2010 NLCS: Giants vs. Phillies

Brian

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc wasn't his sharpest, but Charlie Manuel says he hurt his groin early in the game.

Btw, anyone notice what looked to be an entire section in the left field upper tank either covered by green tarp or empty? I have a hard time believing the place wasn't sold out, and have no idea why they wouldn't make the entire place available during the NLCS...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Well now that doesn't make much sense either, because Tim Lincecum has better career numbers than Felix Hernandez.

Whatever, I don't feel like starting a best pitcher in baseball discussion right now, but yeah I was trying to say not considering Lincecum elite is ridiculous cause there are very few that can match him. Personally, I think after this past season, Felix is #1 but we will see.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Btw, anyone notice what looked to be an entire section in the left field upper tank either covered by green tarp or empty? I have a hard time believing the place wasn't sold out, and have no idea why they wouldn't make the entire place available during the NLCS...

I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Guys I consider elite:

Cliff Lee

Doc Halladay

Felix Hernandez

CC Sabathia

Jon Lester

Out of that list, only three have won the Cy Young. Yet, Lincecum won two in a row. And he did that as recently as one year ago.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 01:43 AM)
Out of that list, only three have won the Cy Young. Yet, Lincecum won two in a row. And he did that as recently as one year ago.

And, regardless of whether or not anybody believes the Cy Young means anything (and considering Greinke's selection last year, it matters), Lincecum was still great this year (119 ERA+, Fip of 3.15, xFIP of 3.21), and it was not near the level of dominance he's shown the previous two seasons. He still led the league in strikeouts and gave up more homers than he was accustomed to as well.

Lincecum is easily one of the top pitchers in the league.

When determining the best players in the league, I ask myself "would I trade anyone on the White Sox roster for [fill in the blank]?" and the answer is "yes," I generally consider that player elite. This is, of course, a circumstantial question, and is obviously a subjective question, but I also consider it in the context of allowing myself to include others as well. Would I trade Gordon Beckham AND John Danks for Tim Lincecum? I think those are the two most valuable players on the White Sox right now - there are arguments to be made otherwise, but I think those two would be generally accepted.

So would I? Absolutely, in the blink of an eye.