Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm having a kind of f***ed up morning. My wife wakes me up early this morning talking about she can't find her car, it was either towed or stolen. This is a big f***ing deal, right? Right.

So before calling the cops we go trying to find the number to the towing place for our townhome complex, she calls them and they take forever getting back but they eventually say that yes, they have her car, because it was illegally parked (she had moved her car from the normal place last night). They tell her it's going to be $275 and she is all hysterical and crying, cursing them on the phone about how she doesn't have that money and swore she was parked in the right spot. She has me all wound up ready to fight and s***, thinking my HOA (which I already hate) was letting the towing company gouge us for minor or non-existent parking infractions. Had me thinking about lawyers and s***. I tell her I have the money to get her car - what choice do we have? - but that she needs to ask if they have pictures as proof. They say they do.

So I take her there to get her car, we pay. I ask to see the pictures and she is all over the yellow curb, like seriously NOT EVEN CLOSE, basically 100% in the yellow. It's not like she didn't know not to park there either, we've lived here 4 years. The curb is yellow because it's on a corner. In other words, a crisis that was completely, indisputably, totally, unequivocally her fault, but she tried to blame everybody for it but herself, and I'm the one who's accountable for it. Ugh! So f***ing pissed right now!

I'm going to have my tv on all day. It's kickoff day.

I understand how others want to honor their memories or their friends. I don't begrudge anyone their style of grief or memory.

I can live without State Farm sponsoring ads telling me how important I should think things are. Or how I need to male sure I remember in a certain, appropriate way.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
So I'm having a kind of f***ed up morning. My wife wakes me up early this morning talking about she can't find her car, it was either towed or stolen. This is a big f***ing deal, right? Right.

So before calling the cops we go trying to find the number to the towing place for our townhome complex, she calls them and they take forever getting back but they eventually say that yes, they have her car, because it was illegally parked (she had moved her car from the normal place last night). They tell her it's going to be $275 and she is all hysterical and crying, cursing them on the phone about how she doesn't have that money and swore she was parked in the right spot. She has me all wound up ready to fight and s***, thinking my HOA (which I already hate) was letting the towing company gouge us for minor or non-existent parking infractions. Had me thinking about lawyers and s***. I tell her I have the money to get her car - what choice do we have? - but that she needs to ask if they have pictures as proof. They say they do.

So I take her there to get her car, we pay. I ask to see the pictures and she is all over the yellow curb, like seriously NOT EVEN CLOSE, basically 100% in the yellow. It's not like she didn't know not to park there either, we've lived here 4 years. The curb is yellow because it's on a corner. In other words, a crisis that was completely, indisputably, totally, unequivocally her fault, but she tried to blame everybody for it but herself, and I'm the one who's accountable for it. Ugh! So f***ing pissed right now!

I remember back to my mid-twenties-- when I used to BE this woman. Reading this makes me think about how aggravating it must have been to my boyfriends. My apologies, Sir, on your wife's behalf.

Hope you're having a better night. :)

Edited by SouthSideTeacher

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)

Another towing company that drags cars over a few feet so they can make a buck. Putting this on the scale with the s*** you've done, go thank her for the opportunity to in a small way balance the scale.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
To those of you not turning on your TVs tomorrow, might I ask why?

Football. And that's the ONLY reason. And when I'm all footballed out; tv goin' off. I don't need to be bombarded with 9-11 overkill just because of the mythical 10-year anniversary. I don't want to hear about conspiracy #1373262423. No more "how has America changed since then?" It hasn't changed at all (well, other than tighter, and in some cases ridiculous, airport security protocol). I don't care what celebrities think. I don't care that bomb-sniffing dogs have been named after victims. It just goes on and on.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 05:01 AM)
Football. And that's the ONLY reason. And when I'm all footballed out; tv goin' off. I don't need to be bombarded with 9-11 overkill just because of the mythical 10-year anniversary. I don't want to hear about conspiracy #1373262423. No more "how has America changed since then?" It hasn't changed at all (well, other than tighter, and in some cases ridiculous, airport security protocol). I don't care what celebrities think. I don't care that bomb-sniffing dogs have been named after victims. It just goes on and on.

It's not mythical... you must have meant another word.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 05:01 AM)

Understandable.

Mythical? No it actually did happen and this actually is the 10th Anniversary, unlike the moon landing and Elvis' death, I don't believe the government faked this one.

You may have meant monumental, epic, or similar.

btw, two words that people seem to confuse are historic and historical. Events are historic when they are noteworthy, important, etc. Items that have to do with history are historical. As an example, the events of 9/11 are historic, the films and documentaries are historical.

Wow, yeah, totally misused the word. I know what I mean. The word eludes me right now. We remember 9/11 every year. Are we supposed to remember it on a more profound level because it's the ten-year anniversary? Do we mourn it less next year because the 11-year anniversary doesn't sound as sexy as the 10-year anniversary?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
Wow, yeah, totally misused the word. I know what I mean. The word alludes me right now. We remember 9/11 every year. Are we supposed to remember it on a more profound level because it's the ten-year anniversary? Do we mourn it less next year because the 11-year anniversary doesn't sound as sexy as the 10-year anniversary?

Yes. Human nature. We find order in chaos. Humans group things. It is one of the things that separates us from other primates. Interesting if you really think about it.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
To those of you not turning on your TVs tomorrow, might I ask why?

For me it's simple. I dont need the over saturation of news coverage. I've been avoiding it all week. Thankfully there hasnt been anything on HGTV or the Food Network. Those have been my sanctuary of peace.

I certainly will never forget that day, and I respect and remember those who died innocently, or in service to this country.

But I dont need wall to wall coverage of all things 9/11 and every angle about it. I was alive. I remember it well. I dont need, as Jordan4life said, "conspiracy #1373262423... how has America changed since then?...bomb-sniffing dogs" and of course this reach of an article from CNN: "Office plant found at ground zero a symbol of rebirth"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
Wow, yeah, totally misused the word. I know what I mean. The word alludes me right now. We remember 9/11 every year. Are we supposed to remember it on a more profound level because it's the ten-year anniversary? Do we mourn it less next year because the 11-year anniversary doesn't sound as sexy as the 10-year anniversary?

I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking something similar. mythical is the wrong word, but I totally get your point.

As humans, we tend to raise certain year milestones over those of others. A 25th wedding anniversary is more important that 24 or 26. The "importance" of 10 years is nothing more than a nice round number.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking something similar. mythical is the wrong word, but I totally get your point.

As humans, we tend to raise certain year milestones over those of others. A 25th wedding anniversary is more important that 24 or 26. The "importance" of 10 years is nothing more than a nice round number.

Round numbers build perspective. When someone mentioned that this year is the 10 year anniversary, I thought, "damn, it's been a decade? It still feels so recent." We shouldn't remember any differently, but we do, because of that perspective.

Should we treat each year the same? I don't think we could. The choices then would either be to offer this full onslaught every year, or continue to have smaller remembrances. At this point should we have a full feature remembrance of Pearl Harbor every year? Or mark the "round number" anniversaries? Or has too much time elapsed and Pearl Harbor just isn't important anymore? We are coming up on Civil War 150 year anniversaries. Should we have had 150 yearly Gettysburg Ceremonies, or is it appropriate to mark anniversaries every 25 or 50 years?

I will not be glued to my TV today. I will be reading student assignments, sorting through some backpacking gear, reading Moby Dick. But I have paused to remember. I have said a small prayer for the families of the victims and said a silent thanks to all the public safety workers who daily protect myself and my family.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Should we treat each year the same? I don't think we could. The choices then would either be to offer this full onslaught every year, or continue to have smaller remembrances. At this point should we have a full feature remembrance of Pearl Harbor every year? Or mark the "round number" anniversaries? Or has too much time elapsed and Pearl Harbor just isn't important anymore? We are coming up on Civil War 150 year anniversaries. Should we have had 150 yearly Gettysburg Ceremonies, or is it appropriate to mark anniversaries every 25 or 50 years?

I will not be glued to my TV today. I will be reading student assignments, sorting through some backpacking gear, reading Moby Dick. But I have paused to remember. I have said a small prayer for the families of the victims and said a silent thanks to all the public safety workers who daily protect myself and my family.

:notworthy :notworthy