Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Pale Sox

Red Sox To Sign Bobby Jenks

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 16 at 1:47pm CST]

The Red Sox have agreed to a two-year, $12MM deal with Bobby Jenks, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter). Jon Heyman of SI.com first reported (on Twitter) that the sides were closing in on a deal.

The White Sox non-tendered the reliever earlier in the month after a season in which Jenks posted a career-high 4.44 ERA with otherwise strong numbers. His 58.3% ground ball rate placed him tenth among relievers with at least 50 innings of work and he posted 10.4 K/9 with 3.1 BB/9 in 52 2/3 innings. He picked up 27 saves, his lowest total since becoming the team's full-time closer in 2006.

Heyman reported earlier this afternoon that the Red Sox are open to trading Jonathan Papelbon, though his trade value is low, since he's likely to earn $11MM or so through arbitration (Twitter link).

MLBTR

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Especially with the Green Monster in LF. This is still a good spot for him though, he has a great shot of winning a title.

I believe the last time an Ex- White Sox closer went there, they did win the World Series for the first time in 80 some years.

Good Luck Bobby (except against us)!!!!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
I believe the last time an Ex- White Sox closer went there, they did win the World Series for the first time in 80 some years.

Good Luck Bobby (except against us)!!!!

Please refresh my memory?

And I do wish Bobby well when it doesn't have an effect on our Sox. Thanks for the great memories! Ozzie's call for him in the Series will live forever!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't see this going well for Jenks. The media will tear him apart if he's anything but very good. The fans and writers will rip him relentlessly for his weight and work ethic.

If you're one of those people who thought we treated him unfairly in Chicago, get ready for something special.

Someone send Greg a link to the Bosox equivalent to Soxtalk. He'll go insane when he reads everyone trashing Jenks after a blown save.