Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
If Konerko does indeed re-sign. Over/Under 120 hrs for our 3-6?

I'll take the over. It could feasibly be like this:

Rios - 25

Dunn - 40

Konerko - 35

Quentin - 30

We'll have to see how PK is. 35 might be a bit high. And who knows about Quentin...depends on which Quentin shows up next year. But, I would think 120+ is a safe bet.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
I'll take the over. It could feasibly be like this:

Rios - 25

Dunn - 40

Konerko - 35 D. Lee - 30 (plus gold glove defense at a cheaper rate)

Quentin - 30

We'll have to see how PK is. 35 might be a bit high. And who knows about Quentin...depends on which Quentin shows up next year. But, I would think 120+ is a safe bet.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Paulie has every right to make a power play here, it doesn't mean we have play it with him. I say we set a price, a deadline, and bide our time.

He certainly does have that right. But, one scenario could be that the Sox sign someone else (Lee) and PK ends up having to sign elsewhere (DBacks, Rangers) for what the Sox would have paid him anyway.

t would be tough for the White Sox to pay Konerko less than Dunn's average contract figure of $14 million per year. Konerko doesn't seem to have too many other teams out there right now. But regardless they have to be respectful to one of their best players of the past 50 years. from bruce Levine

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
If not he'll be forced to take his price down. Supply and demand folks.

True. But he might take his price down too late to be in a Sox jersey next year. Which might be okay for both parties.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

I'd say to no to Paul for $15 million. As much as I like Konerko, he is coming off a great year and he his getting older. I expect him to start to decline. I have never been in the clubhouse, but I also wonder if his habit of being hard on himself makes the rest of the team tight when there is a slump or losing streak. D. Lee for half as much is sounding better to me. If Konerko comes back, I'll be one of the out of tune dudes chanting Paully Paully! But for $15 per, the team may be more successful going a different direction.

Did that $15 mil rumor come from Crowley? If so, Paully is probably already signed for $12 mil.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
I'd say to no to Paul for $15 million. As much as I like Konerko, he is coming off a great year and he his getting older. I expect him to start to decline. I have never been in the clubhouse, but I also wonder if his habit of being hard on himself makes the rest of the team tight when there is a slump or losing streak. D. Lee for half as much is sounding better to me. If Konerko comes back, I'll be one of the out of tune dudes chanting Paully Paully! But for $15 per, the team may be more successful going a different direction.

Did that $15 mil rumor come from Crowley? If so, Paully is probably already signed for $12 mil.

lol That's a good point.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Paulie has every right to make a power play here, it doesn't mean we have play it with him. I say we set a price, a deadline, and bide our time.

Well we don't have unlimited time. The plan Bs of the world are not going to wait until later to find work. You can't be left holding the Kotsay bag. You give him a timeframe.