Gamethread: 6/26/2011, 1:10 p.m.; Nationals @ White Sox

maggsmaggs

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
How come big leaguers can't hit this soft tosser?

If it's so "different" facing a 60 mph fastball, s***, why don't more scouts just draft guys who lob it up there?

Adam Dunn might consider changing his weird batting stance where the bat bends behind his neck. He needs to attack the ball against this soft tosser and he's taking pitches? Be aggressive, Adam.

Again, you've got to be careful having a guy change what he's always done when what he's always done has always worked to the tune of 350 home runs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
I don't like Gordon Beckham anymore.

The only likeable Beckham is the guy who gets on the torrid hot streak for a few weeks.

Otherwise, yuk.

He's a good fielder though, and overall probably an average hitter for the position.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Thank God. He's like the Jesse Orosco of hitters. There's something in his game that's kept him employed for 23 years, but that doesn't make him a HOFer.

In the fangraphs world, Omar has 48.5 WAR in his career. While that's not first ballot, it's at least borderline...and interpreting it is hampered by the fact that there isn't good defensive video for most of teh 90's when he played his best defensive ball. When you factor that in, he ranks well.

Over at FanGraphs.com, there is a section with sortable career stats. If you select the "SS" tab, and then select the "Value" tab...and then sort by "Positional Value", Vizquel's name is 6th all-time on the Shortstop list in terms of overall value. The number shown there incorporates batting skills, fielding skills and runs over placement level. He is behind only the likes of Luis Aparicio (HOF), Rabbit Maranville (HOF), Luke Appling (HOF), Bill Dahlen, and Ozzie Smith (HOF). If you sort by "replacement value", which is something that incorporates Vizquel's year-in, year-out health alongside his fielding and hitting abilities (read more here), Vizquel is 4th all-time among shortstops behind only Cal Ripken Jr., Robin Yount and Honus Wagner. That's some pretty good company.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
How come big leaguers can't hit this soft tosser?

If it's so "different" facing a 60 mph fastball, s***, why don't more scouts just draft guys who lob it up there?

I found some success in Little League and High School by just throwing lob balls. Well, I held it like it was a two-seam fastball. Everybody else thought it was a changeup. Either way, they couldn't hit it...

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
Again, you've got to be careful having a guy change what he's always done when what he's always done has always worked to the tune of 350 home runs.

True, but at some point you might think he's lost the bat speed and might switch a bit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
We've all been pining for Viciedo over Pierre. I think it's just about time to sit Adam for a week or 10 days and let Dayan DH. Because Juan ain't goin' nowhere. I think Ozzie MIGHT sit Dunn.

I fear what is going to happen when we return to AL play and need a DH to compete.

I'm not taking any success in IL play too seriously. Whether we're at home (in which case the visiting NL team rarely has a good DH) or away, IL play masks lack of production from our DH position.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
In the fangraphs world, Omar has 48.5 WAR in his career. While that's not first ballot, it's at least borderline...and interpreting it is hampered by the fact that there isn't good defensive video for most of teh 90's when he played his best defensive ball. When you factor that in, he ranks well.

I'd say 65-75 WAR is Hall of Fame worthy. Considering how long Omar's played and he's still not at the 50 mark, I give him a very big "meh". If he makes it in, good for him, but I wouldn't vote him in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
Lillibridge's swing this year seems like one of the shortest on our roster.

Not to me. He's struck out 32 times in 107 at bats. He uses that huge bat and takes a huge hack at it.

11 of his 29 hits are extra base. He thinks he's a power hitter which is OK for a utility guy I guess.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
He's a good fielder though, and overall probably an average hitter for the position.

I don't care what position it is; there is nothing average about a .228 BA. That just stinks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
God damn Phil Humber. Makin' me look more foolish every start. And yet Dunn has deprived me of my baseball spirit.

I'm confident that Humber is Loaiza part 2.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
I don't care what position it is; there is nothing average about a .228 BA. That just stinks.

True.

I meant when all is said and done on the season he'll have stats prolly average for a 2B.