Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
I wouldn't be. Why be content with mediocrity and hope to catch up when we play the NL? The law of averages state that our ridiculous run against NL teams will eventually slow down.

The law of averages doesn't say anything about how often you should win when playing generally inferior competition.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:13 AM)
The overreactions on this site are hilarious. No one here has any real news, yet everyone is suddenly a team physician with access to private information. STFU and wait a couple hours before you officially quit on Peavy and this team.

I dont think people are quitting on this team. The point is that everyone has been very patient with Peavy and many expect that one he is healthy he will all of a sudden become Cy Young again. Its not happening and hes likely that he will struggle to be healthy the rest of his contract. So just forget about him and move on and make decisions as if he won't contribute. If we keep waiting around for him to be a stud, we are all going to be disappointed.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
The law of averages doesn't say anything about how often you should win when playing generally inferior competition.

You have to read the fine print of that specific law.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
Never said there was anything wrong with thinking Rose > Paul. But my MJ/Reggie Miller analogy was spot on. I know it's been over a decade since we last had a superstar, but let's not act like the virgin geek going to his first strip club (in essence overrating Rose because it's been so long since we've had a player of his caliber).

:lolhitting

You have a way with analogies

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
I'll wait and see what the news is before throwing more dirt on Peavy's grave. The last time he had a setback it was nothing, and he was throwing within days.

I might be with you had he thrown 75 pitches or so. 15? C'mon now. This has gone way beyond setbacks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Damn. You don't see many facebook groups with only 59 people.

What are you waiting for? I think the 60th member gets a Fire Ozzie bumper sticker and a pack of Big League Chew.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
I might be with you had he thrown 75 pitches or so. 15? C'mon now. This has gone way beyond setbacks.

What is the generally accepted number of pitches needed for it to be an official setback, instead of just waiting to find out what happened?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
What is the generally accepted number of pitches needed for it to be an official setback, instead of just waiting to find out what happened?

I don't have an exact number. But 15 pitches? Is that even a 1-2-3 inning? At least if he had thrown 75 pitches and gone five innings you could somewhat mask his "discomfort."

Sounds like his LAT, not his shoulder:

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy left a minor league rehab start with Birmingham after just 15 pitches because of discomfort in his right lat muscle.

Monday was his third start in an attempt to return from surgery to reattach that muscle to a bone in his throwing shoulder. Peavy was expected to throw about 90 pitches over six innings but allowed three earned runs over two-thirds of an inning.

He will be evaluated this afternoon.

"When I asked him what happened," Barons manager Bobby Magallanes said, "he said he started feeling it the first couple pitches. He couldn't finish it out. Obviously he feels bad about it, but health comes first. We gotta make sure he's healthy."

So that would explain the low velocity, the meatballs he was tossing up there and the fact that he didn't want to push it if he's worried about re-injuring the surgically repaired muscle. Maybe he visits the doc and he tells him it's just scar tissue breaking up...

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
Sucks, but its still mid-April. The posts ready to write him off for the year or the whole contract already are hilarious.

I can only speak for myself. As far as J4L is concerned (yes, I'm speaking in third person), Jake Peavy is no different than a Unicorn, UFO, Alien, or some other extraterrestrial life form or being that people believe in yet there's no actual proof of its existence. I don't know what a healthy Jake Peavy is. I've never seen it. None of us have. So I can't pretend that it exists.

Edited by Jordan4life

I'll wait and see what the news is before throwing more dirt on Peavy's grave. The last time he had a setback it was nothing, and he was throwing within days.

Thank you. Everyone here has the right to be concerned about this, but to say he is done for the year is complete nonsense at this point. We have no details right now, so not even a doctor could speculate on the severity of this. Why not wait a few hours before we start the "put a fork in him for 2012" comments? I'll be just as pissed off as the rest of you if the issue turns out to be significant.

When are you all going to wake up and smell the coffee. Jake Peavy will pitch again this season, but it won't last, and he will NEVER be the Cy Young winner or anything even close to a front-of-the-rotation starter. He will be at best a 4 or 5. His fastball doesn't even pop anymore, and he was always a pitcher who relied on his "stuff" versus a guy like Buehrle who can get by without the greatest stuff. Let's just not plan on having him be a meaningful part of this team anymore, ok?

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
Agreed! Hell, at the beginning of the season, I'd be happy with a .500 record for April the way they seem to start slowly. I am not giving up on this team yet, I just may have to look away at times because it is too painful to watch. Fans have a right to boo the Sox. I have a right to boo the fans. BOOO!

Well, then they better have a ridiculous May, June and July since they always seem to end slowly, too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
First it was a shoulder and everyone was sure he was done, now its his lat and everyone is sure he is done.

How about waiting for some actual information?

The key word in all of this is waiting. Lots of waiting.

It's still another setback which will likely cause him to miss at least another month. And then during the remaining portion of his rehab, he'll probably have another setback.

I don't understand the optimism with Jake Peavy. He's been a member of this club for almost 2 years and he's been healthy for a total of about 3 months. He has been an absolute bust.

If he ever does get healthy, he really ought to sign the most extremely owner-friendly contract in the history of baseball since he's been paid like a top 5 pitcher in baseball for doing absolutely nothing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
It's still another setback which will likely cause him to miss at least another month. And then during the remaining portion of his rehab, he'll probably have another setback.

I don't understand the optimism with Jake Peavy. He's been a member of this club for almost 2 years and he's been healthy for a total of about 3 months. He has been an absolute bust.

If he ever does get healthy, he really ought to sign the most extremely owner-friendly contract in the history of baseball since he's been paid like a top 5 pitcher in baseball for doing absolutely nothing.

:notworthy

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
Sucks, but its still mid-April. The posts ready to write him off for the year or the whole contract already are hilarious.

Why, exactly? Please explain why it's hilarious to not expect this guy to pitch [well] this season or next season after which he walks. He has not been healthy for this club at all.

We could sign Mark Prior and when he eventually gets hurt, someone will still say that we shouldn't overreact until the facts are in because he could still conceivably, by some strike of luck, not have a "serious" injury.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
First it was a shoulder and everyone was sure he was done, now its his lat and everyone is sure he is done.

How about waiting for some actual information?

And yet, here were are, still waiting for this guy to throw a meaningful pitch for the Chicago White Sox.