2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
One of the worst quotes in this thread.

Which is why at times PER is a flawed stat that should not be the end all be all. Turnovers is actually killing his PER this year. Pretty ironic considering Rose has taken the next step in his stats this year, not to mention has had better court vision and awareness in that ideal third year in the league. I haven't caught as many games this year as I would like thanks to work, but the couple I havw watched I can't wait to see what this Rose can do with Booz in the line-up.

You know what? Right now, I'm not sure Boozer will make that huge of a difference. Might draw some more double teams, but Noah and Gibson really are rocking it down low. Gibson can't give you 20 PPG, but I'm not sure Boozer can right now either. Both of them are hitting shots every time they get open; Gibson's in the top of the league in FG %age.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
How far are the Bulls under the cap?

$1.4 million. Jackson makes about $8 million.

If the Bulls wanted to deal for Stephen Jackson before Dec. 15, they'd need to do Johnson + Rose or Johnson + Noah to get the contracts to match.

After that point they could deal some of the guys they signed this year, but none of them save Scalabrine and Kurt Thomas expire this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
So I wonder what Thibs was saying to Billups before the half when he was standing next to the Bulls bench?

"Don't f*** with me, or I will have them trade for Melo!"

And Billups would just die of chronic laughter after replying: "Weren't you guys in the running at one point for KG, Gasol, Kobe, LeBron, Wade and Bosh?" The day the Bulls acquire a superstar is the day Jerry Krause admits that organizations don't really win championships (at least in the NBA).

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
Can't believe I'd rather have Noah than carmelo...

Something I hate about the NBA is the stupid substitution patterns. Karl seemed to give that game away by having Carmelo on the bench until under 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Ronnie Brewer is -24 in his 13 minutes of game action

That stat is so flawed it's ridiculous. He actually played pretty well and he really should be starting at the 2. The thing is, Thibs has the entire 2nd line in together most of the time, so that's not a stat they are normally going to do well in.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
Something I hate about the NBA is the stupid substitution patterns. Karl seemed to give that game away by having Carmelo on the bench until under 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Every team does it. You have to keep guys fresh. If you watch the Lakers, Kobe sits at almost the same times every single game.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:51 AM)
Every team does it. You have to keep guys fresh. If you watch the Lakers, Kobe sits at almost the same times every single game.

And that's why I hate it, as it shows no feel for the game. Carmelo single-handedly gave the Nuggets the lead at the end of the 3rd quarter, and he never got that rhythm back. And it's also a little different when Kobe sits for the Lakers, as he still has an All-Star team on the court when he's out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
And that's why I hate it, as it shows no feel for the game. Carmelo single-handedly gave the Nuggets the lead at the end of the 3rd quarter, and he never got that rhythm back. And it's also a little different when Kobe sits for the Lakers, as he still has an All-Star team on the court when he's out.

Well you'd make a horrible NBA coach.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 04:45 AM)
Well you'd make a horrible NBA coach.

Yep, you're right, I said never rest the starters at all. I see nothing wrong with bringing in a player 2 minutes earlier than you had anticipated based on the flow of the game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
Yep, you're right, I said never rest the starters at all. I see nothing wrong with bringing in a player 2 minutes earlier than you had anticipated based on the flow of the game.

So do you think Karl was at fault for siting Melo to start the 4th or for giving him too much rest and not bringing him in earlier? Not much you can do if a player gets hot and then the quarter ends. And it's not like Anthony didn't play well when he did come back off the bench.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 05:50 AM)
So do you think Karl was at fault for siting Melo to start the 4th or for giving him too much rest and not bringing him in earlier? Not much you can do if a player gets hot and then the quarter ends.

Either play him the first 2 minutes of the 4th quarter to see if he can stretch the lead out (for those watching, he absolutely on fire) or bring him back at the 6 minute mark when you still have the lead. Instead, he kept him out and player after player tried to challenge Noah on the baseline.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
Either play him the first 2 minutes of the 4th quarter to see if he can stretch the lead out (for those watching, he absolutely on fire) or bring him back at the 6 minute mark when you still have the lead. Instead, he kept him out and player after player tried to challenge Noah on the baseline.

He ended up playing 38 minutes and Denver has a back-to-back with Indiana tomorrow and 3 games in 4 nights so I can understand it. Playing him to start the 4th would have defeated the purpose of giving him the extended rest between quarters. It's part of the game. Gotta keep guys fresh, especially early in the season.

BTW, Here's a piece from Hollinger's article yesterday about the year's FA signings.

Group VII: The least defensible move of the summer

Darko Milicic, Minnesota (PER o 4.54). Here’s one trend I’ve noticed more often lately: Bad franchises like to declare victory.

Whether it’s James Dolan extending Isiah Thomas because the Knicks had slid into the No. 8 seed for a day in March, Sacramento breaking out the party hats because Tyreke Evans hit some arbitrary statistical threshold or Memphis bequeathing $40 million to Mike Conley for a few good weeks, too often the league’s weakest franchises can’t contain themselves from overreacting to their rare snippets of good news.

Milicic is a perfect example. The Timberwolves pulled him off the scrap heap, and he played some pretty solid basketball at the end of last season. I’m not even kidding — he looked like a real NBA center, albeit more of a backup.

So instead of offering him a short-term contract and seeing if he can keep it up, what do the Wolves do? Declare victory. Commit to him for four years (yes, Darko has been so awful he breaks our five-year guideline), compare him to Vlade Divac and pronounce him as the Center of the Future. Never mind that he failed as the COF in Detroit, Orlando, Memphis and New York, and that his performance seems to be inversely proportional to the expectations put upon him. The Wolves were a 15-win organization that needed to pat itself on the back about something.

So what’s Milicic done so far this season? Basically, he’s been the league’s worst rotation player. Although Sunday night’s seven-point, three-rebound “outburst” kept his PER above zero, his defense has been as bad his offense, and only two players have played at least 100 minutes with a worse PER.

So, you win, Minnesota: the worst signing of 2010.

Yep Amir Johnson at 34M has actually been better value than Darko Milicic at 20M so far, but only just.

We moved to 5-1 last night with a win over our biatches in Atlanta. D12 showing off his improved range from outside 10FT as well.