2011 Music Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
I can't speak to any modern incarnations of pop punk, but it was a powerhouse genre that followed right on the heels of the original punk movement (which really was never as far removed from pop as the original punks wanted to think it was). Buzzcocks were total pop punk and they were very relevant and worth paying attention to. And xtc in particular — one of my all-time favorites — began as a loud, shrill, but strangely fun pop punk band.

This was also what I wanted to say, but kudos to you for saying it in a much less douchey way than I managed to.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
This was also what I wanted to say, but kudos to you for saying it in a much less douchey way than I managed to.

I just read your post. Douchey perhaps, but very well-informed. On this side of the Atlantic, the Ramones are the quintessential example of "punks" that never got very far away from pop at all. And bless 'em for it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
I just read your post. Douchey perhaps, but very well-informed. On this side of the Atlantic, the Ramones are the quintessential example of "punks" that never got very far away from pop at all. And bless 'em for it.

Definitely -- the Ramones certainly had pop sensibilities.

The snarky tone was because I just wrote a huge term paper on a closely related subject last spring (but that was more about the political ideologies, or lackthereof, of different eras/types of musicians -- specifically blues, folk/counterculture, and punk), so those quotes I pulled were from books I read for that.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)
Definitely -- the Ramones certainly had pop sensibilities.

The snarky tone was because I just wrote a huge term paper on a closely related subject last spring (but that was more about the political ideologies, or lackthereof, of different eras/types of musicians -- specifically blues, folk/counterculture, and punk), so those quotes I pulled were from books I read for that.

douche.

:P

As a rule, we're always supposed to applaud the collapse of the record industry. We are supposed to feel good about the democratization of music and the limitless palette upon which artists can now operate. But that collapse is why Lulu exists. If we still lived in the radio prison of 1992, do you think Metallica would purposefully release an album that no one wants? No way. Cliff Burnstein from Q Prime Management would listen to their various ideas, stroke his white beard, and deliver the following 45-second pep talk: "OK, great. Love these concepts. Your allusion to Basquiat's middle period was very apt, Lars. Incisive! But here's our situation. If you guys spend two months writing superfast Diamond Head songs about nuclear winter and shape-shifting, we can earn $752 million in 18 months, plus merchandizing. That's option A. The alternative is that you can make a ponderous, quasi-ironic art record about 'the lexicon of hate' that will outrage the Village Voice and mildly impress Laurie Anderson. Your call."

Chuck Klosterman on the travesty that is the Lou Reed / Metallica album.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)

You cut short a pretty important line that sinks his whole argument, imo:

But if the fundamental goal of Metallica is to make good music, it seems like trying to get rich while doing so dramatically improves their creative process

Monetary success and high-quality are not linked in any way, shape or form in the music industry. To paraphrase the article: "But we don't live in a vacuum. We live on Earth. And that means we have to accept the real-life consequences of a culture in which recorded music is primarily about profits for record companies, and one of those consequences is [Hanson/Britney Spears/Beiber etc.].

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
You cut short a pretty important line that sinks his whole argument, imo:

Monetary success and high-quality are not linked in any way, shape or form in the music industry. To paraphrase the article: "But we don't live in a vacuum. We live on Earth. And that means we have to accept the real-life consequences of a culture in which recorded music is primarily about profits for record companies, and one of those consequences is [Hanson/Britney Spears/Beiber etc.].

Dramatically improves their creative process

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 26, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
well I don't think it's particularly clear if he's talking only about Metallica in that paragraph or the larger music industry in general and is using Metallica is an example.

It also ignores that Metallica produced garbage albums pre-industry collapse.

He was absolutely talking about Metallica, and just Metallica, in that statement.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 03:05 AM)
Anyone else listened to the new Coldplay album?

Certainly not as good as some of their past work, Don't Let It Break Your Heart is one of their catchiest tunes they've done in a while though.

I have not heard it yet. I have been so out of touch with music nowadays...... and every thing else I once loved. LOL

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 03:05 AM)
Anyone else listened to the new Coldplay album?

Certainly not as good as some of their past work, Don't Let It Break Your Heart is one of their catchiest tunes they've done in a while though.

I was listening to it online last night. Strange combo of them w/Rihanna, too. All in all, pretty decent album.