2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
Impressive.

Also, when KG slapped the ball out of Noah's hands after the travel, I seriously thought Noah was going to deck him.

Then Garnett putting his hands in the air like he did nothing. What a biatch

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
What games are you watching?

They outplay a very good Portland team the whole game. They could of easily folded away in this game in the 3rd but didn't. Knicks will never shoot like last night again.

Refs didn't help Bulls at all tonight. Seemes like refs were making up calls or refs making calls that weren't in position to make.

The team defense is garbage. No rotation. Can't defend pick N roll and I would bet Thibs is teaching it. Guy not learning it.

I've got to agree with Fathom here. If you watched the Bulls and compared them to the Celtics last night...the first big difference is that the Bulls's bench is a disaster in the 2nd quarter and dominates the 4th for some reason I can't figure out.

The second big difference is that the Celtics just weren't making the kind of mistakes the bulls were making. 2 turnovers off of inbound plays with under 4 minutes to go? That was horrible and frankly they were just careless mistakes. Or the time after time that they failed to rotate on the pick and roll...usually Rose again but sometimes the other guard...that is just killing them. Better backcourt defensive positioning and the Bulls might have beaten both the Knicks and the C's.

The Bulls still look like a poorly coached team half the time. The big difference between now and last year is that they are now actually running better sets on both sides of the ball...the ball movement on offense is vastly better, and the frontcourt defense is vastly better (everyone Deng guards seems to shut down). There are still too many little mistakes though. If this team played like a veteran team...i.e. like the Celtics...they'd look like a team that could win 60.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
I've got to agree with Fathom here. If you watched the Bulls and compared them to the Celtics last night...the first big difference is that the Bulls's bench is a disaster in the 2nd quarter and dominates the 4th for some reason I can't figure out.

The second big difference is that the Celtics just weren't making the kind of mistakes the bulls were making. 2 turnovers off of inbound plays with under 4 minutes to go? That was horrible and frankly they were just careless mistakes. Or the time after time that they failed to rotate on the pick and roll...usually Rose again but sometimes the other guard...that is just killing them. Better backcourt defensive positioning and the Bulls might have beaten both the Knicks and the C's.

The Bulls still look like a poorly coached team half the time. The big difference between now and last year is that they are now actually running better sets on both sides of the ball...the ball movement on offense is vastly better, and the frontcourt defense is vastly better (everyone Deng guards seems to shut down). There are still too many little mistakes though. If this team played like a veteran team...i.e. like the Celtics...they'd look like a team that could win 60.

If you have a group of players that has barely played together vs. a group of players that are somewhat familiar with each other that is what it usually will look like. I'll give Thibideau the benefit of the doubt regarding his effectiveness for a while, for the players to learn his system and how to play with each other although it does appear he does a lot of standing on the sidelines looking like more of a spectator than a coach. I do know one thing, when Boozer comes back, either he or Rose have to be on the floor at all times or this team is going to lose ground.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Already seen about 4 different tweets saying "Let's call them the Big Two & Bosh"

I was wondering to start the year how "in shape and motivated" those guys would be, especially after Wade spent the whole preseason out. So far, the only one putting up anything close to normal levels of effectiveness is Wade.

I wonder if we aren't seeing the partying, quantified.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Which is exactly what happened against the Knicks the other night. Rose has been closer to Ben Gordon than an all-star this year.

if you go by "PER", Rose is quite a bit ahead of gordon and is right behind one "Lebron James" so far this season.

He absolutely needs to work on his defense. There's no question. But let's not go overboard here.

If nothing else, that appears to be the real issue to watch when we're evaluating Thibs. The frontcourt looks better all around, noah's 2nd in the league in rebounds, Gibson's in the top 5 in FG %age, Rose is in the top 5 in scoring and assists, but the backcourt defense is the weakness right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
if you go by "PER", Rose is quite a bit ahead of gordon and is right behind one "Lebron James" so far this season.

He absolutely needs to work on his defense. There's no question. But let's not go overboard here.

If nothing else, that appears to be the real issue to watch when we're evaluating Thibs. The frontcourt looks better all around, noah's 2nd in the league in rebounds, Gibson's in the top 5 in FG %age, Rose is in the top 5 in scoring and assists, but the backcourt defense is the weakness right now.

Yep that's the issue right now.

2 options I see, wait for Brewer to get healthy and have him start for Bogans. He's not a great 3 PT shooter, but he attacks the rim well and plays pretty good defense for a SG.

Or the Bulls can try and trade for an upgrade (hence why I suggested Pietrus yesterday, but he might be more of a 3 nowadays).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Yep that's the issue right now.

2 options I see, wait for Brewer to get healthy and have him start for Bogans. He's not a great 3 PT shooter, but he attacks the rim well and plays pretty good defense for a SG.

Or the Bulls can try and trade for an upgrade (hence why I suggested Pietrus yesterday, but he might be more of a 3 nowadays).

Bah, I don't know if either of those are 100% necessary.

really, the only solution for the Bulls in the backcourt is for Rose to learn better defensive positioning. He doesn't have to win DPOY here, but so many of those open 3's and open passes come because he turns his back and his man floats away, or because he gets blown up on the pick and roll...if he can just turn a chunk of those "Oh crap how did he get open!" 3's into contested shots, or deny the shooter the ball, then that covers it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)

really, the only solution for the Bulls in the backcourt is for Rose to learn better defensive positioning. He doesn't have to win DPOY here, but so many of those open 3's and open passes come because he turns his back and his man floats away, or because he gets blown up on the pick and roll...if he can just turn a chunk of those "Oh crap how did he get open!" 3's into contested shots, or deny the shooter the ball, then that covers it.

The Bulls are going to have to learn to play that one of two ways. Either Rose has to learn to slip the screen, or the other defender has to learn to jump the screen and stop the ballhandler. It's either that or keep giving up tons of open threes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
Rose has been closer to Ben Gordon than an all-star this year.

One of the worst quotes in this thread.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)

Which is why at times PER is a flawed stat that should not be the end all be all. Turnovers is actually killing his PER this year. Pretty ironic considering Rose has taken the next step in his stats this year, not to mention has had better court vision and awareness in that ideal third year in the league. I haven't caught as many games this year as I would like thanks to work, but the couple I havw watched I can't wait to see what this Rose can do with Booz in the line-up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)

Eventually though, the Bulls are going to have to upgrade at the 2, because teams may start double teaming Rose as they did with Wade pre Big 3, and they'll need whoever the SG is to knock down open perimeter looks and provide real solid defense, and I don't think Bogans is that man for sure, Brewer maybe over time.

And if there's a weak link on your team, come playoff time, other teams will exploit it (look at Matt Barnes in the series againsr Boston last playoffs for example).

But people need to stop having a go at Thibodeau as well. He's only been coaching for 5 games and people are already having a go at his team defense etc. without one of their top 2 players not playing.

At least give him half a season to really put his imprint on this team.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
Eventually go, the Bulls are going to have to upgrade at the 2, because teams may start double teaming Rose as they did with Wade pre Big 3, and they'll need whoever the SG is to knock down open perimeter looks and provide real solid defense, and I don't think Bogans is that man for sure, Brewer maybe over time.

And if there's a weak link on your team, come playoff time, other teams will exploit it (look at Matt Barnes in the series againsr Boston last playoffs for example).

But people need to stop having a go at Thibodeau as well. He's only been coaching for 5 games and people are already having a go at his team defense etc. without one of their top 2 players not playing.

At least give him half a season to really put his imprint on this team.

It is WAY to early to start blaming a coach for anything. There probably isn't a guy on that team who actually understands the schemes yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
It is WAY to early to start blaming a coach for anything. There probably isn't a guy on that team who actually understands the schemes yet.

Yep exactly, and the Bulls are probably around a .500 team without Boozer I would say talent wise.

And they're a notoriously slow starting team as well. I think you'll see the best of them post ASB for sure.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
Yep exactly, and the Bulls are probably around a .500 team without Boozer I would say talent wise.

And they're a notoriously slow starting team as well. I think you'll see the best of them post ASB for sure.

With as many new players, plus a new coach, a slow start is almost to be expected, let alone missing a guy like Boozer.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 02:54 AM)
According to yahoo rumor has it Bulls are sending Johnson to the Bobcats, cant think of who'd they get in return besides Henderson. Everyone else would either be 2 valuable or 2 crappy.

Stephen Jackson...?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
According to yahoo rumor has it Bulls are sending Johnson to the Bobcats, cant think of who'd they get in return besides Henderson. Everyone else would either be 2 valuable or 2 crappy.

What are we going to do without that wonderful hair? I was willing to give the guy a shot this year but he is back to doing exactly what annoyed me so much last year, he gets the ball and he just tries to shoot no matter what.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
What are we going to do without that wonderful hair? I was willing to give the guy a shot this year but he is back to doing exactly what annoyed me so much last year, he gets the ball and he just tries to shoot no matter what.

I dunno, I haven't seen him that much yet, but he supposedly was fairly effective passing when he got a bunch of minutes last week.