Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Yeah, I have no doubt that there's life out there. How evolved/advanced is up for debate, but again that's not really what I meant.

I mean something like a guy climbed to the top of Mt. Everest and then a meteor hit him. What is the most unlikely thing to happen that anyone's heard of?

I never heard of this happening, but I can fathom a reason why...if you're nearly 6 miles up in the atmosphere, you're quite a ways above normal ground level, and that would affect the survival rates of meteors...less atmosphere to travel through.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
she might be posing for playboy

I'd check the pictures out online.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
I never heard of this happening, but I can fathom a reason why...if you're nearly 6 miles up in the atmosphere, you're quite a ways above normal ground level, and that would affect the survival rates of meteors...less atmosphere to travel through.

I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you think I was serious. That was just an example of something extraordinarily unlikely happening.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you think I was serious. That was just an example of something extraordinarily unlikely happening.

Things that seem extraordinarily unlikely can become more likely when you change the circumstances. 6 miles of atmosphere is a long way for a meteor ;).

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
she might be posing for playboy

Supposedly they are offering her between $750k-$1mil. Are there enough people still interested in her to make that money worthwhile? I'm sure pics will get leaked to the intrawebs anyway.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Can you remember ever hearing a story and thinking how incredibly unlikely it was?

JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH, PEOPLE!

That people who control our financial industry would bet tens of trillions of dollars on the concept that housing prices could not decrease.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
That's gotta be up there, but that isn't exactly something that happened by chance.

Well if we are talking about by pure chance, it would have to be some sort of a single specific genetic mutation occurring in one place.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
This topic reminds me, here is something really unlikely... what would happen if everyone in a city (or even just a neighborhood) flushed their toilets simultaneously?

A lot of turds.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
Can you remember ever hearing a story and thinking how incredibly unlikely it was?

JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH, PEOPLE!

My in-laws have a newspaper that shows the listing of their house when they bought it.

On the exact same page there is a listing of my parents' house. We lived there until I was in the 3rd grade.

So the reports have it that Lindsey Lohan posed for Playboy over the weekend for sum somewhere between $750,000 and $1 million bucks. You know this would have been good news about 6 or 7 years ago but considering she's aged about 30 years in the last 5, not so much.

I am curious if it's going to be one of those celebrity layouts where the most you see it a bit of sideboob. Considering how desperate she has to be for cash, I can't imagine Playboy that much for sideboob.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
And thanks to the Kepler space telescope...we can already say no, that isn't the case. Our solar system appears to be just another of trillions. Planetary systems with rocky inner worlds in the habitable zone seem pretty much the norm for 2nd and 3rd generation stars.

Well the key word is appears, so much unknown when it comes to space we can easily be missing something. Hell we don't even know much about our own world to pretend to know much outside of it.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
Well the key word is appears, so much unknown when it comes to space we can easily be missing something. Hell we don't even know much about our own world to pretend to know much outside of it.

Appears was chosen because we're detecting these thousands of other planetary systems with Kepler using light from stars. And we're detecting thousands. And if you do basic statistics, the numbers out there must be enormous.

Just ecause we don't know everything doesn't mean what we've already established isn't incredible.

QUOTE (juddling @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
So the reports have it that Lindsey Lohan posed for Playboy over the weekend for sum somewhere between $750,000 and $1 million bucks. You know this would have been good news about 6 or 7 years ago but considering she's aged about 30 years in the last 5, not so much.

I am curious if it's going to be one of those celebrity layouts where the most you see it a bit of sideboob. Considering how desperate she has to be for cash, I can't imagine Playboy that much for sideboob.

well I wonder how young photoshop can make her look. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
Appears was chosen because we're detecting these thousands of other planetary systems with Kepler using light from stars. And we're detecting thousands. And if you do basic statistics, the numbers out there must be enormous.

Just ecause we don't know everything doesn't mean what we've already established isn't incredible.

Freckles. Everywhere.