Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
This is true. I do spend time on here associating with the likes of you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
LakersReaction.gif

FIRST OFF...touche.

Second, what the hell do people do when they don't go out on Friday nights? I'm bored out of my f***in mind.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
FIRST OFF...touche.

Second, what the hell do people do when they don't go out on Friday nights? I'm bored out of my f***in mind.

It helps to have a girl around.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
I'm playing madden and drinking big hurt beer waiting for my dumbass friends to pick me up for a party. So I have no idea.

I had a very similar evening on Friday night. Played Madden, drank BHB, and waited for a buddy to pick me up so I could be his wingman.

Good times.

Got a notice in the mail today from the Census Bureau, saying that in a few days I'll receive a questionnaire that's part of the "American Community Survey" which I've never heard of, but whatever. I just thought it was interesting that the informational pamphlet included was in 6 different languages. Not sure on all of them, but I think they were English, Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, and some sort of southeast Asian, perhaps Thai or Vietnamese.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
OK, I have an odd question. I got the idea from Futurama.

What do you think is the least likely thing to have ever happened? Life itself is probably the best answer, but I'm thinking about one particular event.

Me having sex?

Got a notice in the mail today from the Census Bureau, saying that in a few days I'll receive a questionnaire that's part of the "American Community Survey" which I've never heard of, but whatever. I just thought it was interesting that the informational pamphlet included was in 6 different languages. Not sure on all of them, but I think they were English, Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, and some sort of southeast Asian, perhaps Thai or Vietnamese.

Vietnamese.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)

What do you think is the least likely thing to have ever happened? Life itself is probably the best answer, but I'm thinking about one particular event.

There's good reason to believe that by the time my generation passes away...we'll think that the existence of life in the universe is rather ordinary.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)

That's a great question, and I have no idea what the answer is.

There's good reason to believe that by the time my generation passes away...we'll think that the existence of life in the universe is rather ordinary.

I'm not certain of that. There are an awful lot of conditions that need to be within very small specifications for life to exist to begin with, and then that life has to be able to survive for 4+ billion years without getting wiped out.

Add on top of that the very minute percentage of the universe that we are yet able to observe and I really don't think that the discovery of other life is at all certain.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm not certain of that. There are an awful lot of conditions that need to be within very small specifications for life to exist to begin with, and then that life has to be able to survive for 4+ billion years without getting wiped out.

Add on top of that the very minute percentage of the universe that we are yet able to observe and I really don't think that the discovery of other life is at all certain.

Now wait...he didn't say "Intelligent" life, or highly evolved life, or an ything like that...he said "Life" coming into existence.

There's a real good chance that it's happened more than once in this solar system. As far as we can tell...the specific conditions requried for the presence of life are...the existence of liquid water and a contact between the liquid water and rocks. There are at least 4-5 places in this solar system alone that meet or did meet that standard.

Now wait...he didn't say "Intelligent" life, or highly evolved life, or an ything like that...he said "Life" coming into existence.

There's a real good chance that it's happened more than once in this solar system. As far as we can tell...the specific conditions requried for the presence of life are...the existence of liquid water and a contact between the liquid water and rocks. There are at least 4-5 places in this solar system alone that meet or did meet that standard.

OK, I took it to mean currently existing, observable life. Of course there has been other life out there, but it's not a given that any of it still exists and is close enough that we will ever see it.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
OK, I took it to mean currently existing, observable life. Of course there has been other life out there, but it's not a given that any of it still exists and is close enough that we will ever see it.

The reason I said that we'll figure it out in my lifetime is...I think there probably is life in the oceans on some of the Galilean/Saturnian satellites, and there probably was life existing at one point on Mars. Just a question of getting there and finding the evidence.

2-3-4 occurrences of independent "Life" in one solar system makes a pretty compelling case that it's not very unique, if you can find them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
The reason I said that we'll figure it out in my lifetime is...I think there probably is life in the oceans on some of the Galilean/Saturnian satellites, and there probably was life existing at one point on Mars. Just a question of getting there and finding the evidence.

2-3-4 occurrences of independent "Life" in one solar system makes a pretty compelling case that it's not very unique, if you can find them.

Or maybe factors exist in our solar system that aren't typical from the usual?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
Or maybe factors exist in our solar system that aren't typical from the usual?

And thanks to the Kepler space telescope...we can already say no, that isn't the case. Our solar system appears to be just another of trillions. Planetary systems with rocky inner worlds in the habitable zone seem pretty much the norm for 2nd and 3rd generation stars.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)

Yeah, I have no doubt that there's life out there. How evolved/advanced is up for debate, but again that's not really what I meant.

I mean something like a guy climbed to the top of Mt. Everest and then a meteor hit him. What is the most unlikely thing to happen that anyone's heard of?