Freddy signs with NYY

Pale Sox

I guess there are a ton of incentives that will pay out over 5mil if he meets. I can't remember but i thought i read somewhere that every 5 starts he makes he gets a bump in salary up to 30 starts. So if he is confident he can be as good as last year (why wouldn't he finish somewhere around there) he can make over 5mil this season.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
Deep down I thought he would have ended up with Twins.

I don't know why you ever had those feelings. If there is one area the Twins really don't have a need, it's starting pitching depth. As of right now, they have a 6 man rotation of Liriano, Pavano, Baker, Duensing, Slowey, and Blackburn, have Wimmers and Gibson on the way (though neither really needs to pitch until next year), and have a few others in AAA that can make starts for them too.

(they obviously won't go with a 6-man rotation...I don't think I needed to clarify this either, but just in case)

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
I am now convinced Sale is going to the rotation.

I am a believer that the Dunn money came from Peavy insurance, and that Ohman was added because Thornton is going to close.

Haven't they all but said that he'll be in the bullpen? Because Coop is dead-set against the idea of flip-flopping Sale between starter and reliever mid-season.

I dunno, maybe they haven't explicitly said anything, but that sure seems to be the implication.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I am now convinced Sale is going to the rotation.

I am a believer that the Dunn money came from Peavy insurance, and that Ohman was added because Thornton is going to close.

I don't think that there is any insurance money for Peavy because he is not going to miss a significant amount of time. If insurance companies were to give out insurance for injuries that took less than a year to recover from, they'd be bankrupt. Insurance policies are for guys like Albert Belle who have an extreme condition come up that does not allow them to continue playing baseball when you are still on hook for the contract. Further, I think the White Sox signed Will Ohman because they feel that either Sale or Thornton will be the best closer and Ozzie wants to have one more lefty to use early in the game.

So I believe you are wrong.

Of course, I could very well be wrong too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
I don't think that there is any insurance money for Peavy because he is not going to miss a significant amount of time. If insurance companies were to give out insurance for injuries that took less than a year to recover from, they'd be bankrupt. Insurance policies are for guys like Albert Belle who have an extreme condition come up that does not allow them to continue playing baseball when you are still on hook for the contract. Further, I think the White Sox signed Will Ohman because they feel that either Sale or Thornton will be the best closer and Ozzie wants to have one more lefty to use early in the game.

So I believe you are wrong.

Of course, I could very well be wrong too.

The rates would be higher if they covered a half season, but if a team was really expecting a guy to get hurt, they might well have written the policy that way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
The rates would be higher if they covered a half season, but if a team was really expecting a guy to get hurt, they might well have written the policy that way.

And also paid a much higher premium. It's not out of the realm of possibility, I just don't think this is the case. I don't have any insight into the situation though, so it's impossible for me to be certain of anything.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
And also paid a much higher premium. It's not out of the realm of possibility, I just don't think this is the case. I don't have any insight into the situation though, so it's impossible for me to be certain of anything.

It was also San Diego's policy, no?

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
Someone make me a "The Yankees like the White Sox sloppy seconds" signature, with both of their pictures in there!! :lolhitting

Might as well include Boone Logan, Damaso Marte, & Nick Swisher in there. Well, maybe not Swisher, he's actually been doing well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
That, or the Sox did not want him as much as we think we did.

I can't imagine that Kenny was expecting Freddy to post a repeat of the first half of 2010.

Freddy's done some great things for this team, but it's time to move on.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
Agreed.

People like to trash Freddy because the FB isn't nearly what it used to be, but the secondary stuff is there and he knows how to pitch. Sometimes I think people forget how easy it is for MLB hitters to park mid-90's heat when they don't have to worry about the guy on the mound getting his breaking ball over. For a team like the Yankees who are going to contend no matter what, a guy like Freddy could definitely make a difference, because even when he's not at his best, he can still get himself out of jams and get the Yankee offense back up there.

It's a sad day when I read "FB" and first think Facebook instead of Fastball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
Might as well include Boone Logan, Damaso Marte, & Nick Swisher in there. Well, maybe not Swisher, he's actually been doing well.

Logan was named the best LOOGY in baseball last year by Baseball Prospectus, IIRC

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Logan was named the best LOOGY in baseball last year by Baseball Prospectus, IIRC

That would have been silly because there were certainly had to be better, more well-defined LOOGY's in baseball last year.

Logan threw 40 innings...22 against lefties, 18 against righties. Against lefties, he allowed 15 hits, 10 walks, struck out 30, and didn't allow a homer for a WHIP of 1.14, K/9 of 12.3, and BB/9 of 4.1. He was certainly good, but you almost have to think there was someone better.

Matt Thornton was easily better, but he also threw more innings against righties than he did lefties. Again though, it's not as if Logan pitched almost primarily against LHP. Thornton threw 28 innings against lefties, allowed 17 hits, 6 walks, struck out 44, and allowed 2 home runs. That's a WHIP of 0.82, a K/9 of 14.1, and a BB/9 of 1.9. Each of those is better than Logan's except for the 2 home runs (though I don't think it can technically count as a home run unless it hits the ground, which one of those "home runs" still has not done).

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically I think they want Matt Thornton in the 8th Inning and Sale in the 9th and I don't see them deviating from that plan to get Sale's arm stretched out to start. And no way do I see Sale starting even if Peavy isn't ready until mid May. With the off days in April and probable rain outs we can probably get Peavy back May 1 while only marching a scrub from AAA out there 3 or 4 times max, which isn't going to bury us.

And regarding Freddy, doesn't he suck in ST typically? I recall just recently Ozzie talking about how people need to understand his style in ST and how he doesn't really get going until the regular season. If he gets bombed in ST I find it hard to believe the Yanks will just trust he'll be the same guy as last year and take their chances, but then again, what is 2M to the yanks....

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Realistically I think they want Matt Thornton in the 8th Inning and Sale in the 9th and I don't see them deviating from that plan to get Sale's arm stretched out to start. And no way do I see Sale starting even if Peavy isn't ready until mid May. With the off days in April and probable rain outs we can probably get Peavy back May 1 while only marching a scrub from AAA out there 3 or 4 times max, which isn't going to bury us.

And regarding Freddy, doesn't he suck in ST typically? I recall just recently Ozzie talking about how people need to understand his style in ST and how he doesn't really get going until the regular season. If he gets bombed in ST I find it hard to believe the Yanks will just trust he'll be the same guy as last year and take their chances, but then again, what is 2M to the yanks....

I think 4 starts is the maximum he'd miss in April without rain-outs. As I'm confident that we'll have at least one game rained out, I'd let Peavy sit until May and rely on a minor league for 3 games.

Edited by Milkman delivers

How are the Yankees going to win anything with Freddy as No. 4 starter and Colon No. 5?

Those guys can't go more than 5-plus innings. If allowed to go more than that, their pitches scream, "hit me."

I love Freddy and he was great in his role last year, but I would think Freddy/Colon is a recipe for disaster.