Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Anyone know how long Chicago Animal Control will hold a dog before it's put to sleep? My dad brought our dog in anonymously early on Tuesday. I was unaware until a few minutes ago that he was brought to CAC, as I was told that he was flat-out put down. So, I and my siblings had come to grips with the loss of the dog, and now I find out that he's likely still alive. The problem is that I don't have the room for him and he's been having accidents during the night. Admittedly, the accidents are mostly due to my siblings still in the house forgetting to let him out at night. My dad didn't tell any of the family that he was putting the dog down, just did it. It sucked, but I felt like there wasn't much to be done about it. It was already done and I took comfort in the fact that he was brought there by a member of the family. Now, I can't help but feel terrible that he's probably just sitting there in a cage confused and scared, with a clock simply counting down the last few days and minutes of his life.

That's f***ing bulls***. Go save that poor pooch.

I've always been under the impression that they try to adopt out the animals as long as they aren't aggressive and/or sick.

Although we rescued a cat out of a tree in our yard one day and had animal control come and pick him up. We found out later that they put him down because he had a "sinus infection".

He sure as hell didn't look or act sick when we gave him to them.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
That's f***ing bulls***. Go save that poor pooch.

And do what with him?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
I've always been under the impression that they try to adopt out the animals as long as they aren't aggressive and/or sick.

Although we rescued a cat out of a tree in our yard one day and had animal control come and pick him up. We found out later that they put him down because he had a "sinus infection".

He sure as hell didn't look or act sick when we gave him to them.

He's about 12. I seriously doubt he's getting adopted. And he may have also had a hernia, but that could have been just a reason to get rid of him.

I'm trying to find someway to keep a good notepad on my desktop. I have Google Desktop, but I don't like the note gadgets that work (1 or 2 that looked good didn't work for some reason), and I tried the one that comes with Windows, but those are too big for my tastes. Also, Google discontinued support of their Desktop application.

Does anyone know of a good notepad desktop gadget, or better yet, know of a good replacement for Google Desktop that does essentially the same thing (but also has good note stuff)?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Random question (not related to me):

I was talking with someone the other day and they said that it is illegal for an employer (anyone above you on the org chart) to ask you if you are looking for, or have interviewed for, another job. Is that true?

I'm going with no, that is not true. It's not illegal to fire someone for looking for another job so I don't see why they can't ask.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
And do what with him?

He's about 12. I seriously doubt he's getting adopted. And he may have also had a hernia, but that could have been just a reason to get rid of him.

That dog deserves better, Milkman, you know it. You'll regret it if you don't do anything. Save it first, then figure out a long term solution.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
That dog deserves better, Milkman, you know it. You'll regret it if you don't do anything. Save it first, then figure out a long term solution.

I already contacted a no-kill shelter. They basically said it'd be a long shot that they'd even take him. If I got him out, I'd probably just end up taking him to be put down anyway.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
I already contacted a no-kill shelter. They basically said it'd be a long shot that they'd even take him. If I got him out, I'd probably just end up taking him to be put down anyway.

At least have him checked out by a vet for quality of life. Worse case scenario, he's put to sleep in your presence, not coldly at a pound. Give the dog a dignified death. He deserves to have someone he knows there with him if that's the case. Eliminate the "what if..." Don't throw away a pet that's been part of your family for over a decade without at least some respect. And, if the vet says it's a lost cause, take him to the park, let him run around for a little bit and give him a nice treat. Just give him one last good day, you'll feel better for doing so.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
On a lighter note...

I had fried Oreo's for the first time yesterday.

Heaven.

Magical.

I've had them once. Never again. Maybe I got a bad one, but it was like a soggy Oreo covered in even soggier breading.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
I've had them once. Never again. Maybe I got a bad one, but it was like a soggy Oreo covered in even soggier breading.

Yeah, that was overcooked. The Oreo should have a cake-like consistency and the breading should be soft and similar to funnel cake.

So I'm going through my PMs, deleting a few of them to make space but keeping the ones I know I want to keep. I have some old MFing PM's btw.

Anyways, I run into this one

Who choked?

:bringit Whos choking now b****? 3 and a half out.

dated Sept 21, 2005. Said poster's name was gosoxttc. Said person was obviously a troll.

I find this one curious for a number of different reasons:

#1) The Indians were actually 2.5 out after CREDE

#2) Said poster, as far as I was aware, was never actually banned. I like it more like that.

#3) Oh, and don't call me Walter for living in the past but said team that was, like, you know, 2.5 (3.5!!!)

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some real satisfaction, that day is a loss.

We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear a lot of talk about it, it's usually lousy.

Un-American activity cannot be prevented or routed out by employing un-American methods; to preserve freedom we must use the tools that freedom provides.

All from Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1890 - 1969

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 05:43 AM)
Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some real satisfaction, that day is a loss.

We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear a lot of talk about it, it's usually lousy.

Un-American activity cannot be prevented or routed out by employing un-American methods; to preserve freedom we must use the tools that freedom provides.

All from Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1890 - 1969

Thomes Jefferson

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Out of curiosity, if you would decriminalize, why not legalize?

When you give the government ahold of something, they can do what they like with it. Leaving open the chance for companies to put "additives" in the marijuana.

If you can decriminalize, you can have dispensaries distribute (also making it so that you'll need a license to obtain).