2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
Also, it sounds like it's the original AC. With Ubisoft focused on Revelations right now, I highly doubt AC will be all that different. They are churning out major AC releases every year and using multiple studios to do it. Any remastered AC for the new Wii (I hate using that new name, while I know Project Cafe was never going to be the name it was much better than the college version of Wii) will probably be pretty close to the original just because I doubt they'd spend the time to change it much.

Makes sense.

But thats still my point.

Old versions.

Why aren't they making Revelations for the Wii U? That's where my skepticism comes in.

Also, does anyone know if it will have an HDD?

Edited by Quinarvy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:06 AM)
Its a 4G XBOX, so aka worthless without the hard drive..

Looks like I'm gonna end up getting one using some graduation money, because my current PC is on its last legs.

So, since its only 4GB, is it even worth getting games like Mass Effect (since I can't play the original on PS3), Gears, or Fable 2 & 3?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
Looks like I'm gonna end up getting one using some graduation money, because my current PC is on its last legs.

So, since its only 4GB, is it even worth getting games like Mass Effect (since I can't play the original on PS3), Gears, or Fable 2 & 3?

Bioware should follow Valve's lead and release a Mass Effect 3 package on March 6 for say an extra $20 that includes the 1st 2 games also on the one CD, pretty much what they did with the Orange Box a couple of years back. Be nice if they could update the graphics or something on the 1st game though.

So what's everyone been impressed by at E3 so far? Games wise, obviously great to finally see some Mass Effect 3 footage being a huge fan, all the Kinnect announcements have pretty much been disappointments which isn't a major shock, the WiiU seems like it has some major potential, and Nintendo obviously had to get a new console in there with the Wii Novelty running out of steam.

Some of the Unchartered 3 and Modern Warfare 3 trailers have looked awesome also, but you expect that from those franchises.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:39 AM)

I would think 4gb's is plenty for that. You won't be able to install the game on the 360, but you should be able to play it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
History tells you that? You are acting like nothing has ever changed in the console market. Nintendo may have focused on the lighter side of gaming through the gamecube and wii, but they are still a pretty heavy hitter. Im sure developers will jump at the chance to put a title on Nintendo, whatever it may be. Now that the controller has come back to something a little more like a normal controller(scheme wise, minus the touch screen) and it isnt so focused on the motion aspect I think we will see some more titles that core gamers will appreciate.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could watch Nintendo's conference and think that they are not focused on the "core".

3rd party/Core games announced for Wii U

Batman: Arkham City

Metro: Last Night

Darksider's II

Tekken

Ghost Recon Online

Ninja Gaiden 3

New Dirt

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Some sort of Assasin's Creed (Which we'll hear about today)

1st party games

???? (well, we saw a Zelda HD trailer, but wasn't announced as an actual game)

Pikmin 3 and Super Smash Brother's were announced but not shown

The tech in there is obviously superior to anything on PS360, so I'm not sure on the complaints. I will never understand those who consider a touch screen gimmicky, especially what we've seen from the Playstation Vita and Nintendo DS, but to each his own. It's here to stay and will likely be the future of gaming controls. Even so, it seems the Wii U has all the regular part of a controller.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could watch Nintendo's conference and think that they are not focused on the "core".

3rd party/Core games announced for Wii U

Batman: Arkham City

Metro: Last Night

Darksider's II

Tekken

Ghost Recon Online

Ninja Gaiden 3

New Dirt

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Some sort of Assasin's Creed (Which we'll hear about today)

1st party games

???? (well, we saw a Zelda HD trailer, but wasn't announced as an actual game)

Pikmin 3 and Super Smash Brother's were announced but not shown

The tech in there is obviously superior to anything on PS360, so I'm not sure on the complaints. I will never understand those who consider a touch screen gimmicky, especially what we've seen from the Playstation Vita and Nintendo DS, but to each his own. It's here to stay and will likely be the future of gaming controls. Even so, it seems the Wii U has all the regular part of a controller.

I will dispute this. Nintendo is the king of gimmick-y add-ons that flame out, from the power glove to the virtual boy. It could very well be copied, ala the Playstation Move, but I don't think it's going to replace the stand alone controller as the go-to choice for gamers.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
I will dispute this. Nintendo is the king of gimmick-y add-ons that flame out, from the power glove to the virtual boy. It could very well be copied, ala the Playstation Move, but I don't think it's going to replace the stand alone controller as the go-to choice for gamers.

What have they flamed out on lately though? Touch screen from the DS has been adopted from it's competitor as it's major control scheme. Everyone is ripping their glasses-less 3D technology. You have Microsoft who refuses to jump into next gen because they believe that gen is already here with their Kinect system. Now today you have Sony coming out and saying they will essentially copy the Wii U with some PS Vita modifications.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
What have they flamed out on lately though? Touch screen from the DS has been adopted from it's competitor as it's major control scheme. Everyone is ripping their glasses-less 3D technology. You have Microsoft who refuses to jump into next gen because they believe that gen is already here with their Kinect system. Now today you have Sony coming out and saying they will essentially copy the Wii U with some PS Vita modifications.

This is a big debate within my circle of friends (who run a blog at www.nowloadin.com if anyone is interested in a lowkey gaming site). I distinguish commercial success with achieving something meaningful for gaming experiences. IMO w/ the exception of the initial "zomg! i can fake bowl with this controller," I'd argue the motion control has been a pretty big flame out. What has that really added to REAL games? Think of the Wii's best games and none of them use the motion control for anything meaningful. See also, sixaxis/move.

Same with Kinect. It sold like hotcakes because it's fun to stand there and move your hands about and interact with little mini games. And the technology is pretty amazing to watch. But it won't translate to "real" video games. Kinect showed Knights of the Old Republic on Kinect. Who wants to stand and waive their arm around like an idiot for hours and hours? Like the Wii games, it's fun to try, but in the end you sit down and fake the motions. Despite their marketing attempts, I just don't see that stuff translating beyond party games, which for them makes good business sense because it gets the casual gamers' money. But for "actual gamers," it's all a big gimmick that doesn't add anything.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
I would think 4gb's is plenty for that. You won't be able to install the game on the 360, but you should be able to play it.

Then I'm good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)

This.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)

Yes, but the difference? PS Vita isn't the main control scheme, and is basicallydoing what Remote Play was intended to do. My gripe is that its the default, main option. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what held a lot of games from being on the Wii initially that were on PS3 abd 360. The hardware boost will help, but I remain highly skeptical.

Also, the Nintendo glasses free 3D is insanely painful to use, so I'm not sure if people are jumping all over it. Also, no, the DS touch screen hasn't beeb adopted by Sony, because the DS clamshell wants you to touch one screen while action happens on the other, while the Vita is more similar to a smart phone.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Just a little bit shady here.

http://ign.com/articles/1174313

Nintendo used PS3 and 360 footage.

I think I pointed that out yesterday. None of that footage is new and were just trailers for the game, so I thought that was obvious. They don't have full dev kits out so it's what they have to do.to show off their titles. Also why no new games have been announced for it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Then I'm good.

This.

Yes, but the difference? PS Vita isn't the main control scheme, and is basicallydoing what Remote Play was intended to do. My gripe is that its the default, main option. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what held a lot of games from being on the Wii initially that were on PS3 abd 360. The hardware boost will help, but I remain highly skeptical.

Also, the Nintendo glasses free 3D is insanely painful to use, so I'm not sure if people are jumping all over it. Also, no, the DS touch screen hasn't beeb adopted by Sony, because the DS clamshell wants you to touch one screen while action happens on the other, while the Vita is more similar to a smart phone.

"The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus."

Everything's there and more regardless, so I don't think you have to worry about default control schemes.

And yeah, I didn't mean to sound like Vita was some complete copy of the DS, but when Sony sees it's competitor sell 150 million units, you have to think they were clearly influenced by that success.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
This is a big debate within my circle of friends (who run a blog at www.nowloadin.com if anyone is interested in a lowkey gaming site). I distinguish commercial success with achieving something meaningful for gaming experiences. IMO w/ the exception of the initial "zomg! i can fake bowl with this controller," I'd argue the motion control has been a pretty big flame out. What has that really added to REAL games? Think of the Wii's best games and none of them use the motion control for anything meaningful. See also, sixaxis/move.

Same with Kinect. It sold like hotcakes because it's fun to stand there and move your hands about and interact with little mini games. And the technology is pretty amazing to watch. But it won't translate to "real" video games. Kinect showed Knights of the Old Republic on Kinect. Who wants to stand and waive their arm around like an idiot for hours and hours? Like the Wii games, it's fun to try, but in the end you sit down and fake the motions. Despite their marketing attempts, I just don't see that stuff translating beyond party games, which for them makes good business sense because it gets the casual gamers' money. But for "actual gamers," it's all a big gimmick that doesn't add anything.

I abandoned the PS Move months ago. It really doesnt add much to the games you will play most of the time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)

Hey, I don't disagree at all with this. I kind of resent Nintendo for introducing the era of motion (they have seemed to even ruin Microsoft). It's why I've been pretty much exclusively Sony this gen.

But it's why I appreciated their conference yesterday so much. They essentially admitted they didn't even like the direction where they were going. They admitted to being in a damage control state with 3rd party developers and made a killer statement with the people they have showed the system to. For about the first time ever, they took the focus off themselves. They seem very determined to take back the "core" gamer, and they are off to a good start. They could have easily just launched a motion-based successor, and investors would have been a lot happier.

And I'm not going to lump touch screens with motion either. Touch screens have been a raging success in other industries already for their effectiveness at control. I hate to keep bringing up the DS too (it's the only thing so far to go on in terms of video games), but that was not only a commercial success, it was a huge critical success as well. I would be shocked if Sony and Microsoft don't launch their next consoles with similar tech.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
And I'm not going to lump touch screens with motion either. Touch screens have been a raging success in other industries already for their effectiveness at control.

In those instances, you're touching the screen where all the activity is occurring.

For Wii U, you have to look away from the TV and down at your hands.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:39 AM)

No because you aren't going to have enough GB to save anything.. creating profiles, the avatar stuff, DLC, games.. it eats up a good chunk of GB.. not so much on mine since I have 250 GB, but if you only have 4 GB you're not going to be able to do much..

For example, most demos are about 1G.. its pretty shallow

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
No because you aren't going to have enough GB to save anything.. creating profiles, the avatar stuff, DLC, games.. it eats up a good chunk of GB.. not so much on mine since I have 250 GB, but if you only have 4 GB you're not going to be able to do much..

For example, most demos are about 1G.. its pretty shallow

My friend said he's got a 40 GB HDD lying around, so that'll help.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:05 AM)
My friend said he's got a 40 GB HDD lying around, so that'll help.

if that's the case, then its a pretty good deal for a new CPU and an XBOX for around 700 or so..