Sox are looking for a righty reliever?

Baron

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Then...you better be willing to give up the price for a releiver who is substantially better than Tony Pena.

I think all 3 of the Padres relievers they are shopping are substantially better than Pena

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
You better believe it's Viciedo going to the Padres if we get Bell or Adams.

That would be one of the most miserable things that could possibly happen. I don't even want to entertain the thought.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
I don't think Kenny would make that mistake.

How do people think we're going to outbid other teams who are desperate for relief pitching and get Bell or Adams (maybe top two relievers available) with our miserable farm system without having to give up Viciedo? Andy Wilkins...really? Each team probably has 2 players like him in their minor league system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
How do people think we're going to outbid other teams who are desperate for relief pitching and get Bell or Adams (maybe top two relievers available) with our miserable farm system without having to give up Viciedo? Andy Wilkins...really? Each team probably has 2 players like him in their minor league system.

I don't think Kenny will see the need to be as great as the price ultimately requires.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
I think everyone has to remember that they were willing to trade Viciedo before. Wouldnt surprise me to see him gone for a top reliever.

If you are 100% all in and you really mean it...that's a move you'd actually do.

Problem is we may be all-in and holding an 8 high.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
I think everyone has to remember that they were willing to trade Viciedo before. Wouldnt surprise me to see him gone for a top reliever.

But they supposedly were very careful about him last trade deadline...I don't doubt for a second that he would be traded for what was deemed the "right" player...but I think Kenny has learned that a reliever is not that player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
If you are 100% all in and you really mean it...that's a move you'd actually do.

Problem is we may be all-in and holding an 8 high.

Right well they have time to decide what they want to do.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
But they supposedly were very careful about him last trade deadline...I don't doubt for a second that he would be traded for what was deemed the "right" player...but I think Kenny has learned that a reliever is not that player.

Yeah well like last year it wasnt either. Right after the deadline when our pen started getting riddled with injuries. Maybe they are preparing for the worst or something to that affect.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
I'm done with this team if Viciedo is gone for a RELIEVER.

I'm with you on that. I'd actually cancel our season tickets for 2012 if that happened. Having said that, there is no way KW trades Viciedo. He refused to give him up last year. Don't remember hearing that he was being offered in trade talks in the past. IMO, Viciedo is one of KW's last signs of credibility as a GM. If he becomes a star hitter, it will take off some of the heat from some of his other moves, such as the Hudson deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
I'm with you on that. I'd actually cancel our season tickets for 2012 if that happened. Having said that, there is no way KW trades Viciedo. He refused to give him up last year. Don't remember hearing that he was being offered in trade talks in the past. IMO, Viciedo is one of KW's last signs of credibility as a GM. If he becomes a star hitter, it will take off some of the heat from some of his other moves, such as the Hudson deal.

No way? He wasnt untouchable last year during the trade deadline. For the right player he would have been gone. Im sure Kenny will have the same mentality this trade deadline.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)

Well, that's not exactly true. The story at the time, IIRC, was that Williams told the Nats GM Rizzo that he could have anyone he wanted from the Sox' system for Dunn - and that included Viciedo. The refusal was that of Rizzo to take Kenny up on that offer and accept Viciedo as fair payment for the "services" of one Adam Dunn.

Just imagine if we HAD traded Viciedo for Dunn...as it stands, we lost that first round draft pick, but the pitchforks really would have been out in full force were Viciedo putting up similar numbers in the majors (for the Nats) to what he's doing in AAA.

It would be even more amusing with Morse also raking and our obvious offensive problems back in Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
No way? He wasnt untouchable last year during the trade deadline. For the right player he would have been gone. Im sure Kenny will have the same mentality this trade deadline.

KW and Rizzo said that year that Viciedo was absolutely not available

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
KW and Rizzo said that year that Viciedo was absolutely not available

I dont remember hearing that at all...Gordon for sure but not Dayan. Id like to know where you heard that.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
I remember the same thing. The Sox were willing to part with Flowers, not Dayan.

Looking over the trade deadline rumors from last year it seems they were willing but not with Hudson

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Looking over the trade deadline rumors from last year it seems they were willing but not with Hudson

This is what I recall.

The Sox were willing to do Viciedo for Dunn, but not Viciedo + Hudson for Dunn or Viciedo + Jackson for Dunn.