Could Kenny be looking for a new closer already?

southsider2k5

http://www.thesportsbank.net/chicago-white...e-for-a-closer/

After the Chicago White Sox loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday, 670 A.M. the Score broadcasters Ed Farmer and Darin Jackson indicated that GM Kenny Williams is likely going to be on the phone exploring ways to fix the back end of his bullpen. As the Sox blew another two-run lead in the ninth, it is obvious something needs to change. Just two days after White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he would likely stick with Matt Thornton as his closer, he brought in rookie Chris Sale. Sale quickly got into trouble, so he turned to Thornton, who blew his 4th save in as many chances.

Here are the top trade candidates followed by possible internal solutions within the organization who might to assume the role.

Near-term Trade Market

Joel Hanrahan

The Pirates would love to turn closing duties over to Evan Meek at some point. As Hanrahan makes $1.4 million this season, it would not be beyond the realm of possibility for him to be traded. He has allowed just one earned run in 5 1/3 inning so far this season and has gone a perfect 4 for 4 in save chances.

Rafael Soriano

Soriano was signed by the Yankees to a $10 million contract against the advice of GM Brian Cashman, and has struggled in the first two weeks of the season transitioning from closer to set-up man. Sound like a familiar problem in reverse? His velocity is down and he has a 9.82 ERA in 4 appearances. His $1.5 million option year buy-out makes him an unlikely option unless the Yankees were to eat significant salary. That would mean a top prospect in return.

MLB Trade Dead-line Targets

If the White Sox can get by until the MLB trade deadline approaches, it should be a buyer’s market for closers this year.

Depending on their team’s standings, several closers could be moved as they will be free agents at the end of the 2011 season.

They include:

Heath Bell

Jonathan Broxton

Matt Capps

Francisco Cordero

Octavio Dotel

Frank Francisco

Ryan Franklin

Mike Gonzalez

Jonathan Papelbon

Jose Valverde

GM Kenny Williams has a good trade history with the Padres, so could a Heath Bell deal make sense?

Internal Candidates

Sergio Santos- Pick to Click

The most popular closer-in-waiting name bantered among Sox fans during a Soxman social media poll yesterday was Sergio Santos. Beware: He has only been a pitcher for two years, converting from a shortstop and has never closed before. However, he has electric stuff and is yet to be scored upon in 7.2 IP this season. He’s also an underdog and is used to proving people wrong. In 2010, Baseball prospectus said he had the best fastball of anyone in the Sox farm system. His 9 strikeout validate that. He has earned a shot.

Chris Sale

Sale has nine strikeouts in seven IP this season and is 5 for 6 in save chances thus far in his career. He was given the save opportunity Saturday after Matt Thornton allowed five unearned runs to the Tampa Rays last Friday but struggled today. Could the Sox “sail away” with Sale or plot a course for him back to AAA?

Jesse Crain

Crain doesn’t have any closing experience, but he had a 3.04 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP in 71 appearances for the Twins last season. Think about this, if Ron Gardenhire didn’t have faith to give him the ball in the ninth after the Twins lost Joe Nathan to Tommy John surgery last season, should the Sox?

AAA

Brian Bruney

The Charlotte Knights closer was a favorite to make the team during spring training. He had a 7.64 ERA for the Nationals last season. He had some success with the Yankees but has bounced around the majors and minors since, struggling with injuries and finding the strike zone.

Matt Thornton has been one of the best set-up men in the game the last three years and was an All-Star in 2010 because of it. While he still might be able to close, Sox fans might feel better putting him back in the spot where he has thrived.

In “closing,” before you think Ozzie Guillen will quickly make a change at the backend of the bullpen, remember he used to say the same things about using Thornton as his closer in 2010 when Bobby Jenks struggled but ultimately kept going back to the “big guy.”

If the MLB trade deadline were tomorrow, who would you want to see the White Sox acquire?

Heath Bell...wait until June/July

Jonathan Broxton...umm, for our entire minor league system?

Matt Capps...why would the Twins trade him to us?

Francisco Cordero...too expensive in terms of contract and asking price

Octavio Dotel...umm, no, he wasn't capable of doing it for us in 2008 or 2009

Frank Francisco...no thanks, even though the FO is pretty familiar with him

Ryan Franklin...I would rather use Jesse Crain, which isn't saying much

Mike Gonzalez...another lefty?

Jonathan Papelbon...would be ironic if Jenks took over that role (he'd have to pass Bard) and Papelbon changed "Sox" too

Jose Valverde...Tigers trading him to us, maybe if they're 15 games back, but doubtful and expensive

s*** speculators, got a speculate.

Anyway Im not sure that I really think those names have better stuff than Santos or Sale. When you look at the Sox pen, they basically have 2 guys who you could replace/send down that make sense, Pena and Ohman. Im pretty sure that when Peavy comes back, Humber will take one of those spots.

I like Sale, Thornton, Santos, I just think they need to wake up.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Doesn't feel like it's just a closer issue to me. We've been watching this pen give up runs starting in the 7th inning on. If only it were just one guy I'd be happy, knowing they could turn it around.

I think the pen is just tense right now...we're seeing the results of folks not knowing their roles and the mental havoc that can play on pitchers. I think that obtaining a closer (Hanrahan please!) would really get the rest of the pen back on track quickly as they no longer feel like every appearance is a tryout for a bullpen position.

If I had to make a prediction right now I'd say Kenny will acquire Brandon League. Just a feeling. Seems like a Kenny target, and League should be available. Make the deal and then extend him as a closer.

Otherwise I think it'll be Frank Francisco or K-Rod. I could see Hanrahan too, he's another typical Kenny target. Kenny will get a reliever.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
If I had to make a prediction right now I'd say Kenny will acquire Brandon League. Just a feeling. Seems like a Kenny target, and League should be available. Make the deal and then extend him as a closer.

Otherwise I think it'll be Frank Francisco or K-Rod. I could see Hanrahan too, he's another typical Kenny target. Kenny will get a reliever.

Probably June at the earliest, but at this point in time, Ozzie may as well anoint the next person who successfully completes a save as the closer and just stick with him.