Kenny Hollywood Say Something

Marty34

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:05 AM)
I just don't see JR firing KW. Some serious accountability would be nice. Heck JR wouldn't even fire Paxson during the brutal Bull's years.

Bulls were only bad for one year during Paxson's tenure and that's when he cleaned up after Krause. Other than that, the Bulls have been in the playoffs for all but one year.

Yeah, like Javy, Rios, Swisher and Orlando Cabrera were. Make-up and the mental side of the game are often a lot more important than pure physical talent.

Heck, that's the main reason Daniel Hudson was traded....because he wasn't "tough enough" for the pennant race last year.

But Edwin Jackson and one of the roving instructors (Darryl Boston) seemed to think it was perfectly okay to laugh and play/joke around at the end of game yesterday...the laugh's really on the fans for ever believing in them.

And Jackson sure hasn't been "Chicago tough" this year. Dunn, too.

With Gavin Floyd, he has the same "mental" issues that Alexei Ramirez is constantly being sniped at with or accused of lacking....something "missing" upstairs that all the great players seem to have.

I just don't get why our team has so many players you have to question their mental approach to the game. Beckham, Rios, Quentin...the list goes on and on. Seemingly the only players who have conquered this issue are Buehrle, Konerko and AJ, ironically the only players still left from 2005. And Konerko had an immense struggle mentally to get to the current "autopilot" that he's on.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we really started to lose to the Twins in 2009. By that time, the majority of the 2005 team had already been deconstructed and sent packing. The only other players still around at that time were Jenks and Dye.

Greg Hibbard pointed out that the Tigers were something like 15-30 against us in the middle of the decade. That's okay, as long as you beat the other teams in the division...and they did reach the World Series in 2006, after all. But 7-30? The Tigers still won twice as many games as we have against the Twins...and the Twins' teams in 2009 and 2011 were nowhere near as good as that 05-06-07 Tigers team in terms of overall talent. In the back of their minds, they just EXPECTED the Twins to come back yesterday and that the game was far from over, you just had a feeling, despite all the good vibes from the offensive explosion. Someone wrote something to that effect in the game thread, and they were right on target with their prediction of an impending implosion.

Edited by caulfield12

Javy and Rios, sure. But in fairness, although Cabrera and Swisher happened to be dicks, they've been winners just about everyplace else. Boston and NY are'nt all that easy to play in either.

Also, I heard a soundbite from Kenny just yesterday. SOS about the Sox not playing up to their "talent." Yawn.

Peavy is the other player who seems to "get it."

Unfortunately, without his best stuff, he's just an average pitcher in the AL, more like a 4th starter.

From everything you read about that injury, just like TJ, it's expected that eventually full capacity will be there at 100% over the next 12 months...improving as he builds up his strength, muscle memory, getting better and better, but it's not there yet and he probably pushed himself too hard again. The coaching staff absolutely has to reign him in, or they'll completely destroy any benefit we might be receiving from that contract in 2012 and 2013.

Edited by caulfield12

wait a minute

about 75 % of people love the moves kennys makes the time the deals are done BUT if they dont pan out KW is an idiot,which there are some moves that backfired(gio,hudson.C young) but ALOMST everybody loved it when the sox got DUNN,Peavy,Rios so i really dont know of a perfect GM but i do know KW shouldnt be blamed for player not DOING THERE JOBS........

Dunn and Peavy, yes.

Rios, not so much. Everyone in baseball (message board fans included) knew the pro's and con's with Rios.

It was a huge financial gamble, largely caused by failure on the part of KW to competently develop a CF internally (namely, Brian Anderson).

And there were lots of concerns about Peavy's delivery/mechanics, pitching in the AL and being acquired while injured. But yeah, most applauded the move because at the time we were giving up what amounted to a long reliever/5th starter, Poreda (who most had already given up on as a starter at that point), Russell and Carter. So it was a very low cost in terms of talent surrendered for a former Cy Young winner. That's a move most fanbases would get behind, as long as they weren't writing the checks personally.

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
wait a minute

about 75 % of people love the moves kennys makes the time the deals are done BUT if they dont pan out KW is an idiot,which there are some moves that backfired(gio,hudson.C young) but ALOMST everybody loved it when the sox got DUNN,Peavy,Rios so i really dont know of a perfect GM but i do know KW shouldnt be blamed for player not DOING THERE JOBS........

Peavy, Rios, and Dunn to a lesser extent were gambles made necessary by a GM who has not built a solid organization.

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
wait a minute

Rios was questionable at best. If he really was so great, he wouldn't have been let go for nothing. I loved the Peavy trade personally and it still may work out OK. Its not like Clayton Richard is going to the HOF. As for Dunn, no one could possibly see a drop of this magnitude. There were some warning signs there, but still........anyway, had KW overruled OG and said you know what, Mark Kotsay DHing isn't really a good idea, and re signed Jim Thome for peanuts, a couple of things may have happened. Maybe the Sox win with Thome and Twins without him. If he had the year he had, maybe he brings him back for 600 and doesn't go after Dunn.

The bottom line is KW gets paid a ton of money to make the decisions, fans don't get squat. KW has a bloated payroll and a team that just doesn't click. Ultimately fans will love the trades and signings that work out and will not like the ones that do not, even if they thought at the time it was the right thing to do. That's life.

I think its time KW and OG move on. This entire circus needs to be closed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Rios was questionable at best. If he really was so great, he wouldn't have been let go for nothing. I loved the Peavy trade personally and it still may work out OK. Its not like Clayton Richard is going to the HOF. As for Dunn, no one could possibly see a drop of this magnitude. There were some warning signs there, but still........anyway, had KW overruled OG and said you know what, Mark Kotsay DHing isn't really a good idea, and re signed Jim Thome for peanuts, a couple of things may have happened. Maybe the Sox win with Thome and Twins without him. If he had the year he had, maybe he brings him back for 600 and doesn't go after Dunn.

The bottom line is KW gets paid a ton of money to make the decisions, fans don't get squat. KW has a bloated payroll and a team that just doesn't click. Ultimately fans will love the trades and signings that work out and will not like the ones that do not, even if they thought at the time it was the right thing to do. That's life.

I never had a problem with the Peavy trade and still dont.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:14 AM)
In the back of their minds, they just EXPECTED the Twins to come back yesterday and that the game was far from over, you just had a feeling, despite all the good vibes from the offensive explosion. Someone wrote something to that effect in the game thread, and they were right on target with their prediction of an impending implosion.

I'm just shocked that one of our own would predict such a demise and jinx us like that. In a gamethread no less.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)

1) Borchard becomes a franchise player and there's no need to trade for either Thome or Swisher probably. We already had Dye to supply RF power.

That would also have allowed us to hold onto Gio Gonzalez.

2) If any of our pitchers drafted around 1998-2001 had worked out (Rauch, Ginter, Wells, Fogg, Danny Wright, Barcelo, Stumm, Brian West)....then there would have been no need to trade for Javy. As it was, we already had Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland and McCarthy. Adding that sixth pitcher never made a whole lot of sense to me, because we traded Chris Young and Anderson wasn't able to get the job done.

3) If we had kept Thome for 2010, there's no doubt in my mind we would have won the division.

It seems overly simplistic, but if we'd managed to develop Borchard into what Dunn actually became AND kept Chris Young in the fold, things would look very different right now.

That would have avoided the entire Rios debacle as well.

Whatever they do, after learning their lesson with Hudson last year, they absolutely cannot trade Viciedo as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
FWIW,

Peter Gammons was on a Boston radio show this morning and said he expects Ozzie to be fired during the ASB. He said he may be managing the Marlins in a week and also mentioned KW knows his ass is on the line as well.

do you have a link? Whats the radio show called?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
I'm just shocked that one of our own would predict such a demise and jinx us like that. In a gamethread no less.

Well, at least Ozzie hasn't blamed negativity from SoxTalk for the White Sox record against the Twins.

I wonder if the WSI board is having a total meltdown about right now. It's getting harder and harder by the day, hour and minute to defend the organization.

To me, the mood around here is more or less calm and resigned. Unfortunately, that seems to be the same attitude as the players and manager have. "We'll just have to work harder. We'll get it going after the break. It's still early, blah blah blah..."

There's just no sense of urgency or fight visible. Except for the vow by Dunn and Rios to "put the team on their shoulders and carry the Sox in the 2nd half."

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)
For some reason Cowley or Oney come to mind when I read this thread.

The trick would be asking the OP's opinion on whether Ozzie should get fired or not . If he avoids it like a vampire avoiding garlic or says Oz should still keep his job(gasp), then you know he's Cowley or Oney incognito.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
FWIW,

Peter Gammons was on a Boston radio show this morning and said he expects Ozzie to be fired during the ASB. He said he may be managing the Marlins in a week and also mentioned KW knows his ass is on the line as well.

I'm guessing, hoping, that PG has more than just a hunch. We'll know soon enough, I suppose.

It will be a sad end to a great era of White Sox history, but at some point change is the only option, and the only thing that has a chance at instilling urgency in a not-quite-ova season.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I would be stunned if Ozzie was fired. But fully supportive. Would it make sense to fire Ozzie and than turn the reigns over to Cora? Or if you fire Ozzie do you bring in an outside replacement, who isn't so connected to Ozzie, as the mgr.