary increase slightly each year, so he's probably making around $1.5 mill now a days from the Sox and would need a pay increase to go to Florida, which is simple economics (unless he values being close to Ozney more than money). Fredi Gonzalez, who was just fired this year, signed a 3 year deal for around $2 mill, which is under $700K per season. Do you really think the Marlins would want to almost triple the amount of money they are paying their manager? That's money they then can't spend on their first round pick, and they'd probably end up drafting a guy because he is signable.

And either way, just because Soxtalk doesn't like Ozzie doesn't mean the people in charge hate him. There was hearsay earlier this year that suggested that Williams wanted to fire Ozzie but had that decision vetoed by Reinsdorf. Reinsdorf likes Ozzie. He won't want him to go anywhere else.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
And either way, just because Soxtalk doesn't like Ozzie doesn't mean the people in charge hate him. There was hearsay earlier this year that suggested that Williams wanted to fire Ozzie but had that decision vetoed by Reinsdorf. Reinsdorf likes Ozzie. He won't want him to go anywhere else.

The one thing that might weigh on all of this talk is that this year seemed to be a much more trying year than usual for Ozzie and the organization because of matters outside of baseball. Between the Oney situation during ST and the plummeting of the other son during the draft (which The Club suggested caused a real problem but didn't elaborate on), some serious personal problems cropped up this year in a way that hasn't happened in previous years.

JR will probably vouch for Ozzie...but it could be that both KW and Ozzie could march into JR's office the day after the season ends and say "it's him or me".

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Most managers don't make a lot of money, unless they're Torre or LaRussa. Ozzie made $1.1 mill in 2007, and I'm sure he's seen his yearly salary increase slightly each year, so he's probably making around $1.5 mill now a days from the Sox and would need a pay increase to go to Florida, which is simple economics (unless he values being close to Ozney more than money). Fredi Gonzalez, who was just fired this year, signed a 3 year deal for around $2 mill, which is under $700K per season. Do you really think the Marlins would want to almost triple the amount of money they are paying their manager? That's money they then can't spend on their first round pick, and they'd probably end up drafting a guy because he is signable.

Fair enough soxfan.

I figure Florida actually would give Ozzie the same amount as he makes here. He'd be an important addition to the team considering his history down there.

Again, I get desensetized on here as to anybody with the Sox thinking Ozzie is worth anything. I figure they'd welcome him leaving on his own. I mean according to this board, he's pretty horses***.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
I figure they'd welcome him leaving on his own. I mean according to this board, he's pretty horses***.

Greg...part of the problem is that some people do hate Ozzie and would be thrilled if he left...but not everyone. However...almost everyone is going to wind up second-guessing the manager routinely over the course of 162 games. But...you can't take every single criticism of him personally to the point that every criticism of him is equivalent to saying "Fire this man now!".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
For anyone who was curious, the Triple Threat Prize Pack that you get for being the 670th texter from the pregame show consisted of the following for me.

A 1985 Donruss Ron Kittle card in a small plaque frame.

An autographed picture of Steve Trout with the Sox in an 11X14 frame

A Rawlings White Sox logo'd offical MLB baseball.

Bummer.

I have better prizes in my basement.

I can send you an autographed Bud Selig baseball! :headbang