Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

If Peavy's already being asked to pitch nearly as hard as he can (89-92 says that to me) and he's only down on strength, I don't see the point of having him throw those max-effort pitches in Charlotte rather than Chicago. The only reason to put him in AAA at this point is if he's ineffective with his pitching or his mechanics need major readjustment, IMO. The risk of re-injury is exactly the same in Charlotte as it is in Chicago if you're not making him dial it back.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 01:54 AM)
I was literally the closest person to Peavy other than the sox coaches watching him warm up in the bullpen. He seemed very comfortable and was working on his mechanics. His 2 innings of pitching spoke for themselves, he looked great. He will be starting the season in the rotation, I'll tell you that.

I can't believe how few people were watching jake warm up. I couldn't believe it was 3 miles from my house I never thought I'd talk to Coop and be the only one watching jake warm up.

That my friend - is flipping AWESOME.

Welcome to spring training. =)

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
I was literally the closest person to Peavy other than the sox coaches watching him warm up in the bullpen. He seemed very comfortable and was working on his mechanics. His 2 innings of pitching spoke for themselves, he looked great. He will be starting the season in the rotation, I'll tell you that.

I can't believe how few people were watching jake warm up. I couldn't believe it was 3 miles from my house I never thought I'd talk to Coop and be the only one watching jake warm up.

The original camera phone.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 04:01 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aq1k...ywhitesox030411

Passan writes a pretty good article on Peavy's start today and his recovery.

There actually has been a pitcher with an injury like Peavy's - Brent Leach. He recovered to full velocity afterward. So that's a good precedent.

Eh, I feel that is pretty much apples to oranges. But his velocity was pretty strong yesterday, so that is encouraging.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 04:01 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aq1k...ywhitesox030411

Passan writes a pretty good article on Peavy's start today and his recovery.

There actually has been a pitcher with an injury like Peavy's - Brent Leach. He recovered to full velocity afterward. So that's a good precedent.

t

The article is written with only partial information and is inaccurate. He tries to combine different ideas to sensationalize it. The injury Peavy suffered is not a tendon tear as he describes in the latter part of the article. He attempts to compare them but the detached tendon is different then a tendon tear. He states in the article that this is the worst of the tendon injuries. That is wrong again. Tearing a tendon mid-substance is much worse. that surgery is like tying two pieces of spaghetti together and it doesn't work well. Re-attaching to bone is easier to do and has better results. He calls this injury an avulsion which is wrong. An avulsion is when the tendon or ligament pulls off a piece of bone with it. Those are relatively easy to fix as you just pin the bone down and it heals like a fracture.

It's an interesting article but it seems like he got a few different sources of information and put it together quickly and confused a few of the combine topics.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I don't know anything about pitching motions, but his motion looked odd to me.

Interesting. Can you expand on that thought any?

I'm SOOO happy that his velocity wasn't around 85 or something. Then we'd be getting the whole, "Well the velocity will come, we're just happy it's pain free right now" shpeel. If he's already sitting at 90+ then I'm sure another 3 mph isn't out of the question. Just be glad he doesn't need to add 10 mph.

Merk

The morning after a very public milestone on his unprecedented comeback trail, Jake Peavy had an even bigger watershed moment in total privacy.

Peavy awoke Saturday morning feeling soreness "only in the right spots" from having pitched two hitless innings with the mended latissimus muscle behind his right shoulder.

"I feel OK. Some general soreness in all the right spots, nothing too bad," said Peavy, who had been alerted by the doctor overseeing his rehab to be on the alert for certain day-after warning signs.

He told me that if I felt certain stiffness I should 'back off.' But I don't feel any discomfort in any areas. Nothing is tender," said an obviously gratified Peavy. "I feel blessed, to be on the way back from such a traumatic injury."

Less than 20 hours after having needed 26 pitches to set down six of the seven Angels he had faced in Friday's game, Peavy conceded sensing "a little soreness in the back of the lat."

"But, as of today," he added, "there is no setback."

That means he will pitch a simulated game on Sunday, then take his next regular Cactus League turn on Wednesday against the San Francisco Giants.

Thus continues the 29-year-old's inspiring and experimental return from an extraordinary injury, climaxed thus far by his efficiency against the Angels 233 days after having lain on Dr. Anthony Romeo's operating table in Vail, Colo..

Peavy has made such steady and encouraging progress, he may need to place a "Whoa!" sign in his locker.

"At this point, we still have such a long way to go. I'm not trying to be a hero," Peavy said. "If I can break camp with the team, that would be something to get excited about. But that's not the goal.

"The goal is to be back in a part of the season where I can contribute to the success of the team. Missing the first couple of starts wouldn't be a big deal. Sure, I'd like to be able to make all 35 starts, but making 28 to 30 would be good, too."

"I have to be careful to not rush it," Peavy said. "There is a schedule to stay on. We cleared a big hurdle [with Friday's outing] but now we have to get back to reality."

Every day, Peavy's new reality appears brighter. Friday was no exception.

"I took a good step in the right direction," he summed up. "It was a big day for me."

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
t

The article is written with only partial information and is inaccurate. He tries to combine different ideas to sensationalize it. The injury Peavy suffered is not a tendon tear as he describes in the latter part of the article. He attempts to compare them but the detached tendon is different then a tendon tear. He states in the article that this is the worst of the tendon injuries. That is wrong again. Tearing a tendon mid-substance is much worse. that surgery is like tying two pieces of spaghetti together and it doesn't work well. Re-attaching to bone is easier to do and has better results. He calls this injury an avulsion which is wrong. An avulsion is when the tendon or ligament pulls off a piece of bone with it. Those are relatively easy to fix as you just pin the bone down and it heals like a fracture.

It's an interesting article but it seems like he got a few different sources of information and put it together quickly and confused a few of the combine topics.

In conclusion, leave medical journal pieces to medical professionals.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
my only concern is that his doc says it takes a year to heal and here is pitching 8 mos. later. Hope the Sox and Peavy know what they're doing.

That's an orthopedic surgeon pulling his Scotty routine from Star Trek (yes I'm old), when the pitcher comes back early he will look like a genius. I've worked with many of Romeo's patient and he's a good doc but he's still an orthopedic surgeon. He knew very well that the injury would heal in 3-4 months and then it was a matter of rehab, which most surgeons know little about. No one knew how it would go or how it will still go because it's unique for a pitcher. Everything is right on schedule for a tendon re-attachment procedure, they just need to see how the strength stands up to pitching and how many pitches he can throw.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
t

You are the MVP of the offseason, my friend.

Has anyone seriously brought more knowledge to this board since Peavy went down? The answer is no.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)

Has anyone seriously brought more knowledge to this board since Peavy went down? The answer is no.

This.

ptact, thank you so much for the knowledge you bring to this community. It's invaluable.

Seriously. I love that fact that I can come to this board knowing there are a handful of people with information/insight (regarding injuries, trade rumors, clubhouse garbage) that I can't get anywhere else. The best part is that other people know this (cough Joe Cowley) and it upsets them that Soxtalk has some amazing resources. Keep it up, guys!

He has been the only one who has been right on with the predictions, that is for sure. I know I am a believer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
He has been the only one who has been right on with the predictions, that is for sure. I know I am a believer.

Get this man a Soxtalk award!

BTW is that happening?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)

Second this - and I'd even argue that no one has brought more knowledge regarding Peavy's situation - period.

I also am in agreement with this. :cheers Thanks for sharing your knowledge.