fire walker

lord chas

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Agreed with this. Coming into the season we had exactly 2 concerns: a shaky back-end of the bullpen (not too big a deal), and wondering if Morel could handle full-time 3b duties.

We have 100 more questions now, but I cannot blame KW for this.

I'll give the sox 125 more games if they haven't changed for the better by then I'm going to give up on the Sox.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (forrestg @ May 2, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
I'll give the sox 125 more games if they haven't changed for the better by then I'm going to give up on the Sox.

You're going to give up on your favorite team, for good, if they have one disappointing season? Sheesh

Guillen and Walker both need to go. I've wanted both of them gone for several years now. The DH nonsense last season was the nail in the coffin with me for Guillen. There was no logical reason to think having Mark Kotsay get the majority of your AB's at DH would be a good thing. Yet Guillen has to do everything his way. He's committed to an NL style team and refuses to adjust his strategy. Perfect example is Juan Pierre. The guy has stopped hitting much and has now been caught stolen 7 times versus 5 successful attempts. Yet Guillen plays him everyday, in the leadoff spot, and allows him to run wild into more outs. It actually disgusts me. Even Phil Rogers has been calling Guillen out for batting Pierre leadoff, so you know the issue is obvious. Pierre should be batting 9th or preferrably on the bench. This is just one of the many examples of Guillen being stubborn and refusing to make the appropriate adjustments. He needs to be gone and soon, because I strongly believe almost anyone out there with some coaching experience would do a better job.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
Dead last in runs allowed and 11th in ERA - they have already allowed 18 unearned runs - so that's not all on the pitching staff. Beyond that, the White Sox pitching staff has been really good over the past few years. It was only the 8th best in the league last year, but was 4.09 overall. In 2009, it was 4.14, which was 2nd best; 4.06 in 2008, good for 6th. It was really bad in 2007 but they didn't have a lot of talent on that staff either. It struggled in 2006 but much of that is thought to be due to the deep World Series run the year before, where they were tied for the best ERA in the league.

The offense consistently does what it is currently doing, where it goes completely dead for an extended period of time before waking up a bit for the summer months, only to fall by the wayside again late in the year. Young players continue to struggle upon arriving with the Sox too, which is not a good sign. It just doesn't seem that he is properly preparing these hitters for each game. I've seen where he works really hard at his job, but at some point hard work has to be met with results, and it hasn't.

A change wouldn't be a bad thing, but I honestly don't care either way. I do think Coop has earned some slack, especially for the work he's done with young pitchers

Yeah, Coop has several reclamation projects under his belt, he's earned some slack.

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 2, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
For me, I don't think firing both Ozzie and KW together makes much sense. The organization needs to choose a philosophy and stick with it. Are we going to try and be a small ball team, or live/die with the big hit/HRs. The last 10 years have shown us that when this team enjoys any measure of success, it's through power and big hitters. NOBODY in this organization is capable of even teaching small ball, yet here is Ozzie calling for bunts, and steals, and hit and runs in bad count situation while we squander outs and baserunners with no results.

Hell, even in the 2005!!1!!! we hit 200HRs.

Now we have yet another team that is built for power and we're not scoring.

Without dredging up all the other bulls*** that Ozzie brings to the table with his antics, the simple fact is that he is not managing to the strengths of the team as constructed and even with a real DH this time, we see the same "trash garbage".

I'd like to see him go and a double whammy of him and Walker together hitting the road would be ideal.

My .02.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Just read an article on Larry Walker in Denver Post -- He is out of baseball and would love a coaching gig. He had one of the best five year runs of all time (1997-2001). reat hitter, great defensive OF, etc.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 3, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
Just read an article on Larry Walker in Denver Post -- He is out of baseball and would love a coaching gig. He had one of the best five year runs of all time (1997-2001). reat hitter, great defensive OF, etc.

At least that way the 'Fire Walker' threads would live on.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 3, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)

Exactly, Larry Walker was actually a good hitter when he played unlike Greg (see below):

Career G AB R H 2B 3B HR GRSL RBI BB IBB SO SH SF HBP GIDP AVG OBP SLG

9 Years 855 2,864 368 746 164 19 113 2 444 268 28 520 3 22 20 61 .260 .326 .449

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Exactly, Larry Walker was actually a good hitter when he played unlike Greg (see below):

Good hitters don't automatically make good hitting coaches, just as they don't automatically make bad hitting coaches or bad hitters automatically make good hitting coaches.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
Good hitters don't automatically make good hitting coaches, just as they don't automatically make bad hitting coaches or bad hitters automatically make good hitting coaches.

I'll take my chances with a career .313 BA and .965 OPS over 17 seasons and no track record vs. a very average hitter over 9 seasons and bad track record as a coach any day...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
I'll take my chances with a career .313 BA and .965 OPS over 17 seasons and no track record vs. a very average hitter over 9 seasons and bad track record as a coach any day...

Milkman FTW.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/...coaching_staffs

Check out this list, which includes hitting and pitching coaches, and convince that being able to do something well, and being able to teach something aren't two completely different things.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
Milkman FTW.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/...coaching_staffs

Check out this list, which includes hitting and pitching coaches, and convince that being able to do something well, and being able to teach something aren't two completely different things.

Hear ya, but some good names on that list along with the journeymen. Respect that you religiously defend the status quo ... I would continue to argue that it's clearly not working and what's the downside in trying something else? Plenty of qualified people for that position, like Larry, who are worth a shot and would be hard-pressed to do worse than Greg has

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)

Can Larry Walker bring Coors Field with him?

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Hear ya, but some good names on that list along with the journeymen. Respect that you religiously defend the status quo ... I would continue to argue that it's clearly not working and what's the downside in trying something else? Plenty of qualified people for that position, like Larry, who are worth a shot and would be hard-pressed to do worse than Greg has

There is "defending the status quo" and there is just making stuff up. The history of baseball has shown there is vitrually zero correlation between being a great hitter, and being able to teach hitting. I'm going to go with history here, versus some odd random man-crush.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Can Larry Walker bring Coors Field with him?

vs. the Cell, what's the difference come summer time??? :lolhitting

Doesn't help you hit for AVG or draw walks

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
vs. the Cell, what's the difference come summer time??? :lolhitting

Doesn't help you hit for AVG or draw walks

The dimensions of Coors Field allows for a lot more basehits because the field of play is so big.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
There is "defending the status quo" and there is just making stuff up. The history of baseball has shown there is vitrually zero correlation between being a great hitter, and being able to teach hitting. I'm going to go with history here, versus some odd random man-crush.

I don't have any bid specifically for Walker, I was just replying to someone else's idea. Again, avoiding the point, which is that as the history buff that you are, no one is making-up Greg Walker's performance. Hard to argue for that, but keep running with it if ya like...

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't have any bid specifically for Walker, I was just replying to someone else's idea. Again, avoiding the point, which is that as the history buff that you are, no one is making-up Greg Walker's performance. Hard to argue for that, but keep running with it if ya like...

Despite what you are turning it into, it has nothing to do with Greg Walker's performance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Despite what you are turning it into, it has nothing to do with Greg Walker's performance.

Title of Post: "fire walker: it has to be done"

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Title of Post: "fire walker: it has to be done"

That would be the title of the thread.

The responses I made were to the idea that Larry Walker would be a good hitting coach because he was a good hitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
That would be the title of the thread.

The responses I made were to the idea that Larry Walker would be a good hitting coach because he was a good hitter.

Right, which was someone else's point, to which I was making the point that anyone would be better than Walker (the point of the thread) and that I would certainly take my chances on a good hitter with no track record vs. an average hitter with a poor track record. Regardless, you win. :notworthy

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 3, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Right, which was someone else's point, to which I was making the point that anyone would be better than Walker (the point of the thread) and that I would certainly take my chances on a good hitter with no track record vs. an average hitter with a poor track record. Regardless, you win. :notworthy

I would not be a better hitting coach than Greg Walker. Your point is invalid.