Hawk and Wimpy Reunite

dmbjeff

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
In all honesty, I think Hawk actually died or retired years ago. They just have a technician in the booth working a soundboard with Stone. It has a bunch of pre-recorded rants and uninteresting stories and all of his standard sayings.

Hadn't thought of that, but it fits. Maybe the most insightful post in a long time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
You're correct, it does.

But it takes a bigger man to make a mistake and then admit he was wrong later.

Bigger man, my ass. Hawk is the last person on Earth I'd ever refer to as a "bigger man". If the higher ups brought Wimpy back for a series and told him to shut his mouth about it and offer a weak apology, then I'm sure he would just go along with it because he's a company guy and knows his place.

I'm also willing to bet that Wimpy hasn't seriously forgiven him for it (again I don't think Hawk was serious about his apology, as nobody would joke about a person who was molested unless they were absolutely a bad person), but he does it to collect the check that I'm sure he could use.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Bigger man, my ass. Hawk is the last person on Earth I'd ever refer to as a "bigger man". If the higher ups brought Wimpy back for a series and told him to shut his mouth about it and offer a weak apology, then I'm sure he would just go along with it because he's a company guy and knows his place.

I'm also willing to bet that Wimpy hasn't seriously forgiven him for it (again I don't think Hawk was serious about his apology, as nobody would joke about a person who was molested unless they were absolutely a bad person), but he does it to collect the check that I'm sure he could use.

WTF? The higher ups? Told him to do something?

He basically went off to broadcast for the Nationals for a few years and then quasi-retired. He doesn't need to be coming back to broadcast games if he doesn't want to.

Where on Earth did you come up with the idea that he's some sort of slave to the Sox corporation? Are you just at the point of assuming that anyone and everyone that ever associates with the team is that way?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)

He basically went off to broadcast for the Nationals for a few years and then quasi-retired. He doesn't need to be coming back to broadcast games if he doesn't want to.

Where on Earth did you come up with the idea that he's some sort of slave to the Sox corporation? Are you just at the point of assuming that anyone and everyone that ever associates with the team is that way?

I think he meant Hawk would shut his mouth and be a company man.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)

Coming from a guy who made a joke about killing kids last week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)

Haha, went a little off the deep end there, though.

Yeah, it's really pretty easy to have a joke get really carried away and be a complete non-reflection of the teller's actual sentiments. I've definitely said things (and I'm pretty sure we probably all have) that if we were in the public eye and they got out, our reputations would probably be ruined. And we're not even sure what exactly was said, how it was said, etc.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Coming from a guy who made a joke about killing kids last week.

I'm not saying I'm a good person. I could care less about Muammar Gaddafi's grandchildren. Are they even "kids" anyway? I mean, Gaddafi is 68. His grandchildren could be in their 20's.

The key difference is that Hawk was told something very personal in and turned around and made it public and a joke.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Yeah, it's really pretty easy to have a joke get really carried away and be a complete non-reflection of the teller's actual sentiments. I've definitely said things (and I'm pretty sure we probably all have) that if we were in the public eye and they got out, our reputations would probably be ruined. And we're not even sure what exactly was said, how it was said, etc.

I'm sorry, there's no need to ever bring up another person's molestation to anyone but said person.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
I'm sorry, there's no need to ever bring up another person's molestation to anyone but said person.

No one's disputing this statement as far as I can tell.

Here's the question. You do something or say something extremely offensive to someone that you later regret. It deeply harms another person. Pick the topic. In this case, molestation, but you could go with any other number of them.

If you did that, are you forever beyond redemption?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
No one's disputing this statement as far as I can tell.

Here's the question. You do something or say something extremely offensive to someone that you later regret. It deeply harms another person. Pick the topic. In this case, molestation, but you could go with any other number of them.

If you did that, are you forever beyond redemption?

For some things, yes.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:28 AM)
Man, I have missed Wimpy in the box with Hawk. Brings back old, great memories tonight.

It seemed like Hawk was a different guy calling the game with Wimpy tonight. I am a big fan of Stoney but hearing Hawk and Wimpy together tonight felt so right. I'm really going to enjoy the next 2 games. Hopefully the team helps the cause with 2 more wins.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 13, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Wow that's awesome! I used to go to the Abbey after Christmas every year as a kid, I loved it (my parents had their honeymoon there and kept going back because they would get killer deals around Dec. 27th every year).

The Abbey is awesome.

QUOTE (CarlosMartinez @ May 13, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
It seemed like Hawk was a different guy calling the game with Wimpy tonight. I am a big fan of Stoney but hearing Hawk and Wimpy together tonight felt so right. I'm really going to enjoy the next 2 games. Hopefully the team helps the cause with 2 more wins.

This^^

Hawk and Wimpy were a great tandem. It has been a long time since I enjoyed listening to the commentators of a Sox game. Stone is a brilliant baseball man, but I think Hawk and Stone both have high ego personalities that need to be paired with a guy like Wimpy who is relaxed and easygoing but confident enough in his own being not to get pushed around or get hazed. I loved listening to the old pair last night.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Yikes. The whole thing between Hawk and Wimpy is pretty low of Hawk, but to call the guy a piece of human garbage? Did he run over your dog or something? It's one thing not to like his announcing, but that doesn't make him a bad guy.

Its never been confirmed the story was even true, but haters are gonna hate, so if you're not a fan of Hawk, there's no chance it isn't true. I have a hard time believing Wimpy would ever sit next to him again if it were true, and while Wimpy is a very nice man, he has had a dark side, perhaps caused by no fault of his own.

I'd give the chances of the story being true less than 1%. Wimpy wouldn't have called Hawk to tell him he was quitting. He wouldn't have called him on Hawk Harrelson day, and he certainly wouldn't be working with him now if it were true, apology or not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
Its never been confirmed the story was even true, but haters are gonna hate, so if you're not a fan of Hawk, there's no chance it isn't true. I have a hard time believing Wimpy would ever sit next to him again if it were true, and while Wimpy is a very nice man, he has had a dark side, perhaps caused by no fault of his own.

I'd give the chances of the story being true less than 1%. Wimpy wouldn't have called Hawk to tell him he was quitting. He wouldn't have called him on Hawk Harrelson day, and he certainly wouldn't be working with him now if it were true, apology or not.

Money. And as far as I'm concerned, all of your other points are as much speculation as you consider the original story.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Money. And as far as I'm concerned, all of your other points are as much speculation as you consider the original story.

It all urban legend. Just find one legit story on it. You'll never find it. Someone threw it out on some message board and if that happens it has to be true.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
This^^

Hawk and Wimpy were a great tandem. It has been a long time since I enjoyed listening to the commentators of a Sox game. Stone is a brilliant baseball man, but I think Hawk and Stone both have high ego personalities that need to be paired with a guy like Wimpy who is relaxed and easygoing but confident enough in his own being not to get pushed around or get hazed. I loved listening to the old pair last night.

It's cool the way Wimpy jumped in and yelled 'yes' on the "put it on the board, yes' call on Paulie's

blast.

Stoney won't do it, which is fine. Stoney's a pro, but it was cool hearing Wimpy jump in as

DJ did.

Stone is a pro but I don't feel real comfortable with a broadcast with him and Hawk. D.J. was a real beginner when he first started but improved quite a bit, but never was as good as Drydale and Hawk and then Paciorek and Hawk.

I have been tired of Hawk for some time now, and I hope he retires soon. Maybe Paciorek and Stone could make a good team. The best man overall for listening to was John Rooney.

If something occurred between Hawk and Wimpy I'm glad two baseball lifers with a long history have patched things up.

5 games behind K.C. lets get them and then the Tigers. GO SOX!!

QUOTE (since56 @ May 15, 2011 -> 07:22 AM)
Stone is a pro but I don't feel real comfortable with a broadcast with him and Hawk. D.J. was a real beginner when he first started but improved quite a bit, but never was as good as Drydale and Hawk and then Paciorek and Hawk.

I have been tired of Hawk for some time now, and I hope he retires soon. Maybe Paciorek and Stone could make a good team. The best man overall for listening to was John Rooney.

If something occurred between Hawk and Wimpy I'm glad two baseball lifers with a long history have patched things up.

5 games behind K.C. lets get them and then the Tigers. GO SOX!!

Few things are more subjective between reasonable, intelligent people than the opinions on a team's announcers. I like Hawk, despite the rants, umpire bellyaching and blatant homerism, because he's COLORFUL. There's no denying that several of his catch phrases have made it into the popular baseball lexicon.

On the other hand, I find Rooney to be incredibly boring, and Ed Farmer's monitone is absolutely grating. To each his own, I guess.