Jeter gets #3,000 on a HR

knightni

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
I think Jeter's ESPNization as a national product really lead to a backlash from people who hate the Yankees, which is pretty much everyone outside of NYC and transplanted NYers.

Yup.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Basically ESPN & the media have overrated him so much, that many people have underrated him as a result. He's definitely on the decline now, but he was a heck of a ballplayer for about a 15-year stretch. HOF lock.

Yup.

Perfectly said guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Now I think Jeter is as overrated as anybody, but that is a bit harsh.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
My thoughts exactly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
It's just wrong.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphsw.aspx?play...ayerid5=1013846

Fringe.

QUOTE (zirc @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)

So it's Jeter's fault that the Hall of Fame committee severely underrated both Trammell and Whitaker? Because Larkin will be in the Hall of Fame.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphsw.aspx?play...ayerid5=1010978

Ripken is clearly superior. I would say Jeter is superior to both Smith and Alomar, who were elected on their first (with 91.7% of the votes) and second times (with 90% of the votes) respectively.

Considering all of the intangible aspects of Jeter's career - that he was a classy player, always tried his hardest, rarely complained, was a true gamer, won 5 World Series, was nicknamed "Mr. November" - he is absolutely a Hall of Famer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 04:08 AM)
So it's Jeter's fault that the Hall of Fame committee severely underrated both Trammell and Whitaker? Because Larkin will be in the Hall of Fame.

No, but if he played for, say, Seattle or Milwaukee and didn't have the fortune of playing on so many ridiculously stacked teams, he'd likely be just as overlooked.

Of course he's a Hall of Famer, he's a lock. We're just speculating how much of a lock he'd be if he hadn't played for the Yankees.

(those guys are all Hall of Famers in my mind, btw)

Edited by zirc

There are 28 players with 3000 or more hits and 50 with 2762 hits or more (though that number will continue to go up as that player is Alex Rodriguez). Of the 28, only 4 are not in the Hall of Fame. Two of them are not eligible - Jeter and Biggio - one is banned - Rose - and one is essentially banned - Palmeiro.

Of the remaining 22, 6 are not in the Hall of Fame. The only one who is eligible to be elected to the Hall of Fame is Harold Baines (and he may be ineligible now due to a lack of votes, which is unfortunate if true...I'm simply too lazy to look it up). Bonds and Vizquel are going to be the interesting cases in that, but I believe both will be in eventually (that is, if Bonds is not banned from the game himself at some point in the next few years).

Of the next 50, 24 are in the Hall and there are anywhere from 4-5 players who could be in from that group. I say "4-5" and not simply just "4" (those being Tim Raines, Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, and Frank Thomas) because I believe you guys have missed the boat on the the most interesting player. Amongst that group is a player with a career OPS+ of 104, 45 fWAR, 50.8 bWAR, and, oh, 4 years in Boston and 4 years in New York, winning a World Series at both stops. He should not be a Hall of Famer - it is not the Hall of Slightly Above Average Who Was One Time Underrated But Is Now Very Much Overrated By Most Modern Members of the Media - but he probably will be, 5-7 years into his eligibility, which will cost someone else some votes, which is sad.

Of course, I'm talking about Johnny Damon.

Here's a funny one for you. Two players, both played, for the most part, in the previous 20 years. Both were CFers, though one was viewed as good enough to remain in CF for pretty much the entirety of his career. Here are their career splits, OPS+, hits, homers, fWARs, and bWARs. One of them is Damon, and he was obviously not good enough to play CF his entire career.

John Doe - .271.332/.442/.775, 104 OPS+, 2548 H, 304 HR, 44.3 fWAR, 40.5 bWAR

J. Damon - .286/.353/.434/.788, 104 OPS+ 2686 H, 225 HR, 45 fWAR, 50.8 bWAR

I've never heard anyone clamoring for Steve Finley to be a Hall of Famer

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
keithlaw keithlaw

I guess Jeter couldn't handle dating someone with more range than he has

:lolhitting

Did you guys notice Jeter is hitting .300 again? What ESPN fails to mention is that he will have the lowest ISO of his career this season if he keeps it up. He's getting ever so close to Juan Pierre.

What have you done? Breaking up with Minka Kelly? Now fathom will have a dilemma with his marriage...at the very least, she will have to be installed on his newly-revised list of the Top 3 or Top 5 celebs you can have sex with (no consequences or questions asked) if you actually met them in real life.

Jeff Passan (yahoo sports)

This is is my 4-3a culpa.

Sorry, Derek Jeter(notes).

E-me.

I was the nincompoop who started calling you 4-3ter when you couldn’t stop grounding out to second base.

I was the schlemiel who said your walkup music should be the beep from the Emergency Broadcasting System.

More From Jeff Passan25 things you didn't know about baseball Aug 25, 2011 Critics fuel Big Papi's historic production Aug 24, 2011

Derek Jeter picked up three hits against the Oakland A's on Aug. 23.

(Getty Images)

I was the dolt who in mid-April figured your decline steep, in May and June felt like he was ahead of the curve and today – well, today I’m here to say I was wrong.

Because even if luck is playing a decent hand in your seven-week-long tear and you’re due for a regression soon, it’s obvious you’re not done.

Now, you’re not the Derek Jeter of your prime. Nor should you be at age 37. Just because the Yankees pay you like an elite shortstop doesn’t mean that’s the standard to which you ought be held. Considering the dearth at the position, you are plenty adequate, which I promise is no backhanded compliment. If I were trying for that, I might compare you to Yuniesky Betancourt(notes).

Since the All-Star break, you’ve swung the bat better than Yuni – not to mention Asdrubal Cabrera(notes), Yunel Escobar(notes), Starlin Castro(notes), J.J. Hardy(notes), Jhonny Peralta(notes), Jimmy Rollins(notes). Every shortstop except Troy Tulowitzki(notes) and Cliff Pennington(notes). Your line-drive rate of late hovers near 30 percent, and while you’re still as grounded as an electrical circuit, at least you’re hitting the ball with more authority.

You need to, of course, because your defense remains subpar. Ultimate Zone Rating says you’re about average. Defensive Runs Saved says you’re abysmal. The truth is somewhere in between, enough to justify keeping you in place to begin next season, when Paul Olden will take to the public-address system and introduce …

1. Derek Jeter as the New York Yankees’ shortstop for the 17th consecutive season. It’s a remarkable number for any everyday player to stick at one position, let alone one in the middle of the diamond, and in one uniform no less. It’s why Jeter’s miserable first three months were such a big deal: Every athlete falters, and it never gets any easier to witness it unfold in plain sight.

Fact: Jeter’s contract would’ve kept him in next year’s lineup. His bat is now giving the Yankees ample reason to believe he can stay atop the order, too. Jeter’s .344/.401/.444 line since the All-Star break recalls his prime, though a .397 average on balls in play during the time does indicate not all of this is skill, that he didn’t one day wake up and remember how to hit.

Still, it’s been fun watching Jeter rediscover himself. Ten of his last 14 games have been of the multi-hit variety. Only three regular shortstops – Tulowitzki, Jose Reyes(notes) and Escobar – have higher on-base percentages this year than his .358. His season is beginning, in many ways, to resemble 2008, which he finished hitting .300/.363/.408. Today, he’s at .299/.358/.389.

And in 2009, remember, Jeter had arguably the second-best season of his career. Which isn’t to say that in 2012 he’ll put up numbers anything like …Troy Tulowitzki

10. Derek Jeter and sapped the dignity that drove him through those miserable days. Jeter faced constant questions from outside and in his own head, constant criticism from the same two places. It’s one thing being a perfectionist; it’s another being one with an audience.

Around the All-Star break, when a calf strain sent him to the disabled list, Jeter reached a crossroads. His slugging percentage was still barely above .300. He could’ve done the Adam Dunn(notes): start awful, get worse. He could’ve done the Dan Uggla(notes): start awful, catch fire.

He went the Uggla route. Jeter started pulling the ball more. He continued to obliterate left-handed pitching. He ignored the issues in his personal life – he reportedly broke up with longtime girlfriend Minka Kelly – and recaptured the verve that for so long defined him. He’ll have games like Sunday’s, sure, in which he went 0 for 4 with three groundouts. Until those become commonplace again, he’s no longer a question mark. If anything, Jeter is an exclamation point.

And so for all the jokes, all the cracks, all the snide remarks from the comfort of a press box, I’m sorry, Derek.

Good to have you back.

Edited by caulfield12