2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
He was super-close to getting him, until Detroit swooped in at the last minute with the offer the Sox couldn't top.

I thought either John Danks or Floyd was part of the package offered to get Cabrera..........not sure if we would deem that worth it or not, but after the season that Cabrera had this year.......plus you would have had to take Dontrelle Willis and that monster contract.....

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
I thought either John Danks or Floyd was part of the package offered to get Cabrera..........not sure if we would deem that worth it or not, but after the season that Cabrera had this year.......plus you would have had to take Dontrelle Willis and that monster contract.....

I think it was De Los Santos or Gio.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)

Willis contract wasn't that bad was it? Didn't Detroit extend him for some stupid reason afterward?

Maybe that is where K. W. learned how to make bad players happy after acquiring them....cough, cough, Teahen,

Dontrelle wasn't given that contract until he landed in Detroit, they were under no obligation to extend him, they CHOSE to give him that ridiculous contract, the Marlins are not the ones that shelled out the $29M. The Marlins insisted on Dontrelle being included in the trade to slightly increase the value they would receive in the deal, not to dump a contract: Dontrelle was arbitration eligible going into the 2008 season, if the Marlins didn't want to pay him the ~$7M he was due in arb they could have just non-tendered him but including him in the Cabrera trade and possibly receive an extra player or 2 in the deal was a much better option -- keep in mind there were 4 other players included in the trade aside from Miller and Maybin -- they had all the bargaining power in trade talks seeing as how they were dangling one of the most talented players in the game and they took advantage of it.

Dontrelle Willis being included in the trade was a bad thing because of both monetary and personnel concerns: personnel because you're giving up a little extra to include him in the deal and monetary because you were going to have to pay him to keep him around rather than non-tendering him since you just gave up an extra player or two to acquire him since that was the only way to land Miggy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Damnit, I really think that package for Maybin is something we could have easily topped. The prize player in the Marlins return was San Diego's 24th best prospect? Jeeeez.

He was ranked that before he turned in a pretty damn good season for the Padres in their bullpen. The Marlins were looking for bullpen help and got some decent arms in return for Maybin.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
This time around, I don't think he did. He easily could've topped that.

He couldn't. It is really well documented that Detroits offer couldn't be topped by the White Sox. The Sox had the top offer in, and Detroit blew it away. Google it if you don't believe me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
He couldn't. It is really well documented that Detroits offer couldn't be topped by the White Sox. The Sox had the top offer in, and Detroit blew it away. Google it if you don't believe me.

Im pretty sure he's talking about getting Maybin right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)

The Sox IIRC offered Fields, Danks, Gio, and Sweeney. It was weaker at the time, but in hindsight that offer absolutely obliterates anything the Tigers offered.

I was kind of hoping the Sox would have made a run at Maybin, but if the price was decent pen arms then I'm glad he didn't. Maybin here would have had to earn a starting job, and even with Bobby and Putz being FA this year, the bullpen is still a huge strength for us and I wouldn't want to see that depth depleted for a project who likely would have been a 4th OF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
Wow, I didn't even realize Miller had been traded. Yeah, safe to say the Cabrera haul goes down as an epic fail.

Not really. You can't judge in hindsight.

The Sox offer was probably the safer offer but the Tigers offer was seen as the upside offer. Had Maybin become another Beltran then it wouldn't have mattered what anyone else in the package did - although Miller (even though I never liked him) was seen as a potential ace and they even had a potential closer in Eulogio De La Cruz.

The reality is you almost never trade a player like Miguel Cabrera and end up liking the deal in the long run.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
The Sox IIRC offered Fields, Danks, Gio, and Sweeney. It was weaker at the time, but in hindsight that offer absolutely obliterates anything the Tigers offered.

Do you have a source for this? Im not really doubting that this was offered, I just never saw this detailed of a player list.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)

I was kind of hoping the Sox would have made a run at Maybin, but if the price was decent pen arms then I'm glad he didn't. Maybin here would have had to earn a starting job, and even with Bobby and Putz being FA this year, the bullpen is still a huge strength for us and I wouldn't want to see that depth depleted for a project who likely would have been a 4th OF.

Next thing we know, Stanton will fizz out and Ozzie will be the best manager of all time.

Hindsight sucks for the Marlins.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
I am about 95% positive it has been discussed in detail on this very site.

Huh, I had always heard Fields and Danks, but I didn't think they were in the same package. Oh well, probably just forgot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
I don't remember Danks being in the deal. I remember it being Gio, Fields, De Los Santos, and Lance Broadway.

Yeah...the reason the Sox didn't get that done is that they wouldn't give up Danks and the Marlins weren't interested in Floyd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
I don't remember Danks being in the deal. I remember it being Gio, Fields, De Los Santos, and Lance Broadway.

I never even heard of that one.

Just typed it into google and there's this:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content..._on_cabrer.html

It’s not clear who the Marlins would get in return, but signs point to third baseman Josh Fields, who turns 25 on Dec. 14. Fields hit 23 homers and had 67 RBI while batting .244. Florida also could get pitcher Geo Gonzalez and either right-hander John Danks or Gavin Floyd.

I forget where I saw it but the final offer was Fields, Gio, Danks, and Sweeney. But this was just Cabrera, no Dontrelle at all.