Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman

Among scouts/execs seems momentum now #Whitesox Quentin will be dealt and team I hear as frontrunner most is #Braves

i dont know how to feel about trading quentin, for the future obviously its good but imagine how much worse the offense would be(if thats possible lol)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
i dont know how to feel about trading quentin, for the future obviously its good but imagine how much worse the offense would be(if thats possible lol)

I really doubt KW would deal Quentin without getting someone who would help the big league club this year. He's probably figuring on Viciedo taking over RF so he may get a major league ready pitcher enabling him to trade another pitcher for a bat or something. He'll get prospects for sure but I believe he'll also get at least one major league ready player. It's just not in KW's DNA to give up while being only 3 games out of first in July.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
Look at it this way - The Sox aren't winning anything this year without Dunn and Rios coming around. If those guys start hitting then they can win with Dayan in Qs place.

I love this point! :notworthy

It would have to take one hell of a haul to move CQ right now. I'm not saying that it's not possible. Especially with De Aza and Viciedo essentially ready to play in the major leagues. An OF rotation of Juan, DeAza, Viciedo, Rios, and Lillibridge really wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially if we replenish the farm by trading CQ. It would be a calculated payroll maneuver, but it wouldn't be a white flag.. seems like exactly what the Sox are doing right now.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)

If they trade Quentin, it's because they don't believe they have what it takes to win this year (IMO). Sure, Viciedo can put up some strong numbers, but if you're going for the pennant, then you don't trade Quentin. I'd be so impressed by Kenny if he does this, as if you're going to turn over the roster....you go "all in" with players available. I look at our roster, and there's not one person outside of Santos that should be untouchable.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
If they trade Quentin, it's because they don't believe they have what it takes to win this year (IMO). Sure, Viciedo can put up some strong numbers, but if you're going for the pennant, then you don't trade Quentin. I'd be so impressed by Kenny if he does this, as if you're going to turn over the roster....you go "all in" with players available. I look at our roster, and there's not one person outside of Santos that should be untouchable.

i agree that theres no way you trade santos. closers are tough to find, especially good ones like santos and theyre really expensive and we have him for cheap for a while

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)

I don't think anyone on the roster should be "untouchable" including Santos. That is for the right deal, of course.

I like what it looks like KW is trying to do - reload while remaing in contention. Let's see how successful he will be.

From rotoworld:

The White Sox are still very much in contention in the American League Central, however, so it's going to take a serious package of talent to lure them into a trade. Quentin, 28, has a solid .863 OPS and 20 home runs in 96 games this season. The Braves, thus far, have been his most active suitor, but the Phillies are also known to have interest.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
I don't think anyone on the roster should be "untouchable" including Santos. That is for the right deal, of course.

I like what it looks like KW is trying to do - reload while remaing in contention. Let's see how successful he will be.

For my money, there isn't an untouchable player in baseball, and there never has been. It's the nature of the sport. One player can't win you a World Series.

2-3 above average players > 1 great player.

In basketball, it's completely different. One great player can take you all the way. Take Jordan for example, he was so good that he made Pippen appear to be one of the best 50 players of all time.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
For my money, there isn't an untouchable player in baseball, and there never has been. It's the nature of the sport. One player can't win you a World Series.

2-3 above average players > 1 great player.

In basketball, it's completely different. One great player can take you all the way. Take Jordan for example, he was so good that he made Pippen appear to be one of the best 50 players of all time.

I disagree. Give me Albert Pujols over 2-3 above average players every day. Above average players make you good, but great players make impacts.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Look at it this way - The Sox aren't winning anything this year without Dunn and Rios coming around. If those guys start hitting then they can win with Dayan in Qs place.

Or, look at this way - The Sox are 2 games out in the loss column without Dunn and Rios contributing jacks***. So I think they can win the division without them coming around. And I think we can make a run in the playoffs with our pitching staff. However, I don't think we can expect Dayan to replace our 2nd most productive hitter, CQ, and be just as productive. That's too much to ask. So if we trade him then it's pretty much a signal that we're done. And if we're done, he needs to go "all in" on being done and not try to sell us some snake oil idea that we're still in this thing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
I disagree. Give me Albert Pujols over 2-3 above average players every day. Above average players make you good, but great players make impacts.

I'll take my chances with 3 above average players having more opportunities to make an impact than Pujols. Unless, you're the White Sox, all 3 players aren't going to be slumping at the same time thus increasing your chances to make something happen.

It probably comes down to what we consider above average though.