Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
Because subconsciously you forgot that Peavy's first name was Jake since nobody refers to him by his first name anywhere (even though it is in the thread title...I read it as "Peavy Thread"). It's almost always Peavy and every now and then it's JFP.

Atleast, that is why I didn't get it.

You may be on to something there.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Jon Heyman

Jake peavy, who pitches vs angels today, telling friends he's shooting for may 1 to pitch for real. #chisox

Time for the Phil Humber era to begin!

I'll optimisticaly take this to mean that he can still fill the fifth starter spot beginning April 10th, but will be at less than 100% until May 1. Depending on his velocity, Jake at 90% may still be better than anybody else in that spot.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
I'll optimisticaly take this to mean that he can still fill the fifth starter spot beginning April 10th, but will be at less than 100% until May 1. Depending on his velocity, Jake at 90% may still be better than anybody else in that spot.

I'd rather just see Humber out there for 2-3 starts and hope he just keeps us in the game before we force Peavy to come back at 80-90% and risk ANOTHER injury. In the scheme of things, 3 of 34 starts or so is not a big deal at all.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
I'd rather just see Humber out there for 2-3 starts and hope he just keeps us in the game before we force Peavy to come back at 80-90% and risk ANOTHER injury. In the scheme of things, 3 of 34 starts or so is not a big deal at all.

I agree if that's the case. But Ptac keeps saying that if he is "less than," it will merely be due to an issue of strength as his muscle rebuilds. If that's so, he might as well go, but we can't afford to be too greedy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Jon Heyman

Jake peavy, who pitches vs angels today, telling friends he's shooting for may 1 to pitch for real. #chisox

I think Heyman's full of s*** when he tries to scoop anything outside of the yankees/mets. Jake's shooting for breaking camp w/the team and pitching to start the season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Jon Heyman

Time for the Phil Humber era to begin!

I'm guessing that is he will be pitching at 100% by May 1st.

@JeffPassan Jeff Passan

Jake Peavy was 89-92 in his first inning back from surgery. Still plenty of movement on his sinker. Ended inning with 4-6-3 on Torii Hunter.

21 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Tell me that's not encouraging.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
@JeffPassan Jeff Passan

Jake Peavy was 89-92 in his first inning back from surgery. Still plenty of movement on his sinker. Ended inning with 4-6-3 on Torii Hunter.

21 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Tell me that's not encouraging.

I watched every pitch with a smile on my face.

He's still recoiling a bit and not following through completely thou.

( I thought this was one of the issues that lead to his injury? )

Peavy tells me he's thinking he will start the season as the Sox's No. 5 starter, meaning he would make his first start at KC on April 6

@pedrogomezESPN Pedro Gomez

That would be insane if he starts the first week of the season. I still would rather Peavy miss a couple weeks in April so that he is 100%. No point in rushing him to make two extra starts.

If there are no setbacks between now and the rest of spring training, then he should start April 6. If he's at 90 pitches in three weeks, he should start on 4/6. No point in him going to Charlotte for meaningless rehab starts. If he's ready and feeling good, he's got to start the season with the team.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
@pedrogomezESPN Pedro Gomez

That would be insane if he starts the first week of the season. I still would rather Peavy miss a couple weeks in April so that he is 100%. No point in rushing him to make two extra starts.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
No point in him going to Charlotte for meaningless rehab starts. If he's ready and feeling good, he's got to start the season with the team.

Exactly. If he's going to pitch either way, it might as well be up here.

Yea - if he's 100% and not feeling any issues - bring it baby.

That way I'd be able to see him during my first trip to Chicago to see the first 2 home series with my dad!

How sick would that be? =)

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
If there are no setbacks between now and the rest of spring training, then he should start April 6. If he's at 90 pitches in three weeks, he should start on 4/6. No point in him going to Charlotte for meaningless rehab starts. If he's ready and feeling good, he's got to start the season with the team.

Agree, if he's going to get some starts, there's not much difference between Chicago and Charlotte. The Sox can probably monitor his health better if he's in Chicago anyway.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
I watched every pitch with a smile on my face.

He's still recoiling a bit and not following through completely thou.

( I thought this was one of the issues that lead to his injury? )

I think many people claim that was one of the issues that lead to his injury, but they've shown no evidence of it. IIRC, people kept saying he was putting all of the deceleration pressure on his lat with that recoil he does at the end of pitches, however, from everything I know about that particular muscle, it's an acceleration muscle and cannot be used to decelerate...which would invalidate claims that he was using it to decelerate.

Feel free to correct me if I'm way wrong on this, I'm not an expert in the field. :D

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
I think many people claim that was one of the issues that lead to his injury, but they've shown no evidence of it. IIRC, people kept saying he was putting all of the deceleration pressure on his lat with that recoil he does at the end of pitches, however, from everything I know about that particular muscle, it's an acceleration muscle and cannot be used to decelerate...which would invalidate claims that he was using it to decelerate.

Feel free to correct me if I'm way wrong on this, I'm not an expert in the field. :D

I do believe it is involved with both parts of the motion because of the position you end up in, going across your body. I've also heard that it's mostly an accelerator, though. My guess is he was putting undue stress on the muscle on both ends of the motion, but that is TOTALLY outside my realm of expertise.

I was literally the closest person to Peavy other than the sox coaches watching him warm up in the bullpen. He seemed very comfortable and was working on his mechanics. His 2 innings of pitching spoke for themselves, he looked great. He will be starting the season in the rotation, I'll tell you that.

I can't believe how few people were watching jake warm up. I couldn't believe it was 3 miles from my house I never thought I'd talk to Coop and be the only one watching jake warm up.

IMG_20110304_130214.jpg