Garcia vs. Pena for 2011 rotation

striker

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer in the rotation (assuming price is the same)?

• Tony Pena
    • Freddy Garcia

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 01:20 AM)
207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

that's why i said i would rather, rather than it will be likely.

would you want garcia or pena as your fifth starter, both guys who has shown poor peripherals this season, and will probably get you an ERA closer to 5.00, or a younger guy in Torres who has better chance to succeed than both of those guys going forward?

Torres has been in Triple A for 3 years now, and has performed very well the last 2 seasons, i think it would be fair to at least give him a shot in the big leagues.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)

would you want garcia or pena as your fifth starter, both guys who has shown poor peripherals this season, and will probably get you an ERA closer to 5.00, or a younger guy in Torres who has better chance to succeed than both of those guys going forward?

Torres has been in Triple A for 3 years now, and has performed very well the last 2 seasons, i think it would be fair to at least give him a shot in the big leagues.

The problem is it's not really the fifth starter, but the Swingman/Placeholder for Sale.

Also, Torres is possibly the ultimate AAAA player. He's fine down in AAA, but his stuff just won't translate to the majors, let alone the Cell.

Also, keep in mind he's 27, so he's only a year younger than Pena.

He could in the end carve himself a Carrascoesque niche for a team in the NL in the future.

If you want a guy to put up an ERA closer to 5.00, you might want Garcia or Peña. If you want a guy to put up an ERA over 5.00, you're gonna want Torres.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
I could see one of these options being exercised if the Sox decide to do a major overhaul and send out D1 or G in order to bring in a major bat somewhere.

agreed. i also think the Sox are going to stetch out Sale during the spring and insert him into the rotation to replace D1 or G. Pena or Garcia will be used as a Peavy insurance policy.

Carlos Torres' game simply does not translate to the MLB, and he really isn't starter quality material. The White Sox know this, which is why they've avoided using him in the rotation as best they can.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Carlos Torres' game simply does not translate to the MLB, and he really isn't starter quality material. The White Sox know this, which is why they've avoided using him in the rotation as best they can.

I can't figure out what the organization sees in Pena either?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
I can't figure out what the organization sees in Pena either?

That he atleast averages 94 with his fastball as opposed to the 87-90 MPH stuff Torres throws up there? And that they traded Brandon Allen for him instead of nobody and they want to atleast attempt to get a decent return on their investment, even if it's killed them up to this point?