Mike Quade Named Cubs Manager

chetkincaid

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I don't know. Ozzie can't be that dumb outside of baseball. For example, look how he handled Jenks mentally during the World Series. Ozzie sensed that his confidence may have taken a hit and tried to reassure him. He must have some sense of how to handle human emotion.

My dog can tell when I am happy, angry, or sad, and he knows what to do in each scenario. I don't think the ability to handle another's emotions has anything to do with intelligence. Ozzie does it well, otherwise he wouldn't be a manager, but I'm not going to him for psychiatric advice.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
I don't know. Ozzie can't be that dumb outside of baseball. For example, look how he handled Jenks mentally during the World Series. Ozzie sensed that his confidence may have taken a hit and tried to reassure him. He must have some sense of how to handle human emotion.

You just said "Ozzie can't be that dumb outside of baseball", and then cited "For example, look how he handled Jenks mentally during the World Series" as your reason. LOL, that is an "in-baseball" example

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
You just said "Ozzie can't be that dumb outside of baseball", and then cited "For example, look how he handled Jenks mentally during the World Series" as your reason. LOL, that is an "in-baseball" example

I think that you're right to an extent, but I was refering to the X's & O's of baseball. Handling someone's mentalality and emotions requires a little bit of intelligence, beyond baseball, IMHO. Yes, a dog may be able to discern when your happy or sad, but probably wouldn't know what to do about it.

I don't know Ozzie, he just doesn't appear to be all that dumb to me.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
I think that you're right to an extent, but I was refering to the X's & O's of baseball. Handling someone's mentalality and emotions requires a little bit of intelligence, beyond baseball, IMHO. Yes, a dog may be able to discern when your happy or sad, but probably wouldn't know what to do about it.

I don't know Ozzie, he just doesn't appear to be all that dumb to me.

My dog runs around and is generally excited when I am happy. My dog whimpers and comes to console me when I am sad. My dog goes to his kennel when I am angry. They know exactly what to do about it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
My dog runs around and is generally excited when I am happy. My dog whimpers and comes to console me when I am sad. My dog goes to his kennel when I am angry. They know exactly what to do about it.

That seems to me more like the dog is reacting to you, rather than being proactive and actually doing something about it.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
The SCORE was talking about the cub needing to trim another $10M before next year. The Dunn and Cliff Lee talks are nonsense. Going to be a long couple of years up there.

They literally cannot add much salary if any at all for next year. They already have 100+ million committed to their roster.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
They literally cannot add much salary if any at all for next year. They already have 100+ million committed to their roster.

They definitely won't get either one. At most they'll get back Kerry Wood. As I said before, Ricketts is not going to pour all his resources into the team. The days of spending are over for that ballclub. That's why they should fire Jim Hendry who has no idea on how to build with the draft or making deals.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
They definitely won't get either one. At most they'll get back Kerry Wood. As I said before, Ricketts is not going to pour all his resources into the team. The days of spending are over for that ballclub. That's why they should fire Jim Hendry who has no idea on how to build with the draft or making deals.

He really isnt that good at anything. They had one of the highest payrolls in baseball the last several years and have nothing to show for it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
He really isnt that good at anything. They had one of the highest payrolls in baseball the last several years and have nothing to show for it.

You ought to know better than this Rock. Jim Hendry did exactly what he was supposed to do and they have everything to show for it. Jim Hendry's job was to maximize revenue coming in so that the team was sell-able at a good price, and the ownership didn't care one bit whether he had to mortgage the future or hamstring the next ownership with a few bad contracts to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
You ought to know better than this Rock. Jim Hendry did exactly what he was supposed to do and they have everything to show for it. Jim Hendry's job was to maximize revenue coming in so that the team was sell-able at a good price, and the ownership didn't care one bit whether he had to mortgage the future or hamstring the next ownership with a few bad contracts to do so.

HAHA. Touche.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
HAHA. Touche.

If Jim Hendry is fired, he ought to be fired not because of what he did pre-team selling, it should be because of what he does after the team was sold. They won a couple division titles, sold out the park nearly every game, established methods of increasing revenue to high-demand games like the ticket brokers, etc. Now, his job is to rebuild and clear salary while still trying to put together a winner, a harder task. However, his team got on a roll at the end of last year, they have an interesting manager, and they appeared to flash some serious young talent last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
If Jim Hendry is fired, he ought to be fired not because of what he did pre-team selling, it should be because of what he does after the team was sold. They won a couple division titles, sold out the park nearly every game, established methods of increasing revenue to high-demand games like the ticket brokers, etc. Now, his job is to rebuild and clear salary while still trying to put together a winner, a harder task. However, his team got on a roll at the end of last year, they have an interesting manager, and they appeared to flash some serious young talent last year.

Cubs are probably 2-3 years away from being a real contender again. However Bruce Levine just reported that they're preparing to make a serious push for Adrian Gonzalez. That's a move that would speed things up.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Cubs are probably 2-3 years away from being a real contender again. However Bruce Levine just reported that they're preparing to make a serious push for Adrian Gonzalez. That's a move that would speed things up.

They are also preparing to sign Adam Dunn and any number of other moves. They don't have the resources to do it. There are very few players the Cubs fan trade to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez that make any sense for the Cubs in the long run. Bruce Levine is not reputable at all.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)

Unless they can find somewhere to dump Zambrano or Soriano, I don't see them having the money to do it.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)

I wonder if Castro + Cashner would be enough to get that done. I bet Castro + Cashner + Colvin probably would.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I wonder if Castro + Cashner would be enough to get that done. I bet Castro + Cashner + Colvin probably would.

Leaving the Cubs with A-Gon and a whole lot of nothing else for their future, a guy they may not even be able to re-sign, and does nothing to address their pitching issues.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
I just can't see Boston getting outbid for AGon. Cubs have the high-end prospects to get it done, but then it would kill their payroll as well as chances of having cheap talent. Dunn is a more likely target, especially since he wants to play there.

And I can't see them adding the kind of payroll it would take to get him. Then again, I've been wrong before.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
Bruce Levine should be on the cubs payroll for all of the pr bs he spews.

The cub will tell us that Casey Coleman and Cashner will get it done when in reality Marmol and Castro would be the starting point.

Why would the Padres want Marmol? They have Heath Bell as their closer, and Marmol is only 1 year behind the Bell Curve in terms of getting to FA.

They'd want bats first.