From the old guys . . .

Texsox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I don't like how this is brought up as an old fan vs. young fan premise. There are old fans who live and die with every game and b**** about every move more than the young people on this site do and they lived through all the same bad Sox teams. Anyone who has been to a small neighborhood bar in Chicago knows that there are old fans way crazier and more intense than anyone on this site.

It just has to do with how people choose to enjoy their sports. Some let it control their life and live & die with every game. Some enjoy it for the sport it is and can step away as soon as the game is over. To each their own.

I agree. I think everyone is smart enough to realize whether the Sox win the World Series or lose 110 games, while the former is highly preferrable, the sun is still going to rise if the latter happens. As my wife tells me when she gets mad at me and thinks I'm obsessing about baseball, "Its just a bunch of un-educated men, running around in dirt, dressed in silly costumes, trying to hit a ball with a stick." She's right. There's really nothing noble about it, but its fun to watch and debate and sometimes even obsess.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like how this is brought up as an old fan vs. young fan premise. There are old fans who live and die with every game and b**** about every move more than the young people on this site do and they lived through all the same bad Sox teams. Anyone who has been to a small neighborhood bar in Chicago knows that there are old fans way crazier and more intense than anyone on this site.

It just has to do with how people choose to enjoy their sports. Some let it control their life and live & die with every game. Some enjoy it for the sport it is and can step away as soon as the game is over. To each their own.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
I agree. I think everyone is smart enough to realize whether the Sox win the World Series or lose 110 games, while the former is highly preferrable, the sun is still going to rise if the latter happens. As my wife tells me when she gets mad at me and thinks I'm obsessing about baseball, "Its just a bunch of un-educated men, running around in dirt, dressed in silly costumes, trying to hit a ball with a stick." She's right. There's really nothing noble about it, but its fun to watch and debate and sometimes even obsess.

Wait! Did you hear James Earl Jones' speech about swatting away the memories like flies at the end of Field Of Dreams? What's not noble about that? ... Being somewhat tongue in cheek here.

That does it, ANYONE who doesn't get at least a bit emotional at that scene when Kevin Costner's younger father comes back to "have a catch" with his son doesn't belong as a White Sox fan.

Just kidding. I know a lot of guys who don't like that movie. Just like everyone has their own style of fandom, you'll find a compelling argument that Bull Durham, The Bad News Bears, Major League or Eight Men Out is the best baseball movie ever made.

Five or ten years ago, I might have posted the same kind of thread about JR and the payroll being unrealistically too high. Well, in the end, does it really matter how much a bunch of rich guys want to spend on the White Sox? In the end, we have pretty minimal control as individuals about how much they spend. Although with groupon now, maybe fans can work together through social networks and will have more of a voice than ever before.

Some sage wisdom in Tex's post, but all older fans were once younger fans. I enjoy games a little differently today than 30 yers ago, but no more or less. I wonder what Tex would have thought of his post when he was 19? I also wonder if milkman will write a similiar statement when he is Tex's age.

Who cares! GO SOX!! Now and forever.

I always get a little choked up at the end of Field of Dreams, but Major League is my favorite baseball movie of all time. Major League 2 is good, but so much of it feels artificial and over the top. Aside from the fact that it's a bunch of scrubs winning the division, the events themselves seem plausible, instead of Jack Parkman hitting a home run in every playoff appearance except for the last one and Willie Mays Hayes stealing 3 bases in a row.

No doubt I would have looked at the post differently at 20. Part of that was all the angst and frustration I had as a Sox fan. If history goes in cycles instead of a series of great teams after following the team for 40 years, some of you will look back, and I hope I am wrong, and realize this is the best stretch of Whote Sox baseball. I hope some of your memories are not clouded in excessive negativity. But hoping for happy memories for people seems to bring out the hate in some people. So for those, keep under the dark cloud.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
No doubt I would have looked at the post differently at 20. Part of that was all the angst and frustration I had as a Sox fan. If history goes in cycles instead of a series of great teams after following the team for 40 years, some of you will look back, and I hope I am wrong, and realize this is the best stretch of Whote Sox baseball. I hope some of your memories are not clouded in excessive negativity. But hoping for happy memories for people seems to bring out the hate in some people. So for those, keep under the dark cloud.

The hate comes out because you constantly make smug comments like this. You do it all the time, Tex.

Like I said Milkman, I am so sorry that I urged you to have a great time at the park this summer. That was condesending. I hope you have a s***ty time at each and every game. Find a problem with everything you look at. :headbang

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
The hate comes out because you constantly make smug comments like this. You do it all the time, Tex.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Like I said Milkman, I am so sorry that I urged you to have a great time at the park this summer. That was condesending. I hope you have a s***ty time at each and every game. Find a problem with everything you look at. :headbang

At least I'm coming straight-forward with my views. You act like you're being civil, but you might take more jabs at other posters than anyone else on this site.

I wrote a heartfelt post urging people to have a great time following the Sox this summer and you s*** all over it. So fine, don't have a great time. Find fault in everything. Not taking a jab at you, just trying to meet your needs. Now, I will be putting you on ignore.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)

Yeah, have to agree with Milkman here. Tex, I'm fairly certain you created this thread with genuinely good intentions. But you keep ending each post with a snide/condescending remark. Like, "I'm going to enjoy this season and I feel sorry for you because you choose not to enjoy it the exact way I do." I'm sure you don't mean it that way. But that's how it can come across. As for me, I had originally planned to stay out of this thread. But what the hell. I've been posting here for eight years. I've never met a single solitary poster from this board. I feel like I know a lot of you, when in reality I don't know a god damned thing. I know Soxace as, well, Soxace. I know Wite as Wite. I know fathom as fathom. And coversley, you guys know me as J4L and only J4L. So if you're to go by a majority of my posts, which is all you can do, you probably come to the conclusion that I'm some angry, bitter, homicidal dude with KW/Ozzie voodoo dolls that I continuously poke at or that I sit around reading books about gypsy curses so I can place a curse on each and every member of the White Sox organization.

Now I know I've changed. I'd be a lying fool to deny that. But I'm no less or worse of a fan than I was in '05. And with all due respect, I don't need an older fan(s) to 'lead me into the light' or enlighten me to what the criteria is to being a true or dedicated fan. I love the White Sox as much as you can possibly love a baseball team. I could morph into a triple threat combo of Hawk, Ranger and 2006 Jphat tomorrow and I wouldn't love or be anymore dedicated to the team than I am this second. If I'm unhappy or upset about something, I'll let it be known. If I'm happy or elated about something, I'll let it be known. Do I go overboard at times? Sure. Do I get on other posters nerves? I'm sure I do. But it goes both ways. I won't even read a Scott Merkin piece anymore. Hawk makes me want to feed small dogs to giant snakes. I had to start ignoring (without actually ignoring) ranger aka pink fuzzy bunny, and then you obviously have a large contingent of posters that rather swallow paste than say anything negative about the organization. Does that get on my nerves? Hell yeah it does. But that's the nature of sports and especially when you're talking about message boards. Like I said the other day, this board would suck if everybody were like me, just as it would suck if we had an avalanche of pink fuzzy bunny clones (much love to Irish on that name).

I was born in '83. Therefore I obviously wasn't around in the 60's, 70's, and way too young for most of the 80's. So I can't take the, "Well, at least we're competitve every year. This is much better than the 70's" stance that the older crowd does. I've heard many times that the KW tenure has been the best run in Sox history. But when you break it down, that's not saying much. Eight missed postseasons in ten years in a division that doesn't include the Yankees or Red Sox does not a successful tenure make. There is no reason whatsoever that with the resources at their disposal and getting to play the likes of the Indians, Royals and even the Tigers, who've only been really good once in the last decade, 60+ times a year that we should be making the postseason so infrequently. No excuse at all. And the thing is I think KW knows this better than anybody.

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough. Just wanted to put that out there. Don't be so quick to label the 'pessimists' because they're not cheery and bubbly all the time. I can't wait to get this season started. Hopefully 95 wins and a postseason appearance is on the horizon.

Edit: and Tex, this post wasn't aimed at you. It was just a general response to the majority.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
Yeah, have to agree with Milkman here. Tex, I'm fairly certain you created this thread with genuinely good intentions. But you keep ending each post with a snide/condescending remark. Like, "I'm going to enjoy this season and I feel sorry for you because you choose not to enjoy it the exact way I do." I'm sure you don't mean it that way. But that's how it can come across. As for me, I had originally planned to stay out of this thread. But what the hell. I've been posting here for eight years. I've never met a single solitary poster from this board. I feel like I know a lot of you, when in reality I don't know a god damned thing. I know Soxace as, well, Soxace. I know Wite as Wite. I know fathom as fathom. And coversley, you guys know me as J4L and only J4L. So if you're to go by a majority of my posts, which is all you can do, you probably come to the conclusion that I'm some angry, bitter, homicidal dude with KW/Ozzie voodoo dolls that I continuously poke at or that I sit around reading books about gypsy curses so I can place a curse on each and every member of the White Sox organization.

Now I know I've changed. I'd be a lying fool to deny that. But I'm no less or worse of a fan than I was in '05. And with all due respect, I don't need an older fan(s) to 'lead me into the light' or enlighten me to what the criteria is to being a true or dedicated fan. I love the White Sox as much as you can possibly love a baseball team. I could morph into a triple threat combo of Hawk, Ranger and 2006 Jphat tomorrow and I wouldn't love or be anymore dedicated to the team than I am this second. If I'm unhappy or upset about something, I'll let it be known. If I'm happy or elated about something, I'll let it be known. Do I go overboard at times? Sure. Do I get on other posters nerves? I'm sure I do. But it goes both ways. I won't even read a Scott Merkin piece anymore. Hawk makes me want to feed small dogs to giant snakes. I had to start ignoring (without actually ignoring) ranger aka pink fuzzy bunny, and then you obviously have a large contingent of posters that rather swallow paste than say anything negative about the organization. Does that get on my nerves? Hell yeah it does. But that's the nature of sports and especially when you're talking about message boards. Like I said the other day, this board would suck if everybody were like me, just as it would suck if we had an avalanche of pink fuzzy bunny clones (much love to Irish on that name).

I was born in '83. Therefore I obviously wasn't around in the 60's, 70's, and way too young for most of the 80's. So I can't take the, "Well, at least we're competitve every year. This is much better than the 70's" stance that the older crowd does. I've heard many times that the KW tenure has been the best run in Sox history. But when you break it down, that's not saying much. Eight missed postseasons in ten years in a division that doesn't include the Yankees or Red Sox does not a successful tenure make. There is no reason whatsoever that with the resources at their disposal and getting to play the likes of the Indians, Royals and even the Tigers, who've only been really good once in the last decade, 60+ times a year that we should be making the postseason so infrequently. No excuse at all. And the thing is I think KW knows this better than anybody.

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough. Just wanted to put that out there. Don't be so quick to label the 'pessimists' because they're not cheery and bubbly all the time. I can't wait to get this season started. Hopefully 95 wins and a postseason appearance is on the horizon.

There's no other place to put this really, but even when we disagree I stop to read your posts. As a poster, I respect the hell out of you J4L.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
But you keep ending each post with a snide/condescending remark.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm wondering if some of you go off on a clerk that tells you to have a nice day?

Check.

Just a class act, all around.

Each consecutive post you have made tex further proves the point being made against you. Let's be honest, this has been your shtick ever since i have been a member here, which is only three weeks shy of seven years. While it may surprise others, you could say it's hardly surprising to myself. It's old hat.

Was this my business to get involved in something that did not currently involve me? Do i have the the right?

You bet your sweet bippy.

That last line is for all you old folks out there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Being older has nothing to with being smarter...

Funny thing is, as far as pure baseball knowledge, I would say it is the younger posters here who are the smartest. And yes, I know it's not as same as the "experience" argument you posted after that. (It's always good to ask the older guys here was Aparicio really that good defensively as say.. his fielding above runs average suggest)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
There's no other place to put this really, but even when we disagree I stop to read your posts. As a poster, I respect the hell out of you J4L.

I don't read his post like I read say... Kal, qwerty (cheat when he was here) or even wite for example. I read his more as pure entertainment for me, but with damn good/strong points (same as fathom). Those are the guys you respect the hell out of and what makes this site that much better IMO.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Funny thing is, as far as pure baseball knowledge, I would say it is the younger posters here who are the smartest. And yes, I know it's not as same as the "experience" argument you posted after that. (It's always good to ask the older guys here was Aparicio really that good defensively as say.. his fielding above runs average suggest)

I don't read his post like I read say... Kal, qwerty (cheat when he was here) or even wite for example. I read his more as pure entertainment for me, but with damn good/strong points (same as fathom). Those are the guys you respect the hell out of and what makes this site that much better IMO.

I never said I didn't respect Kal, qwerty, or for a matter of fact, you. The Live Chats during games basically gave me a sense of who knows what they are talking about.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)
I never said I didn't respect Kal, qwerty, or for a matter of fact, you. The Live Chats during games basically gave me a sense of who knows what they are talking about.

I was actually agreeing with you there Quinarvy.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
I read his more as pure entertainment for me, but with damn good/strong points (same as fathom). Those are the guys you respect the hell out of and what makes this site that much better IMO.

J4L is a flaming turd and a now appears to be a hardcore pessimist but at least he offers original baseball opinions on this baseball message board rather than wasting post after post s***ting on others and using smilies to agitate those whom he feels a false sense of superiority over. I'd say that's respectable.