Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:54 AM)
Someone I knew from my high school (just knew of him) died in a car accident today (well, Monday). Just weird to see that someone so young (20 yrs old) can be taken away just like that (car accident on the way to school for him).

I found out easy it is for somebody to be taken away when I was in 5th grade.

There was a kid that was a grade below me that got hit and killed while riding his bike to school one day. I didn't know him personally but he was a friend of a friend. It was so weird during recess that day. Basically the entire 4th grade class just walked around the playground with their heads down.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My free loading aunt, who has been payed "under the table" by my dad for years to care for my aging (now 88 year old) grandpa to keep him out of a retirement home (HER request), has hired a lawyer and convinced my mentally fractured grandpa to remove my dad's power of attorney and completely remove him (and probably my sister and I) from his will. She's apparently been slowly "brain washing" my grandpa for the last few years.

My dad has been paying all his bills, tracking his medical records, and running his finances ever since my grandma died and his second wife was killed in a car accident. Prior to the car accident that killed his wife and severely damaged his shoulder and leg, she wasnt really part of the family. She had completely removed herself. My aunt hasnt had a stable job for probably 15-20 years ever since she was laid off from United. She's been using my Grandpa (and my dad) as a way to make easy money. This entire time, my aunt has effectively been using my Grandpa's car for "free" even though he hasnt been able to drive in 5+ years.

Essentially, it's a play to get 100% of his inheritance.

Paying her to keep an eye on him was what she insisted on to keep him out of a retirement home, which he would have needed if Grandpa did not have a care taker. He was mental ok until a few years back when he had a stroke and hasnt been the same since.

At the time, having her around (as much as she and my dad weren't getting along) wasnt a bad idea and their relationship was "amicable". But I think she's seeing $$$ and going for it, probably should have seen this coming.

In retrospect, my dad regrets that decision. But, one of my grandma's last wishes before she died was to "keep him in the house as long as you can". Oh, and "make sure the kids (my sister and I) get some of the money so they have an easier life."

My dad called my grandpa today to see what was going on, and he told my dad he doesnt want anything to do with him or his family. As a co-worker told me today, she's turned my grandpa into a puppet.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
My free loading aunt, who has been payed "under the table" by my dad for years to care for my aging (now 88 year old) grandpa to keep him out of a retirement home (HER request), has hired a lawyer and convinced my mentally fractured grandpa to remove my dad's power of attorney and completely remove him (and probably my sister and I) from his will. She's apparently been slowly "brain washing" my grandpa for the last few years.

My dad has been paying all his bills, tracking his medical records, and running his finances ever since my grandma died and his second wife was killed in a car accident. Prior to the car accident that killed his wife and severely damaged his shoulder and leg, she wasnt really part of the family. She had completely removed herself. My aunt hasnt had a stable job for probably 15-20 years ever since she was laid off from United. She's been using my Grandpa (and my dad) as a way to make easy money. This entire time, my aunt has effectively been using my Grandpa's car for "free" even though he hasnt been able to drive in 5+ years.

Essentially, it's a play to get 100% of his inheritance.

Paying her to keep an eye on him was what she insisted on to keep him out of a retirement home, which he would have needed if Grandpa did not have a care taker. He was mental ok until a few years back when he had a stroke and hasnt been the same since.

At the time, having her around (as much as she and my dad weren't getting along) wasnt a bad idea and their relationship was "amicable". But I think she's seeing $$$ and going for it, probably should have seen this coming.

In retrospect, my dad regrets that decision. But, one of my grandma's last wishes before she died was to "keep him in the house as long as you can". Oh, and "make sure the kids (my sister and I) get some of the money so they have an easier life."

My dad called my grandpa today to see what was going on, and he told my dad he doesnt want anything to do with him or his family. As a co-worker told me today, she's turned my grandpa into a puppet.

You would think that, in a case to remove your father's power of attorney, the fact that he's paid all of the bills and such for years would come into play.

Either way, your aunt reminds me of Janice from the Sopranos.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
You would think that, in a case to remove your father's power of attorney, the fact that he's paid all of the bills and such for years would come into play.

Either way, your aunt reminds me of Janice from the Sopranos.

And I am sure in a court room, she wont be looked to favorably upon. Not to mention the loads money she will have to pay the IRS when my dad gives them the list of payments she has been given over the years and I am fairly sure she never reported as income.

Additionally, she might not legally be able to make him change it. There could be an argument that he isnt mentally capable of doing so. He has been known to answer a TV remote control and once told my aunt my sister was dating a "Japanese guy" that was actually the HUSBAND of a friend of mine.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
And I am sure in a court room, she wont be looked to favorably upon. Not to mention the loads money she will have to pay the IRS when my dad gives them the list of payments she has been given over the years and I am fairly sure she never reported as income.

Additionally, she might not legally be able to make him change it. There could be an argument that he isnt mentally capable of doing so. He has been known to answer a TV remote control and once told my aunt my sister was dating a "Japanese guy" that was actually the HUSBAND of a friend of mine.

The key to the whole thing is to enter into a contract (which a power of attorney is, of sorts anyway) is the person has to be of sound mind. All it takes is a sleazeball attorney to testify to that, but that may be your out.

It's too bad you have to go through all of this.

Truly sucks to be in that situation, I just don't understand how sleazy some people can be (I mean I see it everyday, even in parts of my family, I just don't get that behavior). And yea, money has to be the biggest reason why families fight.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
It really is. Did you hike down?

Just want to interject this...

Do NOT take the Bright Angel trail lightly. More people need rescue from that trail than any other in the country. This is for two reasons. One, the Grand Canyon attracts all manner of people not really in shape for a serious hike. And two, unlike a mountain trail, a deep canyon trail goes down first and then up... this is bad because it's easy going down (except for the knee pain), so people just keep going and going, then they have to hike back up. That is when they realize they are in over their head (either due to not being in shape, not leaving enough time, not having food and water, etc.).

It's a great trail, but be prepared for it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)

Do NOT take the Bright Angel trail lightly. More people need rescue from that trail than any other in the country. This is for two reasons. One, the Grand Canyon attracts all manner of people not really in shape for a serious hike. And two, unlike a mountain trail, a deep canyon trail goes down first and then up... this is bad because it's easy going down (except for the knee pain), so people just keep going and going, then they have to hike back up. That is when they realize they are in over their head (either due to not being in shape, not leaving enough time, not having food and water, etc.).

Its funny, but I just had the exact same conversation with my boss yesterday, completely unrelated to this being posted.

Yeah, they have lot's of warnings about how rough it is. A marathon runner died a few years back because she didn't prepare for it.

It would be awesome to hike. They say you should give yourself two days to do it. I'm thinking about going back in a couple years to do it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
Yeah, they have lot's of warnings about how rough it is. A marathon runner died a few years back because she didn't prepare for it.

It would be awesome to hike. They say you should give yourself two days to do it. I'm thinking about going back in a couple years to do it.

The really funny part is that my boss told this exact story. :lolhitting

My wife hiked down to Phantom Ranch this summer. She did a ton of research and carried 13 lbs. of water, electrolytes, carby snacks, etc. with her. She encountered several people who had no idea where or if water was available on the trail and people who intended to hike down and back up in the same day. This was in late July when temperatures at the bottom of the canyon were well over 100 degrees.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
My wife hiked down to Phantom Ranch this summer. She did a ton of research and carried 13 lbs. of water, electrolytes, carby snacks, etc. with her. She encountered several people who had no idea where or if water was available on the trail and people who intended to hike down and back up in the same day. This was in late July when temperatures at the bottom of the canyon were well over 100 degrees.

That's awesome. Did she stay at the Phantom Ranch overnight?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)

I went down approximately 20 meters and that was it.

What I really, really, really want to do someday is 2 groups...one departs from the North Rim, one departs from the South rim, keys are exchanged while camping at the bottom, and then each group heads up the opposite way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
I went down approximately 20 meters and that was it.

What I really, really, really want to do someday is 2 groups...one departs from the North Rim, one departs from the South rim, keys are exchanged while camping at the bottom, and then each group heads up the opposite way.

That's kind of cool - a thru-hike with easier car scrambling.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Can somebody please tell me what the reason is that MY BROWSER KEEPS MARKING THREADS I'VE READ AS UNREAD?! I'll go through a forum and read the new stuff in about five threads and when I got back to the forum, all or most of the stuff it had already marked as read will be unread again.

THat happens to me on rare occcasions when I'm flying between lots of threads.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
Can somebody please tell me what the reason is that MY BROWSER KEEPS MARKING THREADS I'VE READ AS UNREAD?! I'll go through a forum and read the new stuff in about five threads and when I got back to the forum, all or most of the stuff it had already marked as read will be unread again.

When that happens to me, refreshing the page usually works fine.