Buehrle wins 2010 P Gold Glove

Real

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
11/9/10: The date the GG award officially died for me.

This award needs to be motherf***ing abolished ASAP. It's become beyond despicable.

Less this, more this...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Once Palmeiro won it in 1999 with 28 games played at 1B, I pretty much stopped caring about which undeserving players won it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Less this, more this...

1999 was indeed pathetic. But you would figure in this day in age of advanced defensive metrics that s*** like this still wouldn't be happening. These old, crusty baseball farts refuse to recognize the game has evolved. I can't wait until Sabathia gets the CY over Felix.

-13 defensive runs saved, .778 RZR (that's not good) and a UZR of -4.7.

I can't wait until fangraphs and other legitimate writers (Passan) say their piece on this fiasco.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
1999 was indeed pathetic. But you would figure in this day in age of advanced defensive metrics that s*** like this still wouldn't be happening. These old, crusty baseball farts refuse to recognize the game has evolved. I can't wait until Sabathia gets the CY over Felix.

Who would have won based on advanced stats?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Who would have won based on advanced stats?

Green? Um, Ramirez. I would've been fine with Cliff Pennington. Jeter? Again? No. Unacceptable. U don't even need advanced stats to see Jeter is below average. The Yankees are on f***ing TV 4389432743274341 times a year. How do these fools not see this?

A saving grace is that Yankee fans don't ride the short bus: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/1...ld-Glove-Awards

Edited by Jordan4life

1. MB deserved it, even though he would have won it if he didn't. He is basically guaranteed the GG for the next few years based on the Buehrle meter play and winning it 2 times in a row.

2. They should base certain awards like this one on pure defensive statistics. Its not perfect, but its better than letting these idiots vote completely wrong year after year.

The worst part about this is that Jeter didn't even earn it with his bat this year. Hopefully Jeter embarasses himself offensively next year and is forced to retire, because this is an absolute joke.

What I would suggest everyone here does is to email one writer who votes for these awards probably once a week or until they respond, and ask them why they voted for Jeter and didn't vote for anyone else, because quite frankly this is hogwash.

I still think the advanced defensive metrics, while way better than what we had before, have their weaknesses. I think certain positions, particularly C, 1B and P, they just don't work as well as they do for the other positions. Not enough balancing of factors. Also, the variation in some players from year to year seems, at times, to swing too widely to reflect reality.

Still, a guy with the numbers Jeter put up as noted above, clearly, should not a GG winner.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
A saving grace is that Yankee fans don't ride the short bus: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/1...ld-Glove-Awards

Thanks for posting that, good stuff. My favorite:

If Jeter is getting votes, it makes me wonder how Tex beat out Rafael Palmeiro

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)

If Jeter is getting votes, it makes me wonder how Tex beat out Rafael Palmeiro.

:lol:

edit: doh someone already posted that. Better comment:

No disrespect to DJ, but Chicago White Sox SS Alexei Ramirez, despite having 20 errors and a .974 fielding percentage, should've gotten it. Alexei Ramirez's RF is 4.89, UZR is +10.8 and a UZR/150 is 10.1.
Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Green? Um, Ramirez. I would've been fine with Cliff Pennington. Jeter? Again? No. Unacceptable. U don't even need advanced stats to see Jeter is below average. The Yankees are on f***ing TV 4389432743274341 times a year. How do these fools not see this?

Hold your horses on that part:

# CountryClub November 9th, 2010 at 4:15 pm

RiverAveBlues RT @iracane: There are not enough Gold Gloves in the world to make up for the egregious fact that Jeter has never won an MVP award

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/11/09/jete...-glove-winners/