White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

A Yankees fan from another forum brought up a possible deal for Edwin Jackson.

Sox would get: David Robertson, Manny Banuelos, PTBNL

That's one pretty good pitching prospect, a good bullpen arm, and $8.75 million of salary relief.

Might not make a whole ton of sense for our rotation, but in terms of the entire team, it might not be the worst thing.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)

That's one pretty good pitching prospect, a good bullpen arm, and $8.75 million of salary relief.

Might not make a whole ton of sense for our rotation, but in terms of the entire team, it might not be the worst thing.

If Peavy weren't such a giant ? I'd be all for this.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)

I really am not familiar with these prospects at all, but Yankee prospects do tend to be more overhyped than most. This deal strikes me as maybe a fair deal, I don't know, but in this case we should not settle for a fair deal. The Yankees are the team that is in need here, more so than the Sox. If we are going to help another team out of a fairly deperate situation, especially a team that could wind up being a playoff opponent, then we should be in the drivers seat and make them overpay for a need.

Balta may be right, they may not be too desperate until the season starts and they see what they have. In the A.L. East however, they could very easily lose the playoffs with a bad April. I think that they know that and would rather strike sooner than later. JMHO

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
I really am not familiar with these prospects at all, but Yankee prospects do tend to be more overhyped than most. This deal strikes me as maybe a fair deal, I don't know, but in this case we should not settle for a fair deal. The Yankees are the team that is in need here, more so than the Sox. If we are going to help another team out of a fairly deperate situation, especially a team that could wind up being a playoff opponent, then we should be in the drivers seat and make them overpay for a need.

Balta may be right, they may not be too desperate until the season starts and they see what they have. In the A.L. East however, they could very easily lose the playoffs with a bad April. I think that they know that and would rather strike sooner than later. JMHO

Cashman seems pretty content on letting the season play out and see where they're at in July. I don't expect a move by them to be honest.

It's hard for me to get excited about a 5'10 pitcher, but if he can bring it, he can bring it, and considering he found some success last year in AA as a 19 year old, there is something there.

Still, I don't think the Sox can make a move like that at this point in time. The need for a reliever, no matter how good, isn't pressing when the Sox already have 5 arms in the bullpen under contract along with Infante as a possibility to make the bullpen, as well as several others. The need for starting pitchers is still far more urgent, especially with Peavy's status still a question mark.

If the Sox are going to trade a starting pitcher this year, it's going to have to upgrade another significant aspect of the team, and I don't think that's in the form of a reliever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Cashman seems pretty content on letting the season play out and see where they're at in July. I don't expect a move by them to be honest.

That's cool too. Unless K.W. needs to dump salary, and his statements indicate that he doesn't. then he doesn't have to make a deal.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)

The big issue right now is that if we did a trade like that...it's really hard to find something useful on which to spend the $9 million for this year, because the market's already mostly wrapped up.

I'd like to see an extension offered to Jackson. He has electric stuff, good mechanics, has proven to be durable, and will be entering his prime. Under Cooper, Jackson is probably a 3-4 win pitcher annually. We could get significant surplus value out of him if he would be open to inking a 3-year extension.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
I'd like to see an extension offered to Jackson. He has electric stuff, good mechanics, has proven to be durable, and will be entering his prime. Under Cooper, Jackson is probably a 3-4 win pitcher annually. We could get significant surplus value out of him if he would be open to inking a 3-year extension.

Jackson's agent is Scott Boras. That should tell you all you need to know about the likelihood of a 3 year extension.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

Well, that's just terrible.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Compared to chw42? I don't think so. I once asked him for his phone number and he said wOBA .815-456 and gave me a Win Probability added of 1.43 of guessing the other 4 numbers.

What a tease.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
No, he said 3-4 win pitcher, not 3-4 wins pitcher. There is a difference, and in that context, it's to be understood that he means WAR.

One can truly tell at this point that the offseason has gotten boring again. We're really arguing this?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Compared to chw42? I don't think so. I once asked him for his phone number and he said wOBA .815-456 and gave me a Win Probability added of 1.43 of guessing the other 4 numbers.

I love playing hard to get, you're not the only one. :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
One can truly tell at this point that the offseason has gotten boring again. We're really arguing this?

It's a pretty critical point of debate. That lack of an additional 's' really means a lot.

Yeah, I'm bored. I want baseball to start.

Danks for Nova, Romine, Joba, and Betances was a trade someone mentioned over at nyyfans.com, and i was wondering what you guys thought of the trade. It looks pretty solid to me, esp. if they kick in more for joba or even better Floyd gets all that. Nova I think is gonna be a stud in this league, solid numbers in AAA (12-3 2.86 era) and then he only really got roughed up twice in in 7 starts in the bigs. Hed fit into the rotation nicely. Romine is a really good catching prospect and with everyone down on tyler flowers and aj getting up there in age, i think 2 years from now romine will be able to step up and be our starter if tyler doesnt step up first. Joba could very well be our closer this year. Betances put up an 8-1 record with a 1.77 era in AA last year.

Would Floyd or Jackson get that??? Are they not giving us enough??? Would Danks get us montero??? Does The trade make sense seeing as were going all in and trading a starter for a lesser starter, 2 prospects, and a RH reliever??....If the sox are convinced joba can and will be the closer that makes it a lil more interesting.

When Healthy

Peavy

Buehrle

Jackson

Danks

Nova

Pena RH

SantosRH

CrainRH

Sale LH

ThorntonLH

JobaRH

you save money to where you can sign a Brian Fuentes

I then make a huge trade involving CQ, Santos, Dayan for an OF bat..i think Infant can give you the same kind of stuff sergio did, dayan has no spot on the team, and CQ is a horrible Rfer...i think that package could get us maybe a bj upton or somethin big like that and call it an offseason

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Danks for Nova, Romine, Joba, and Betances was a trade someone mentioned over at nyyfans.com, and i was wondering what you guys thought of the trade. It looks pretty solid to me, esp. if they kick in more for joba or even better Floyd gets all that. Nova I think is gonna be a stud in this league, solid numbers in AAA (12-3 2.86 era) and then he only really got roughed up twice in in 7 starts in the bigs. Hed fit into the rotation nicely. Romine is a really good catching prospect and with everyone down on tyler flowers and aj getting up there in age, i think 2 years from now romine will be able to step up and be our starter if tyler doesnt step up first. Joba could very well be our closer this year. Betances put up an 8-1 record with a 1.77 era in AA last year.

Would Floyd or Jackson get that??? Are they not giving us enough??? Would Danks get us montero??? Does The trade make sense seeing as were going all in and trading a starter for a lesser starter, 2 prospects, and a RH reliever??....If the sox are convinced joba can and will be the closer that makes it a lil more interesting.

When Healthy

Peavy

Buehrle

Jackson

Danks

Nova

Pena RH

SantosRH

CrainRH

Sale LH

ThorntonLH

JobaRH

you save money to where you can sign a Brian Fuentes

I then make a huge trade involving CQ, Santos, Dayan for an OF bat..i think Infant can give you the same kind of stuff sergio did, dayan has no spot on the team, and CQ is a horrible Rfer...i think that package could get us maybe a bj upton or somethin big like that and call it an offseason

I would do that trade in a HEARTBEAT.